Tesla Cybertruck: The Future?

D

Deleted member 9101

What We need is pu238 batteries like satelites have for overlanding.

If all you want to power is a radio and charge your phone while making some heat in the process....they are great!

Also... The Russians used RTGs and lost track of them after the fall of communism. They were used to heat hunting cabins and people got some pretty nasty burns from them since they knew nothing about them.

On a side note, the modern RTG (like what's going in the next Mars Rover) is damn near indestructible. The core of it can take a massive amount of abuse with out compromising its integrity.n

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
So no chance of setting aside the usual drivel about Musk. Oh well.

Maybe I missed it, but has anyone in this thread said that other sources of renewable energy shouldn't be pursued? Has anyone claimed that simply using an EV makes it a "zero impact" option?

How far is the U.S. from having "renewable fuel technology" in place for widespread retrofitting and adoption?

Why are you so quick to dump all of that virtue signaling baggage onto prospective EV owners? Maybe they just want a vehicle that works better for them than an ICE powered vehicle, and an EV fits that requirement. No need to look down on anyone. One of Tesla's goals has been to make their EVs more affordable (which they've done). That runs counter to what you've said, doesn't it?

I see the need to improve electrical grids for more EVs as a good thing. A modern power system is a flexible asset that would seem to have more benefits than widespread adoption of "CYBER-NEW-SET-OF-FUEL-INJECTORS-AND-A-LITTLE-COMPUTER-BOX".

I agree. When I do get an electric vehicle it won't be a Tesla, and it will most likely be a smallish, lightweight vehicle (less charging time per mile due to a smaller battery needed). And it won't be to signal virtue or anything of the sort: It will be because it is practical - especially in periods where I'm on crutches or in a wheel chair (I'm an amputee). I don't ride a (cargo) bike due to virtue-signalling either - I ride my bike because I like it, it is practical in my daily life, and it is obviously healthy to use your body.

Although I drool over things such as the Rivian, and I would like an electric Defender sometime in the future, the reality is that I don't actually need such a big car on a daily basis. A very small one would be just as practical for me - perhaps more so.

D

Deleted member 9101

I agree. When I do get an electric vehicle it won't be a Tesla, and it will most likely be a smallish, lightweight vehicle (less charging time per mile due to a smaller battery needed). And it won't be to signal virtue or anything of the sort: It will be because it is practical - especially in periods where I'm on crutches or in a wheel chair (I'm an amputee). I don't ride a (cargo) bike due to virtue-signalling either - I ride my bike because I like it, it is practical in my daily life, and it is obviously healthy to use your body.

Although I drool over things such as the Rivian, and I would like an electric Defender sometime in the future, the reality is that I don't actually need such a big car on a daily basis. A very small one would be just as practical for me - perhaps more so.

The more I read about the Rivian, the more I like it. The only part I don't like is the price...haha.

D

Deleted member 9101

Haha, yeah, the price is quite high.

750 HP, a motor in each hub, and able to go through 36" of water.... It's probably a blast on a trail. What I loooove is the massive amount of built in storage.

Screenshot_2019-11-29-15-24-19.png

D

Deleted member 9101

Yup. I think it's worth the money, no doubt. It is an awesome truck by just about any measure (we know about).

It keeps pace with or out does my brothers 2019 Limited in pretty much everything but "range." The cost about the same too...lol.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
It keeps pace with or out does my brothers 2019 Limited in pretty much everything but "range." The cost about the same too...lol.

Yeah, it will be a bit more expensive here as we have 180 percent taxes on vehicles (more on expensive cars), and electrical vehicles won't be subsidised much longer.
But I was more talking about the other things we don't know of (dare I mention it), such as protection of the occupants and that of "soft" targets in traffic. That, and of course how well it is all put together. But I have high hopes in all those categories.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan

That is a perfect analogy! It has a dangerous design where you'll slide forward if braking, backwards when accellerating, it has sharp edges so it can cut your arteries in your thights (and the muscles, obviously), there is no protection for your legs whatsoever (weather/wind/tipping over), and it will be very sensitive to not only wind gusts (as in tipping over), but even the slightest of sidewind will attempt to rotate the box the front wheel is in. Oh, and of course, the windnoise and buffeting will be absolutely unbearable.
It is such a stupid design it is unbelievable.

erstwild

I find some of the continued harping about the angular design of the Cybertruck pretty rich. For one, it seems like most every vehicle build on here includes an aftermarket bull bar or front guard bumpers which renders most of them plenty deadly to pedestrians (or rutting deer). If people aren't already rhapsodizing about vintage boxes on wheels like land cruisers, defenders, g-wagons, etc. that lack modern safety features but are obviously commendable vehicles in their own rights for chosen applications.

I'm sure Tesla have paid some mind to safety requirements already if they ever plan to have something remotely like it on the road someday and/or can easily revise the entire front bumper assembly to something more suitable when they get closer to the final production design. Also, angular is the design language they are clearly going for deliberately.

Some of us who are not certain "get off my lawn, that don't look like no pickup I ever did see, no siree bob, that electric coastal limousine liberal commie mobile subsidized by MY hard working tax dollars threatens MY traditional red-blooded American masculinity, ATTACK, hur hur" people either clearly enjoy it for its novelty or are reserving judgement to debate the final design merits/pitfalls in person some day. If you do not like it, there will be more warmed over traditional looking options soon enough. Rivian looks impressive on its own merits too. Or another ICE steel chariot powered by exploding fossil juice for the daily cross-continent treks. All are fine for now.

Also, frankly, no one gives a fig what a certain member on here thinks about Muskie or insinuating everyone who give him even some vague benefit of the doubt are all gullible sycophants. Guy has problems and clearly so do you. People with problems (you included) can still sometimes or even frequently accomplish very interesting (good) things. Enough said. Although, I'm sure we will hear more soon enough, lol.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Also, frankly, no one gives a fig what a certain member on here thinks about Muskie or insinuating everyone who give him even some vague benefit of the doubt are all gullible sycophants. Guy has problems and clearly so do you. People with problems (you included) can still sometimes or even frequently accomplish very interesting (good) things. Enough said. Although, I'm sure we will hear more soon enough, lol.

LOL, calling out a shyster on all his hype and his lacking product means that person must be a shyster too. Isn't that convenient?

I guess anyone who through times wanted to warn people - and perhaps even legislate - against fraudsters and snake-oil salesmen must somehow be those things themselves.

Talk about trying to inoculate shysters against any and all criticism. Yet another carte-blancher.

Well, fortunately, legislation is in place in many countries, and need I remind you how poorly Tesla so far has handled its crash tests in Australia (i.e. ANCAP)?

Here are some highlights from that article. I guess that person (car safety cheif of ANCAP) also must have "problems":

He pointed to the most recent Tesla Model 3 ANCAP rating. While it scored five stars, the vulnerable road user score was the lowest of the four categories evaluated, at just 74 per cent.

Goodwin also questioned the thick steel “exoskeleton”, which Elon Musk says makes it tough and resistant to dents, something demonstrated by attacking the concept car with a sledge hammer, something that left no marks.

We would expect that a vehicle should be able to absorb some (crash) energy because if it doesn’t absorb some energy … it will be the people inside the vehicle who bear the brunt.”

But Musk is not a shyster trying to sell this "exoskeleton" as a good thing?

And as for @Shovel, he is very much on point: Musk is fraud - even these "deposits" all you "buyers" are paying (and most will get refunded) are only so he can get money from gullible investors because he can point to all those "orders".

erstwild

Tesla has successfully delivered more electric vehicles to date than any other manufacturer on earth. Still, unknown if they will make it sustainably profitable to survive, miss deadlines regularly, and have intermittent quality and parts availability issues. I see them constantly here in CA and owners seem largely satisfied and enthusiastic. That is not complete smoke and mirrors.

Yeah, guy made some very bad/irresponsible tweets (SEC fraud over going private and the diver fiasco) and smoked a blunt on a podcast (DOD contractor issue) equals WW2-era fascist dictator/mass murderer. That is a completely infantile comparison on the face of it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz