Spotted these in North Carolina

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Compact, capable, relatively simple, reliable, and with a big payload--a suite of attributes unavailable in the U.S. market.

How do you define relatively simple?

The 1VD (4.5 V8 diesel) is turbocharged (variable geometry) and common rail, and is probably happier on better diesel (my old H will run on cooking oil at a push). They are not infallible, and are becoming notorious for dusting up and also being hard to work on (I believe the starter or alternator is buried in the valley for packaging purposes...)

If you want an Africa-spec one, then you'll get a 1HZ from Toyota Gibraltar, or in South Africa a 1HZ, 1VD or 1GR-FE - and that's as close to simple as you'll get.

T-Willy

How do you define relatively simple?

The 1VD (4.5 V8 diesel) is turbocharged (variable geometry) and common rail, and is probably happier on better diesel (my old H will run on cooking oil at a push). They are not infallible, and are becoming notorious for dusting up and also being hard to work on (I believe the starter or alternator is buried in the valley for packaging purposes...)

If you want an Africa-spec one, then you'll get a 1HZ from Toyota Gibraltar, or in South Africa a 1HZ, 1VD or 1GR-FE - and that's as close to simple as you'll get.

I define relatively simple as the absence of most of the costly, failure prone, needless electro-gadgetry that complicates most touring trucks sold in the U.S.

Toyota Gibraltar Stockholdings is one of my favorite websites. The 1HZ 78 and 79 are my dream machines.

Cruisn

Adventurer
I define relatively simple as the absence of most of the costly, failure prone, needless electro-gadgetry that complicates most touring trucks sold in the U.S.

Toyota Gibraltar Stockholdings is one of my favorite websites. The 1HZ 78 and 79 are my dream machines.

Electrics that fail on us trucks wont stop them from starting..
I used to work on these vdj motors in OZ. they are a nightmare in certain aspects. but at the end of the day even the new crusiers have dpf filters and emissions stuff.
Strength wise, tough as nails still in some aspects (chassis, body panel design) otherwise, they are now built to the same spec as all emission related vehicles unless you get the Africa specs. which even come non turbo if you want. had one on the last mine site in Congo.

even the new hilux is a joke. that badge is all that is keeping them selling.
Fun fact on the 4.5 v8 the oil filter element is about the size of half a pop can. high stress high power diesel with poor filtration. actually the fuel filter is also small. Nissan has bigger filters.... move onto Mitsubishi, even bigger filters.

nickw

Adventurer
Electrics that fail on us trucks wont stop them from starting..
I used to work on these vdj motors in OZ. they are a nightmare in certain aspects. but at the end of the day even the new crusiers have dpf filters and emissions stuff.
Strength wise, tough as nails still in some aspects (chassis, body panel design) otherwise, they are now built to the same spec as all emission related vehicles unless you get the Africa specs. which even come non turbo if you want. had one on the last mine site in Congo.

even the new hilux is a joke. that badge is all that is keeping them selling.
Fun fact on the 4.5 v8 the oil filter element is about the size of half a pop can. high stress high power diesel with poor filtration. actually the fuel filter is also small. Nissan has bigger filters.... move onto Mitsubishi, even bigger filters.
This is some great first hand knowledge and what a lot of folks don't understand....many of the new cruisers, beyond the 1HZ's with as much HP as my 1978 FJ40, are complex rigs with complex emissions systems. The Africa spec rigs are great at what they were designed for, drive slowly, easy to maintain and robust....but can't imagine living with one of those day to day, including highway driving @ 100kmh +

Sounds like your opinion of the Hilux is fairly similar to many Aussies when I was there last year.....

Cruisn

Adventurer
This is some great first hand knowledge and what a lot of folks don't understand....many of the new cruisers, beyond the 1HZ's with as much HP as my 1978 FJ40, are complex rigs with complex emissions systems. The Africa spec rigs are great at what they were designed for, drive slowly, easy to maintain and robust....but can't imagine living with one of those day to day, including highway driving @ 100kmh +

Sounds like your opinion of the Hilux is fairly similar to many Aussies when I was there last year.....

Funny story about the non turbo 1hz, me and the missus work together on mine sites in congo, During lunch she asks me to look at her ute as its running slow. okay, no worries, I rock up with a new filter as the fitters are super bad at replacing them. clean... hmmm.. hop in for a test drive, most powerful non turbo I have ever driven. drop it back off and inform her of the power that is normal. trading the pajero for a cruiser is dead in the water..

But in all seriousness what the 1hz in the cruiser can do here is amazing. hell any pre 2000 vehicle from japan is on the same reliabilty in my books. toy, nis, mitsu all the same. love it and it will love you.

The hilux just isnt cut for tough work anymore. dpf problems all over, same issue mitsu had with my model of pajero, the actually deleted the dpf in the next model to solve problems till engineering fixed it. I have my removed, but it made it 250k with zero issues. so its the owner mostly. city vs highway and what not. the hilux even with open road driving still gave us issues. major suspension failures, struts snapping off at the base. cheap manufacturing. snorkels that fed water in like no tomorrow, wet air filters after every rain storm. ended up turning the snorkel heads around.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
My understanding is a deal between the Military and the DOT on a national level, they come in, people train and after some time they are sold and or exported per the agreement.

Tacoma13SR5

Observer
We ship these out all the time out of Dover. Several bases in the Carolina's are training bases for Special Forces and these are what they use. What a lot of people don't think about is the fact that the U.S. has a lot of companies that armor these vehicles for the overseas market. Hell, I got to drive a right hand drive 2018 Toyota Hilux last year that we sent to Afghanistan and it was registered in Maryland and came all the way from Thailand or Malaysia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne