What do you use for a truck gun?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Well not quite a 'truck gun', but this gun will be in the truck the next time I head out to the high desert -

leverinspect04.jpg

New production Marlin 1894, 20" bbl, .44mag. 10+1.
I'd seen all the horror stories about 'Remlin' quality problems and even a few negative tales of recent years. But it passed my own inspection and function checks so I called it 'good'.

Already figuring to put a 'big loop' on it (~$75), spent too many of my formative years watching 'The Rifleman' reruns to not do so. Not sure what took me nearly 50yrs to get around to buying my first lever gun. Had a Daisy BB gun with a lever in my yout.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
.45-70. I'm sure it will be interesting to shoot.

The best thing I’ve done for my .45-70 is to buy Remington 405 Grain Core Lokt. They have plenty of oomph, and felt recoil is less than that of the .357 levergun I shoot. I actually considered selling my .45-70 as it was unpleasant to shoot more than 2-3 rounds through it (I used to shoot 325 grain LeverEvolution), and this past week I put a dozen through it testing my Ranger Point Precision Cloverleaf peep. I could have kept going but the ammo is a bit pricey.

Never felt the need for a "truck gun". Or work gun. Or home gun. Or any other gun.

There is temptation to post this in response:

(But it might be construed as insensitive) :unsure:
0004D67B-6FD3-410B-9E1E-FC56788CC20F.jpeg

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
So if Scott Brady, who started this thread, just did weeks in baja according to his g-wagen article on the home page, what does everyone think his truck gun of choice would have been? I doubt he will be able to say anything given the strict laws that exist in the disarmed crime-free utopia of Mexico...but let's just pretend.
I have carried guns in Baja... Just need the right paperwork.
However, I could really care less. It is their country and their rules. The most stressful situation I have ever encountered in Baja was when the taco stand ran out of shrimp ;)
46C7558-608x405.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Well not quite a 'truck gun', but this gun will be in the truck the next time I head out to the high desert -

leverinspect04.jpg

New production Marlin 1894, 20" bbl, .44mag. 10+1.
I'd seen all the horror stories about 'Remlin' quality problems and even a few negative tales of recent years. But it passed my own inspection and function checks so I called it 'good'.

Already figuring to put a 'big loop' on it (~$75), spent too many of my formative years watching 'The Rifleman' reruns to not do so. Not sure what took me nearly 50yrs to get around to buying my first lever gun. Had a Daisy BB gun with a lever in my yout.

Nice purchase Rayra. For the most part, the issues are behind Marlin now. I looked at a 336 not long ago and it did NOT pass my QC check (the whole lever cycle felt life it was lubricated with broken glass), but my friend whose shop sells them by the dozen says that’s a very rare thing these days.

I’m a fan of the large loops myself. Unfortunately I haven’t found a good one for the straight stock on my 1895GS. Both my Henrys are bigloop carbines. My 1912 manufactured Model 94 was the first long gun I bought for myself at age 17. I’ve had it going on 35 years.

Lever guns are addictive. You can fire them very quickly without taking them off your shoulder. If you find the factory sights are less than stellar (I usually do), both Skinner and Ranger Point Precision make awesome peep sights for the 1894. I usually go receiver mounted to increase sight picture, but then all my leverguns are 16” barrelled carbines.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have carried guns in Baja... Just need the right paperwork.
However, I could really care less. It is their country and their rules. The most stressful situation I have ever encountered in Baja was when the taco stand ran out of shrimp ;)
46C7558-608x405.jpg

I’ve had a couple of semi-stressful situations in central Mexico, but nothing that I couldn’t diffuse with a few minutes of smooth talking. Nothing I would be carrying would have been any good in the “one guy sitting in his truck with trailer behind and his wife beside him VS a half dozen guys with AKs scenario”. Would I have felt more comfortable with a bit of firepower? Sure. Would it have caused more problems in that circumstance than it would have solved? Yup, sure could have.

Mexico has its share of problems, but if you are not involved in the drug trade or a LEO, your chances of getting into a jackpot are substantially higher driving through the inner city of 90% of US cities. Eyes open, ball peen hammer at the ready (with machete back up) is usually how I roll outside of North America.

rayra

Expedition Leader
@redthies I have indeed been looking at the Skinner sights and am quite taken with them. And they seem reasonably priced. And with my worsening astigmatism a peep sight is definitely desirable. And the increased sight radius, too. Even though a pistol-caliber carbine doesn't carry all that far.

mi0_864.jpg

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The Express is what I have on my .357. It’s just way easier to use accurately than the factory buckhorn. I paired my Express with one of Skinner’s Patridge fronts, and it’s a great combo.

I put a set of Skinner sights (rear peep and tall front blade) on my M1894 Marlin .44 Magnum last year.

Reasonable price, easy installation, and a good addition for time at the range! :cool:

I have indeed been looking at the Skinner sights and am quite taken with them. And they seem reasonably priced. And with my worsening astigmatism a peep sight is definitely desirable. And the increased sight radius, too. Even though a pistol-caliber carbine doesn't carry all that far.

mi0_864.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Glad you liked it! I fell down a rabbit hole of really great ones a few years back and had to save a few gems for just such emergencies!

zimm

Expedition Leader
So if Scott Brady, who started this thread, just did weeks in baja according to his g-wagen article on the home page, what does everyone think his truck gun of choice would have been? I doubt he will be able to say anything given the strict laws that exist in the disarmed crime-free utopia of Mexico...but let's just pretend.

Do you go to Baja?

Do you really think he needs to carry a gun everywhere?

Do really think he's dumb enough to carry illegally as a non citizen where there's Napoleonic Law?

SBSYNCRO

When camping/hunting in BLM or other "wilderness' type areas, here's my "truck" (Jeep) setup. 12 gauge and a 10/22 Takedown with the Magpul Hunter stock and Vortex Venom 3 moa red dot.

Swings up out of the way and from outside the vehicle is unnoticeable. Also does not obstruct line of sight from driver's seat out the rear. Passengers in the back seats have never noticed that there is a gun rack behind their heads.

JakeH

Adventurer
Do you go to Baja?

Do you really think he needs to carry a gun everywhere?

Do really think he's dumb enough to carry illegally as a non citizen where there's Napoleonic Law?
Dont answer questions with more questions. Scott already provided a well worded & succinct answer. Surprising as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles