Anyone have a high mileage LR3?

Ray_G

Explorer
Glad I found this thread. I will likely be in the market in a month or so for a truck and in my price range are LR3's and 1st gen sequoias. Love Toyota but always wanted a Rover product and from the research i've done the LR3 is a reliable design, which seems to be confirmed by this thread. I have a 2nd gen 4Runner for my toyota fix, but I know the Sequoias are low maintenance. It sounds like everyone is doing ball joints, control arms, brakes and tires every 30k. Is this the consensus? Other than that it doesn't sound like they are a headache. I can turn my own wrenches so i'm not as concerned about these items, I just don't want to have to drop $10k a year in repairs. Not expecting Toyota prices but I don't want to go broke driving it.

So what I've found owning both an LR3 and a Toyota Tacoma is that the Toyota is low maint-and thus cheap. Till it isn't. Then it is far from cheap.
The LR3 is relatively low maint, for a Rover especially so, so long as maintained as this thread highlights.

Not sure that you'll be doing all the things you mention every 30k. My control arms lasted longer than that, tires too (BFGs have, Nittos did not). Brakes, yeah you will be changing pads out but that's easy.
More importantly, as you note-if you can turn the wrench a lot of cost goes down.
r-
Ray

morrisdl

Adventurer
Over the past 10 years, I have done almost everything mentioned so far and electronic parking brake ($1000) and Rear Drive shaft ($340). Unfortunately do keep maintenance records and know to well that I have spent more on total maintenance than the original purchase price ($23.5K - Purchased used in 2009). Id love to forget this and just keep throwing money at it. A Big part of my maintenance numbers include 19 tires. You are welcome to checkout the list if you like. Turning your own wrenches and having a reasonable independent mechanic is a big help!

1578057363577.png

I should mention that I am at 150K miles with 2 to 3 off road trips per year.

johnsoax

Adventurer
On the iPhone, I use Road Trip...

I'm just under 160k miles on my 2006 LR3. It is my daily driver, and I put around 7500 miles a year in my 7 years of ownership.

Just replaced the rear upper control arms in my driveway December 26-28th. Never have three bolts been such a pain!.

Over the years, I had the dealer replace the front lower control arms, and I've replaced the off-road control panel (previous owner spilled a drink in it), spark plugs, two batteries, rear and front brakes (I'm at 60k miles on these brake pads and rotors!!), the front air block, a wire that feeds the front air block, Coolant expansion tank, both front wheel bearings, Thermostat housing, Alternator, some intake gaskets, windshield fluid reservoir, suspension compressor air dryer refresh, and then the whole compressor. I've found the Rover to be pretty straight forward to work on. And I work on it much less than the 96 D1 that I had before.

Looking at my stats, I'm at $256 a month with fuel and maintenance to drive this thing. Still love it.
LR3 Stats.pngBack on her feet.jpgBolt.jpgArm.jpgBolt Cut.jpg

Last edited:

A.J.M

Explorer
Tyres should last 30-35k depending on use and what kind they are.
I usually get about 40 out of brake discs, they usually warp before they wear out. Brake pads should get 20 or so, but I have EPC yellow stuff which do wear out quicker than factory stuff.

ball joints and arms... again depends on use.
I’ve had front lowers in for 5 years.
rear uppers lasted 5 1/2 years.

From experience. Cheap parts don’t last so it’s a fall economy to bother with them.
Get OE or similar.

For the sunroof drains. The pipes aren’t that expensive. I got both pipes and new end parts for £35. Fitted both myself.78608847-D93D-45C6-A83F-1DA8CF0AF4A7.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles