Which Overland Vehicle and Why?

Nathansharkey80

I wish it was required to state what state you live in because in North America you can find gas everywhere, diesel, not so much.

Now I am living in Europe/Asia (Georgia) however, my experience comes from living in New Zealand, Canada, and Texas for a while.

Like I said, diesel is found in more remote areas more often in my experience due to the amount of diesel generators running work sites and off-grid places, truck stops dotted all over, farm and construction equipment, ect... The beauty of diesel is that it doesn’t go bad like gasoline does. If you feel like gasoline is better due to the ease of access in your area, then obviously go for gasoline. However that being said, I have never found that. Having travelled from Alaska to Mexico, north island New Zealand to the South Island, all across Europe and in to Asia. Spain to Morocco and all through the Middle East.

I am not a fan of modern diesels at all. Unless you can cut out the emissions crap on them without legal issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billiebob

Now I am living in Europe/Asia (Georgia
Put that in instead of nothing. in Canada gas is everywhere, diesel not.
I've lived north of 60 for years, gas is always for sale retail, diesel is often only at the commercial cardlock.
How the heck does gas go bad if you drive it. Even in my lawnmower, snowblower it never goes bad between seasons.

All I can say about Europe is they are banning diesels in the urban centers.
In India they are converting from diesel to Compressed Natural Gas.
Diesel is at the end of its life like cigarettes.

Last edited:

Nathansharkey80

Put that in instead of nothing. in Canada gas is everywhere, diesel not.
I've lived north of 60 for years, gas is always for sale retail, diesel is often only at the commercial cardlock.
How the heck does gas go bad if you drive it. Even in my lawnmower, snowblower it never goes bad between seasons.

All I can say about Europe is they are banning diesels in the urban centers.
In India they are converting from diesel to Compressed Natural Gas.
Diesel is at the end of its life like cigarettes.

Diesel is not going anywhere anytime soon. Diesel is available everywhere in Canada. Gasoline goes bad after 6 months. So no one stores it in bulk. Diesel can be left for ten years and still be burned. Diesel engines are superior in every way to a gasoline engine. Period. All large marine engines are diesel. Industrial engines are all diesel. Even jet fuel and diesel fuel can in some instances be used as either or. Trust me. Diesel is not going anywhere.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Wait until you get a $12,000 repair bill for one. Diesels suck at that.

Heavy.
In the case of the Dodge, less room for suspension travel.
Noisy. Pull into my campground at night and we'll string you up.
Picky with fuel. Bad fuel = bad repair bills.
Heavy.
Fuel water separator is a pita on most of them.
DEF.
Less reliable. Fleets are switching to gas engines.
Particulate filters plugging.
Regen guzzles fuel.
Expensive.
Only saves fuel with the heaviest, largest loads. Fuel savings cost is hardly anything, at overlanding loads.
Heavy.

Marine and industrial engines are not all diesel. Not even close. I wish that was true.

Nathansharkey80

What engines are NATO usually running? I am sure they have done the cost benefit analysis on the topic.

85_Ranger4x4

Diesel is not going anywhere anytime soon. Diesel is available everywhere in Canada. Gasoline goes bad after 6 months. So no one stores it in bulk. Diesel can be left for ten years and still be burned. Diesel engines are superior in every way to a gasoline engine. Period. All large marine engines are diesel. Industrial engines are all diesel. Even jet fuel and diesel fuel can in some instances be used as either or. Trust me. Diesel is not going anywhere.

Agreed on it not going anywhere. There are a lot of things out there that pretty much have to be diesel.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
What engines are NATO usually running? I am sure they have done the cost benefit analysis on the topic.

This is the .GOV you are talking about, yes? Just to be clear.......

Seriously, just think about it. Then ask yourself when has the .GOV ever had a balanced checkbook....

Point being.... NATO does not use diesel for cost benefit reasons.

Reason #1 is simplicity. SFC

As it is, NATO is in a huge fix currently as a good percentage of vehicles being used are not 100% compatible with the latest diesel

Nathansharkey80

This is the .GOV you are talking about, yes? Just to be clear.......

Seriously, just think about it. Then ask yourself when has the .GOV ever had a balanced checkbook....

Point being.... NATO does not use diesel for cost benefit reasons.

Reason #1 is simplicity. SFC

As it is, NATO is in a huge fix currently as a good percentage of vehicles being used are not 100% compatible with the latest diesel

You obviously know more than the professionals at NATO and literally every single other military and NGO in the world. Gotcha. OK.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Mechanical diesels, nothing in common with todays modern computer controlled diesels and they run them to survive a nuclear event where the EMP kills anything running on a spark or electronic control. Hardly a practical concern for an overlander.
The FMTVs use a Caterpillar C7. Some of the MRAPs I think use the Navistar DT engines. They are a little behind mostly being EPA 2007 compliant for 15 ppm sulfur, Tier III, but aren't much different than might have been found in any commercial trucks, school buses, whatever up to 2010. These aren't the days of the 6.2L Detroit diesels anymore, military trucks now all have direct injection, turbos and ECUs, too.

Nathansharkey80

Mechanical diesels, nothing in common with todays modern computer controlled diesels and they run them to survive a nuclear event where the EMP kills anything running on a spark or electronic control. Hardly a practical concern for an overlander.

Hahaha you’re either joking or very misinformed. I won’t put any more time in to this argument with you. You already know everything.

D

Deleted member 9101

I would probably say a short bed 4-door full size truck would be about the right fit, but you will just have to suck up the daily driver bad mileage.

Most new full size trucks get the same or better than a mid sized... Especially when you add larger tires and cargo.

My F150 has zero problems getting 20-21 in traffic... Definitely better than my neighbors Tacoma. Lol

D

Deleted member 9101

For me as much as I wanted the diesel taking in the big picture it wasn’t worth the overall expense. The initial buy in is not the only factor to be considered.

Yep...and a lot of people get stuck with series of very expensive repair bills all so they can say "I HaVe a dIesEL tRucK!!!"

The gov't agency I work for did quite a bit of cost comparison and at no point could they justify the extra cost of a diesel truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles