2nd Gen Raptor Thoughts/Comments

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Somethings telling me you really don't use your PW as its intended, or at least like I do mine here in the South West. Disconnecting that SB allows it to articulate. Articulate as well as my 80 which is saying a lot. (they both have pretty much the same suspension design and one of the main reasons guys love 80's so much) Now that I can control the bar and lock rear in 2hi, it really opens up the truck more in less technical, slightly higher speed areas off-road, while softening the ride. I'm pretty heavy though, with the FWC, sliders, bumpers, gear, a dog or three; 9,600#.

You’re 100% Correct. 90% of the time my truck is a pavement pounder taking me to and from work. That said, it’s nice to have the off-road goodies when you need them. I also don’t need a 3/4 ton truck, but it’s nice to have more truck than I need.

In NW Montana we don’t exactly do a lot of rock crawling. It’s mostly forest service roads to get us to our hunting spots. A plain old Ram 1500 would do the trick more than 90% of the time, but the 12 year old in me prefers a bigger truck.

phsycle

Adventurer
You’re 100% Correct. 90% of the time my truck is a pavement pounder taking me to and from work. That said, it’s nice to have the off-road goodies when you need them. I also don’t need a 3/4 ton truck, but it’s nice to have more truck than I need.

In NW Montana we don’t exactly do a lot of rock crawling. It’s mostly forest service roads to get us to our hunting spots. A plain old Ram 1500 would do the trick more than 90% of the time, but the 12 year old in me prefers a bigger truck.

You’ve also got much more robust components (vs 1/2 tons) to handle some of them rough roads you got out there in Montana.

If you’re ok with the size and MPG, no reason to look elsewhere. PW’s are nice.

D

Deleted member 9101

Nope....total rice sounding. Horrible in fact. YMMV.

I would say " just pass them and you won't have to hear it..." But we all know the Raptor easily walks away from the competition....haha.

Also, my neighbor has a 100% stock 2018 and it's no louder than my 2.7. Doesn't sound anywhere close to being "rice."

D

Deleted member 9101

But a 5.0 V8 with some twin turbos would make a nice SVT version.
Some say I’m a dreamer.....but I’m not the only one.....

Yeah...if they make a 5.0 Ecoboost and shove it in a 1/2 ton....I'd definitely get in line to buy one. :)

phsycle

Adventurer
I don’t know what some of you are considering “rice”. Guess I’m not getting it. In no way shape or form does the Raptor EB sound like a tin can on a Civic. It doesn’t have the deep growl of the V8, but it’s got a nice sporty note to it. I Like it, personally.

I like it better than the Borla exhaust in this vid:

D

Deleted member 9101

I don’t know what some of you are considering “rice”. Guess I’m not getting it. In no way shape or form does the Raptor EB sound like a tin can on a Civic. It doesn’t have the deep growl of the V8, but it’s got a nice sporty note to it. I Like it, personally.

I like it better than the Borla exhaust in this vid:

I think their problem is they are to proud to admit that a 3.5L V6 smokes every V8 truck on the market. In fact, it flat out humiliates most of them with ease.

Also: it's not a 3/4 ton with solid axels, 2000 + payload, and a massive and inefficient motor...thus it's "rice."

D

Deleted member 9101

I’m sure Hennessy will give you what you need :D

Oh... The after market is all over the Coyote. There are a couple supercharged ones that show up to the track and run in the 11-12's and then drive home with no fuss.

HayStax

Well I have 30k miles on mine. Only complaint is with the rear spring pack and that is a known issue and easy fix with Deaver spring pack. I have an ARE shell and with camping or skiing gear the rear end squats and people hate my low beams. Will be doing springs next month. I love the 3.5HO and 10speed auto. Get 18mpg with 600 mile range. Get great mileage offroad. I bought it to use, haven’t babied it at all, and has pinstripes to prove it. It rides better than my wife’s Q7, but that is still the mpg king but gas is cheaper than diesel.

Bought it new last October and found a dealer in Ohio that was very good to work with, bought it for less than sticker. It’s a mid-tier 801A with all the options I wanted. Only complaint is Torsen limited slip front makes playing in the sand and snow a little less fun, front end hooks up and goes straight. It kept up to a built Dodge Cummins on 40”s at Pismo this March. His wheelbase was the main advantage over the Raptor but we were about even on power. A Power Wagon owner was riding with me and since then he has been shopping for a Gen2 Raptor

I have a ‘02 7.3 F250 and ‘11 6.7L F350 - the Raptor won’t replace either of those but it sure gets all the miles these days although I’m tempted to trade the diesels off on a new 2020 diesel some days but the price is staggering

My FIL has ‘18 5.0L XLT. It a nice truck, handles his Hawk camper much better than his ‘13, more power but worse mileage. Rides rougher than the Raptor but that’s to be expected. I bet my truck out pulls his but tongue weight will be the issue for me but that’s a known trade off. The Limited with 3.5HO will cost as much or more than a Raptor. You will spend a shitload of money making a regular F150 into a Raptor and you will be upside down from day one in terms of resale value

tacollie

Glamper
I’ve never seen one above 1,200lbs and most are around 1,100 or less.
My door sticker on my Tundra is right at 1500 but when they did the refresh in 14' they lost some payload. My buddy has a 16' of my truck and it's door sticker is only 1270lbs. It's important to look at the door sticker and not Google for payload.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Well good to hear! Just think of all the money I just saved you. A new Raptor. Pfft!

As a side note, that swaybar disco, will only unlock while not under torsional load, so if that front axle isn't pretty much on the same plane as the frame, it won't disconnect. (or reconnect for that matter)

I still like the Raptor, and it will have a place on the list when I start shopping. My current list is:
Ram Rebel TRX with the Hellcat Motor
Ram Power Wagon
Ford Super Duty with the Tremor Package
Ford Raptor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles