2009 Poptop Suburban Stealth Camper

Do you have any pictures with the rear seats up? And the third row or second row would go back in?
Hello!

The middle row seats will not reinstall, the third row seats would as they pop in and out from the factory without any tools. I do not have the third row seats, however, they can be purchased on Craigslist for a few hundred dollars.

NotThePainter

I'm curious, what would be the weight limit on the roof? We have two sea kayaks, 45 and 62 pounds, but then you need to add 80 lbs of Thule Hullavators and then, I dunno, 20 lbs for other Thule cross bars etc... So call it 200 lbs. Can you drive with that load? Can you park and raise the roof with that load?

I'm curious, what would be the weight limit on the roof? We have two sea kayaks, 45 and 62 pounds, but then you need to add 80 lbs of Thule Hullavators and then, I dunno, 20 lbs for other Thule cross bars etc... So call it 200 lbs. Can you drive with that load? Can you park and raise the roof with that load?
Hello! I don’t have a scientific answer for you on that one but I can say this, the shell itself is 120 lbs and is lifted with 4, 30lb gas struts. If you loaded it down the roof would need stronger struts to help lift it up, or you would only transport the boats on the roof and then remove them to camp.

Edoutdoors

What size is the hitch mount for a bike rack? How much tread is still on the tires? What type of system can be used for the direct drain, a regular bucket or something more enclosed? Any spot to put a porta potti? Is the pop top manual? Any dogs or cats been in the vehicle regularly? Thanks, Ed

What size is the hitch mount for a bike rack? How much tread is still on the tires? What type of system can be used for the direct drain, a regular bucket or something more enclosed? Any spot to put a porta potti? Is the pop top manual? Any dogs or cats been in the vehicle regularly? Thanks, Ed
Hi Ed,

The hitch is a 2” class 5 receiver. The drain line dumps straight outside the car so no buckets or storage are necessary for the gray water. The pop top is manual but I have lift struts to assist the opening. It can be opened and locked entirely from the inside of the car which is nice. We have had a dog in the car on a few trips but have since detailed it for the sale. There is a spot for a porta photo under the front edge of the bed. I would say about “14 tall, 14” deep and 20” wide.

Paisano3352

From the pictures, it looks like a real quality interior build you have here.
It’s a pretty awesome idea to have a camperized hi top on the suburban.

I looked into doing this same thing a few years ago and Colorado Camper Vans said yes, they would put a pop up roof on a suburban, but I never could find a newer low mileage truck making it worth that pricey investment.

And now I find that (too late for me!) that you’ve built basically the same cool rig...and that you are selling it at a reasonable price too! GLWTS

I have an 08 Suburban 2500 with the 6.0 and super strong 6 speed 6L90 transmission. It’s got 160k miles and purrs like a kitten. I’m currently building it out into an overland rig where eventually I’ll be dropping in a pop top roof like this one. Not sure if I’ll build it myself or have a pro do it. Don’t be afraid to buy a high mileage 2500. They’re out there and much cheaper than a Landcruiser with all the room Toyota’s could only dream of.

This is a nice build and I’m sure it’ll go to someone that will appreciate the work put into this. I’m glad others out there have the same ideas when it comes to building these rigs in this manner. Great job, man. GLWS.

8529735d2b38fe2433150a4b8a3e3f69.jpg

Last edited:
Very clean build. Just saw you’re in San Diego as well.

If the rig is still for sale next weekend, there’s a large van-life meetup at fiesta island (hosted by TheVanLifeApp). January 25. Could be a good spot to get some traffic checking it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles