Help with a F-350.

CaptainBuilt

I’m basically being given a 2003 F-350 dually. No engine, has transmission. And no bed.

It had a 7.3 PSD and its a 4x4 crew cab.

I have a 7.3 van now. I’m not afraid of finding a cheap 7.3 and rebuilding the motor and putting it in the truck.

Here’s what I’m thinking.

Make it a SRW, build a camper box on the back.

Or, leave it dually and build a bed / cradle for a slide in truck camper.

OR any other ideas? No, I don’t wanna pull a trailer other than a light trailer. No pulling a TD camper or full sized camper.

What would I need to make it SRW and just put on a lightweight camper box?

Throw suggestions at me. I’m open to almost anything that’s a all in one unit. I can literally build anything.

Last edited:

CaptainBuilt

My current setup.

dacc7693cbe05d977a82dd7bfa39c881.jpg

CaptainBuilt

What don't you like about your current setup that makes you want to change?

Super singles are definitely a must.

I would like more room and be able to stand up. Ideally I would like a 12ft SRW box truck. But I would also like a stand box camper like a slide in camper, that way I have a truck to use.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Super singles are definitely a must.

I would like more room and be able to stand up. Ideally I would like a 12ft SRW box truck. But I would also like a stand box camper like a slide in camper, that way I have a truck to use.

No, I meant your E-350. For a lot of folks what you have is already their dream camper!

CaptainBuilt

No, I meant your E-350. For a lot of folks what you have is already their dream camper!

Cab noise is pretty loud. Other than that, I’d like a little more room. But no biggie.

Other than the noise, it’s a perfect rig. Even tho it’s high mileage, still runs like a dream.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
We had an F350 4WD (somewhat older than yours :) ) with a slide-on for 12 years.
We quickly bolted the slide-on to the vehicle permanently so it was always ready to go. It was also cheaper for registration as a motorhome than a truck.
The other advantages are that water (and other heavy storage) is under the chassis instead of over it and there is no need for a tray making the rig lighter and more stable with a lower CofG.
I am not a fan of slide-ons.

1995 F350 Leonard G.jpg25.jpg
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

CaptainBuilt

We had an F350 4WD (somewhat older than yours :) ) with a slide-on for 12 years.
We quickly bolted the slide-on to the vehicle permanently so it was always ready to go. It was also cheaper for registration as a motorhome than a truck.
The other advantages are that water (and other heavy storage) is under the chassis instead of over it and there is no need for a tray making the rig lighter and more stable with a lower CofG.
I am not a fan of slide-ons.

View attachment 557301View attachment 557303
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

That’s a pretty nice setup.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
That’s a pretty nice setup.
It had a tough life.
The chassis cracked from time to time (in 6 different places eventually) and was plated and/or welded each time. And the camper suffered from the flexible chassis and eventually the walls separated from the floor. By that time the camper was not salvageable and was scrapped. The F350 was sold to a local horse breeder to tow a float through the paddocks and it lives on.
I replaced it with the OKA and built a new camper. Both vehicle and living section are vastly superior to the F350, but we did have an enormous amount of fun in that vehicle and it took us to some far corners of this country.
I do miss the sound of that 351 Cleveland. :)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior