DIY camper box construction- what sizes/wall thicknesses have you used?

ckouba

Hi all,

I am pondering options for an expedition camper build and am curious to hear from any home builders who have used steel to build their habitation box. What sizes and thicknesses did you use?

My current thoughts make me think I am seriously over-spec'ing it. If you have built one, would you change what you've done if you were to do it again?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Joe917

Explorer
Chris, I would recommend you forget steel for the habitation. Its too heavy and conducts heat, look into composite panels. They are incredibly strong when assembled correctly, have almost no thermal bridging and can be ordered any size or in pre-cut kits or pre-assembled. I did not build our habitat (although I have redone most of the interior). It is a 25 year old, professionally built composite box (fiberglass,ply and foam) approx 2.5" walls 3.5"roof 4" floor. Comfortable from -20C to 30C over 400 000 km around the world twice and the box is still completely solid.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Hi all,

I am pondering options for an expedition camper build and am curious to hear from any home builders who have used steel to build their habitation box. What sizes and thicknesses did you use?

My current thoughts make me think I am seriously over-spec'ing it. If you have built one, would you change what you've done if you were to do it again?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

More than happy to send you a quote on our lightweight composite panel system. Cheers

javajoe79

Fabricator
Mine is all aluminum tube and skin with foam board glued in. 1" and 2" thick walls. It's pretty darn rigid and I've enjoyed the build but if I did another I would probably do composite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles