Camper Build for JDM 4x4 Toyota Dyna Truck

FireAce

I have been reading the forum for a while now and following other’s builds but figured it’s time to start a thread for my own camper build being as I got a basic start in the fall. Also looking for input as I go from other forum members as this is my first camper build or overland vehicle of any sort.

First, the details on the truck:

08215d8e5e9a601e64e549169b972b5c.jpg

The picture above is from the day I picked up the truck. I imported the truck from Japan just over a year ago, it’s a retired fire truck. Came with lights, sirens and all! Been a bit of a project vehicle to turn it into an overland rig but so far progress has been good, albeit a little slow.

The truck is a 2000 Toyota Dyna (Sometimes referred to as a ToyoAce or HiAce Truck depending on the market.)
Quite the burly little truck, it’s 4wd with manual locking AISIN hubs and push button engagement. It’s a 5spd manual transmission with 4H and 4L. It has a naturally aspirated diesel 3.0L inline 4 engine (Referred to as a 5L engine). IFS front suspension, solid rear axle, and according to the manual, the chassis is rated at 1.25 tonnes!

The truck is the four-door version which seats 6 and comes with a 6.5’ box. It’s pretty basic inside with manual windows, locks, seats, etc., but did come with air conditioning which is a bonus! The best part is, there was only 12,000kms on the clock when I got the truck. It has lived its entire life in a garage so not a speck of rust on it either.

Being as many ask, the truck handles well on the highway despite the old Diesel engine and lack of a turbo. The truck cruises along at 110kph without much trouble and can be pushed to 120kph but the rpms start to get a bit high. It slows to 80-90kph on big hills and mountain passes but otherwise is reasonable for highway driving. I average around 23mpg which isn’t bad at all for a truck with an old-school diesel engine.
I’ll probably start a separate build thread for the truck itself so this thread will mostly focus on the camper build.

Here’s a few more pictures before any modification..

1d84afca96796fc60fea77a631a639ca.jpg

f180bf08110518530eefa528e4a5d942.jpg

Tarp canopy removed and ski box added ready for its first road trip to Utah! (I live in the Banff, Canada area)

90568d809647c028138112289a90b4f7.jpg

With 4runner wheels/bigger tires added which made a huge difference for the look of the truck:

94dd88dc9678288fe8d5069bf484e0f0.jpg

Starting to get a thirst for adventure...

0484df5f77390cc2d250ba7ff04d2998.jpg

Metal framing stripped off the back and roof rack installed over cab:

cb0f367f8332fd3e363a0ef0247e58a1.jpg

9e67acef251c18ac95299836334b8eb2.jpg

Rear step removed and the camper shell ready for test-fitting:

68f247783e234e2649cdf327e948b515.jpg

More on the camper to come...

Last edited:

FireAce

You didn't have trouble jumping through DOT/EPA hoops?

I’m in Canada, after 15 years it’s pretty much free-reign on importing vehicles.

That looks like a great truck. More on the camper build please. Also noticed right hand drive like here in Australia.

I’ll post up a few pictures of the camper on the truck, the camper is an old utility body, built by Nortruck in Calgary Canada but the company has gone out of business. It’s 100% aluminum so a reasonable weight and relatively easy to modify. More details to come when I have time to take some pictures and do a full write up!

FireAce

Here’s a few pictures with the camper on the truck, truck drives great with the camper on. Actually smoother with the suspension settled a bit. I wanted to get it on and try it out before proceeding with the build to make sure it was going to work ok with the truck. So far very happy with it. Best of all, with the diesel engine, gas mileage didn’t change significantly at all!

b2fdf4b6931baef57ff937c76a926c74.jpg

361ab5d09a1a24f3aeb4928ee5c8bd8e.jpg

e9fb1aa1f90bbc2b119b197e15d98d99.jpg

574c34209519a02f4aa45731496a0ec5.jpg

83825e76794a17267ad6ab0e75e4018a.jpg

shirk

Oh how I really wish Toyota had brought these Dyna's to Canada. I need a suitable "small" rig that can haul our family of 4. Do you mind sharing how your import worked for you? Did you do everything yourself or did you use a service. Ball park on what the total cost of import was?

What are your plans with the utility body?

Ark

Ha! I nearly had a wreck trying to get a picture when you passed me on my way home from work back in October. You have a fine looking build there. I’ll echo the above comments. More pics of the interior please!

37344BDB-54E0-434F-9525-EC2B5EEAD046.jpeg

FireAce

Ha! I nearly had a wreck trying to get a picture when you passed me on my way home from work back in October. You have a fine looking build there. I’ll echo the above comments. More pics of the interior please!

View attachment 563219

Haha, you’re not they first to almost wreck while checking out the truck! We get some pretty funny looks everywhere we go.

Guessing this was in SLC? We were on our way to the desert for some sun and off-road adventures.

Ark

Haha, you’re not they first to almost wreck while checking out the truck! We get some pretty funny looks everywhere we go.

Guessing this was in SLC? We were on our way to the desert for some sun and off-road adventures.

Yep, you are correct. SLC

FireAce

Oh how I really wish Toyota had brought these Dyna's to Canada. I need a suitable "small" rig that can haul our family of 4. Do you mind sharing how your import worked for you? Did you do everything yourself or did you use a service. Ball park on what the total cost of import was?

What are your plans with the utility body?

I used a company out of Calgary to import it called Zen Auto. It’s a guy who imports vehicles as a side-gig and it was pretty painless. Totally worth the money in my opinion. He even came to the registry with me to make sure there weren’t any issues registering the truck.

Total cost of the import with shipping, mechanical inspection in Japan, import fees, out of province, etc. was about $6000 iirc. Not cheap but the truck was also a really good deal at auction.

The plan for the utility body is to turn it into a year-round camper, windows, insulation, heater, etc. Nothing too fancy, mostly just a comfortable place to sleep.

MarinersNW

Hi,

I am interested in getting a truck like this down in the states. Though mine will have to be a little bit older... This body style started in 1995 which is what I will be looking at. What is the wheelbase and track width of this awesome truck?

Lovetheworld

Awesome. It shares all the tech with our 4x4 Hiace van, but then this one will have a truck cabin on a seperate chassis?
Check if the rear axle has an LSD. Sticker on diff or axle code.

FireAce

Hey, see by the plate you're in Alberta Too. I'm in Rocky Mtn. House.

Nice! I’m west of Cochrane!

Hi,

I am interested in getting a truck like this down in the states. Though mine will have to be a little bit older... This body style started in 1995 which is what I will be looking at. What is the wheelbase and track width of this awesome truck?

I’ll check on the wheel base and track width and let you know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles