Farewall Land Cruiser?

nickw

Adventurer
Rumors.
I’d still get a land cruiser over a ford. I dislike domestic car companies. Lost respect for them when they were bailed out. Yea ford revived 5 billion. The land cruiser is built light years better than an f anything. It will last longer.
I think the LC200's are much closer in spirit to 'modern' domestics than they are to a 70 series. Whenever this discussion of what's 'built' better comes up I always try and look at it two ways.....built could mean more robust or built could mean build quality. The F350 wins the first one hands down while the second one probably falls in favor of LC200. Although, with that said, 15 years from now, things may change, it's not like the LC200 is a simple machine. Mechanically they are robust given their payload constraints...but they have a lot of gizmos than can go wrong. A F350 used the same way as a LC200 is much more mechanically robust, its more simple, but are not built with the same standard.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It's why I bought a new Ranger over a F150/F250. Starting to regret that a bit now that we have a travel trailer, but I do drive in the city and like being able get around easier.
Maybe not the right forum for this but, can you expand on this?

I have a 3900 lb dry weight dual axle trailer now. I currently tow it with my F150 but thought I could downsize to a Ranger when it's time to change trucks....

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
It was Toyota who spec'd the frame they had Dana build and have been rotting out on the Tacoma for years. That nonsense started with the 1995 model and is currently affecting up to 2010 models with a limited service campaign. Toyota has let that fester and span two generations of trucks. I don't get why.

Be careful. All manufacturers have frame rot. Only Toyota is blamed for it.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
That may be true but I'm talking apples-to-apples comparing my 1991 to my 2008. I didn't get my 1991 until it was 10 years old and got my 2008 at 7. Both originally Colorado trucks and I'm the second owner of both.

Looking at it now at 11 years old the frame I doubt would have made 15 if I didn't take off the sliders to clean and paint the frame every spring. I never had to do anything special to the 1991 other than wash the mag chloride off once in a while during the winter and it's still on the road in Iowa now with their humidity and road salt. I imagine the body is getting pretty bad, it was pretty dented and starting to rust the sheetmetal.

I'm not saying Toyota didn't used to make good trucks, of course they did which is why we're here. I'm saying they make average ones now that they price based on their reputation from 20 years ago that I don't think is deserved anymore.

My point is they are not avg.

tacollie

Glamper
I've seen plenty of
That may be true but I'm talking apples-to-apples comparing my 1991 to my 2008. I didn't get my 1991 until it was 10 years old and got my 2008 at 7. Both originally Colorado trucks and I'm the second owner of both.

Looking at it now at 11 years old the frame I doubt would have made 15 if I didn't take off the sliders to clean and paint the frame every spring. I never had to do anything special to the 1991 other than wash the mag chloride off once in a while during the winter and it's still on the road in Iowa now with their humidity and road salt. I imagine the body is getting pretty bad, it was pretty dented and starting to rust the sheetmetal.

I'm not saying Toyota didn't used to make good trucks, of course they did which is why we're here. I'm saying they make average ones now that they price based on their reputation from 20 years ago that I don't think is deserved anymore.
When I was in high school in 01 my buddy had a 92' Toyota truck with rust holes in the frame and it ended up with a rust hole in the diff because it was from New England. Fun story. That's how we learned about different gearing. The junkyard axle we pulled had a different great ratio than his truck. We figured it out the first time he shifted into 4wd?

I've owned 4 Tacomas. They are mediocre in opinion. I don't ever see myself owning another one. Toyota is riding their reputation with the Tacoma. The Tundra is a better vehicle. They are a solid truck.

nickw

Adventurer
Maybe not the right forum for this but, can you expand on this?

I have a 3900 lb dry weight dual axle trailer now. I currently tow it with my F150 but thought I could downsize to a Ranger when it's time to change trucks....

So we just bought an 20' airstream that is about the same weight dry, 3750 and the GVW is 5000. Tows it perfectly fine, actually really well. A couple drawbacks for most folks is smaller gas tank and no factory towing mirrors, which are not really big deals, worth the trade-off IMO. Personally, my biggest issue is the bed size, I can't tow the trailer with a dirtbike in the back since I need to have my tailgate down (or get creative). I need (4) doors and the Ranger doesn't have the option with a longer bed.

Truck rocks, love it. Been to the dunes, several moto trips, (2) bikes and all the gear, kills it.

nickw

Adventurer
What does services to you mean? I’m not going to take any transmission back to the dealer and have them rebuild it. They’ll just ship it off and have it rebuilt somewhere else.
I would never be able to go to a ford dealer in Africa and buy a transmission never sold in Africa.

The tundra still has the biggest rear axle. 36 spline shafts. The 5.7 has had 6 bolt main since day one. It’s a whole package. I’m not saying it’s a 3/4 ton. But it is built pretty strong.

Using your example, Toyota is not going to do any work on a drivetrain they can't get OEM parts for. So if you wanna remove a trans, thats on you or a specialty shop. Diagnose EFI system, good luck. Rebuild birfs, no chance. If they can get stock, domestic parts (not stuff like H55's), they may do the work. But it's the reason specialty Cruiser shops and Rover shops abound. We have several here in Portland....

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Using your example, Toyota is not going to do any work on a drivetrain they can't get OEM parts for. So if you wanna remove a trans, thats on you or a specialty shop. Diagnose EFI system, good luck. Rebuild birfs, no chance. If they can get stock, domestic parts (not stuff like H55's), they may do the work. But it's the reason specialty Cruiser shops and Rover shops abound. We have several here in Portland....

They will work on my h55.

nickw

Adventurer
They will work on my h55.
So your tranny tanks a dump, you tow it into a dealership, you think they'll diagnose, remove, send it off (or replace) and re-install on a vehicle it was never originally built with. I find that very hard to believe, particularly on a rig they have no tribal knowledge with or any manuals to reference.

You'd stand a fighting chance with a fully OEM rig.....

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
So your tranny tanks a dump, you tow it into a dealership, you think they'll diagnose, remove, send it off (or replace) and re-install on a vehicle it was never originally built with. I find that very hard to believe, particularly on a rig they have no tribal knowledge with or any manuals to reference.

You'd stand a fighting chance with a fully OEM rig.....

It’s a Toyota transmission. The removal of it is no different than the h42 that came in it. It was in no way changed from factory.
Hell I took it to the dealer to have the valves adjusted. No problem.

Dalko43

Explorer

I just don't see where that is coming from.

Toyota's current crop of 4x4's and pickups certainly aren't trend setters or performance leaders, but they are well-built and reliable compared to the average domestic truck.

We really going to sit here and pretend that major quality issues plaguing FCA and GM, and even Ford to some degree, are in anyway comparable to what Toyota has experienced in recent years? The new Tacoma did not live up to its full potential, but the fact that owners still buy it in droves over the Colorado and Ranger should be indication enough of where buyers perceive higher quality and value.

You do a brief search on the NHSTA website and you can see which brand have more issues...it's not that hard to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94