Trailscape's 06 Tundra

trailscape

Explorer
Wireless charger mod. It's not the prettiest thing, but it works great.

I used a cheap charger purchased from Amazon for the parts.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J5SN4NZ

The coil was first separated from the circuit board and attached to the front.
I drilled two small holes to run the leads through and soldered to the circuit board that is then glued to the backside.

I'm using the RAM Quick-Grip Holder. It works great for smaller phones.
Charger2.jpg

Used a couple hex nuts to provide clearance for the RAM ball mount.
Charger3.jpg

To clean up the front, I trimmed a piece of felt to fit around the coil and then added a piece of vinyl as a cover.
Charger1.jpg

trailscape

Explorer
I was having a new shop look at my truck today.

They were showing me some things underneath when I saw they had raised the truck by the leaf springs... :oops:

Has anyone seen that before? The cringe factor was high.

jim65wagon

I was having a new shop look at my truck today.

They were showing me some things underneath when I saw they had raised the truck by the leaf springs... :oops:

Has anyone seen that before? The cringe factor was high.
By the springs? How did they do that?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

trailscape

Explorer
The lift arms were placed below the leaf springs between the front of the tire and spring hangers. Wish I could have taken a picture.

Edit: Looked like this.
c25RiXk.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

jim65wagon

Never seen it done like that before, but realistically since the truck is held up by the leaf's anyway it won't damage anything. I'd be worried about it slipping off the pad if something bumped or shook the truck though

smokeysevin

Observer
It could potentially bend the overload leaf but its pretty damn thick. I would be more worried about it slipping off since its just a flat smooth plate.

Sean

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

trailscape

Explorer
It could potentially bend the overload leaf but its pretty damn thick. I would be more worried about it slipping off since its just a flat smooth plate.

Sean

That was a random picture I found. On the Tundra, only the top two leaves were supported. I think it was my air bags holding all the weight.

trailscape

Explorer
I noticed way back that my radiator rubs against the inside of the hood, especially the cap. I had to keep the hood bumpers adjusted a bit high to prevent it.

I've been looking into an all aluminum radiator and got to thinking maybe someone installed the double cab radiator in my access cab. I don't know if that's possible, but there is a height difference between the two.

So, I was looking at it today. There's an odd gap between the radiator hose and fan shroud.

D7F91C66-E8E1-4E8D-9AB9-0EC64ED10A5E.jpeg

jim65wagon

Definitely not right, but I'm unsure what's going on. I'll look at mine here soon.

smokeysevin

Observer
As a heads up, I just installed a champion all aluminum radiator 2 weeks ago. The hang tabs are in the wrong spot by about an inch and the mounts are on the cheaper side. The core and welded end tanks seem to be good quality but time will tell. I am really not thrilled about how it mounts so I may add a bottom support for it. I have not driven the truck yet but its still holding water so thats good.

Sean

trailscape

Explorer
As a heads up, I just installed a champion all aluminum radiator 2 weeks ago. The hang tabs are in the wrong spot by about an inch and the mounts are on the cheaper side. The core and welded end tanks seem to be good quality but time will tell. I am really not thrilled about how it mounts so I may add a bottom support for it. I have not driven the truck yet but its still holding water so thats good.

Sean

Huh.. Yeah I’m not so sure about these aluminum radiators now. I was looking at either a Champion or Liland but I think they are likely the same rebranded imports.

Maybe I’ll just get an OEM Toyota one. Looks like even the Denso version is from China now.

smokeysevin

Observer
Huh.. Yeah I’m not so sure about these aluminum radiators now. I was looking at either a Champion or Liland but I think they are likely the same rebranded imports.

Maybe I’ll just get an OEM Toyota one. Looks like even the Denso version is from China now.

I also waited like two and a half months for the rad to come in FYI. The people at champion were upfront with me about the delay but they also couldn't tell me when the part would be done. From memory, they only make them as needed which is fairly infrequently.

To be clear, the only thing I am complaining about is the mounting tabs, the rest is something I knew about beforehand. I wanted a replacement radiator without the plastic tanks since the current radiator is not the original.

Do I think an OEM rad would last me another 10 years? Probably.

Was I hoping for something more resilient? Yes.

Did I get that? Not sure yet.

Sean

trailscape

Explorer
This was in the works for a while. I see people add these racks all over their vehicles, but I wanted one where it was actually accessible.

I mounted several pieces of aluminum tubing between the headliner and roof to hold this in place. I got in touch with Orange Boxx Fabrication to make the rack in the needed specs.

Pretty stoked about the results.
IMG_0642B.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier