Defender first impressions

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Part 1 new Defender exterior first impressions

Before we can get to the review I must address the elephant in the room.
The Classic Defender.
The Classic Defender is an icon. Plain and simple. If you want the new Defender to be just like the Classic Defender, then get a Classic Defender. Not getting either, but complaining about the new Defender is like arguing over what Batman was the best. At the end of the day it's just nonsense and we all know the right answer is Christian Bale
Onto the New Defender or as we are calling it in house Defender 2 The First thing I noticed when walking up to the Defender 2 was the size. The truck is way bigger in person, not overpowering big but yet you feel its presence. From ten feet away you know it was purpose built. If I had to sum up my first site to just one word it would be, SOLID. I immediately made my way to the front. I had to see the headlights for myself. Like most, I wanted the lights to be round and did not enjoy the angry eyes lights as they have been dubbed. Standing for a long pause in the front I felt my head leaning to the side like a confused dog. I was so ready to feel disappointed and let my internet rage troll out, but it did not happen. I don't want to admit this, but the lights work with the body and after a few minutes they become the new norm. By the end of the weekend I stopped noticing that they were not completely round. Moving from the front to the back, I stood five feet from the truck and just smiled. Not a kid getting a cookie smile, I went full Grinch smile. The kind that makes your ears hurt. Simply put they got the back of the truck right. It is so good! The Door mounted spare tire sits above the rear bumper with room for a lager tire. 35in tire perhaps? The tail light setup is perfect. It's modern, behind body led lights that stay out of harm's way but feel reminiscent of the old style with light guards. The rear end folded metal trim in the body is a direct call back to the galvanized end caps on the Series. Finally the classic Defender belt line, pure beauty. When you get to see one in person, just stand and look at the back of the truck. You will feel the adventurous spirits of past generations begging to make their own stories with the Defender 2. If you don't buy a Defender 2, you will definitely enjoy following one on the trails. The next stop in my must see list was the body color landing pads. These are the floating squares that act as protection from the side mounted accessories. With the ladder and side box attached you can not see them. With out those accessories installed they stick out and feel like an afterthought. That is my biggest visual complaint about the new design. Here's the rub, as an enthusiast I am conflicted to complain about a function over form design. Land Rover gave the truck an extra option to help it on adventures off road, and I’m complaining about that?
My head hurts.
If I put emotion aside and go full logic like the birth of the original Series, the obvious reason the Defender 2 has a rounder front end is to conform with the global laws. One must then consider that the engineers at Land Rover are on the side of the enthusiast, fighting the play it safe everyone gets a trophy world we now live in, to make the Defender 2 the best they can. What a daunting task that must have been for a low volume manufacturer to keep their thirsty signature off roader world compliant. Let that thought settle for a minute.
Now ask what has the Land Rover enthusiast base done to thank the engineers tasked with this endeavor? Endlessly complain of course, because the Defender 2 does not look like a toaster. Are you starting to feel all the Trolls on the inter webs may be wrong? I think so.
More to follow.
Justin Lucky8 Off Road
Photos generously provided by Chris Jeyes

Attachments

• 20200115_4xFar-1030661.jpg
    20200115_4xFar-1030661.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:

JackW

Explorer
So how long until you guys have a set of rock sliders ready for the new 110? I'm not taking mine off road until a set of your sliders is mounted on it. I learned that hard lesson at Tellico with my Range Rover a lot of years ago. The build order for my new 110 is going in the system this week.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
@Jack - what powertrain are you going with? As a minimum I would need the 3.0L MHEV with the large cost adder. The long term cost with that engine are a concern.

JackW

Explorer
Well, I really wanted the Ingenium 6 diesel but it doesn't look good for diesels in this country and the MHEV sort of scares me so I'm going with the P300 4 cylinder turbocharged gasoline engine.
I'm an old guy so I don't need a lot of horsepower but I'm really going to miss the 450 ft-lbs of torque in my Discovery 5 TDV6.
At least the 4 cylinder Defenders are supposed to have 4.10 gears in the differentials instead of the 3.55 in the six - that should help off road.

I'm getting ALL of the off road goodies EXCEPT the stupid lunch box and the ladder so it should be a bit of a beast off road. The guys that went out for dealer training last week were all raving about it but none of the local guys drove a 4 cylinder version.
They did say the six was FAST on the open road.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
So how long until you guys have a set of rock sliders ready for the new 110? I'm not taking mine off road until a set of your sliders is mounted on it. I learned that hard lesson at Tellico with my Range Rover a lot of years ago. The build order for my new 110 is going in the system this week.
It will be one of the first things we do. Im hoping 6 weeks.

Thanks for the post Lucky8; I personally would like to see this thread stay for those who actually have "first impressions" when they HAVE/HAD hands on like the few of you have. Then, as people get their deliveries or test drives in; they too can post "first impressions from first hand knowledge" other wise we just get another "RAGE/HATE/WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO CONFIGURE YOUR DEFENDER DREAM SHEET LIST" thread like the other fifteen we see on the Portal.

Or just make this the "LUCKY 8 IS BUILDING THESE PARTS BECAUSE WE THINK WE CAN MAKE THEM WORK" Thread; which I think we all would like to see.

Just my two cents!

Oh, and yes!

oobviCG.jpg

JackW

Explorer
It will be one of the first things we do. Im hoping 6 weeks.
I spent some quality time looking at the sliders you guys built for the D5 Trek trucks at Land Rover North Point and they are very impressive. It will probably be the first accessory I add to my new 110 when it gets here.

Full underbody aluminum protection with sliders would be first out of anything.

I'd take a hidden winch for a real solid rear bumper with swing out and accessory carrying options on the back over new front full bumper if I had to choose.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Global laws?

Nobody seems to mind that Italian cars and motorcycles don't meet noise standards in almost any modern country. Wonder why? Sometimes conforming to everything.......ain't so great a game plan.

''Braap aaaaawwwwwn, awwwwwwwn, awwwwwn.''

I hope the defender is nice though.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
I spent some quality time looking at the sliders you guys built for the D5 Trek trucks at Land Rover North Point and they are very impressive. It will probably be the first accessory I add to my new 110 when it gets here.
Thank you for the kind words. Those sliders where a labor of love. At most times it was more labor then love but they turned out perfect.

DieselRanger

Thank you for the kind words. Those sliders where a labor of love. At most times it was more labor then love but they turned out perfect.
I'll be buying some for my D5 as soon as the annual bonus hits this spring. I have a wee bit of trail damage from flipping over a loose rock into the door just behind the right front wheel well...so can't wait to get the sliders on!

Blaise

Thanks for the first impressions! I AM SO HOPEFUL THAT IT ENDS UP BEING GREAT IN PERSON. To drive, that is.

Global laws?

Nobody seems to mind that Italian cars and motorcycles don't meet noise standards in almost any modern country. Wonder why? Sometimes conforming to everything.......ain't so great a game plan.

Since when do italian cars/motorcycles not meet noise standards? Or are you trying to say the US is the exception... or not a modern country?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles