New Defender Buyers Discussions

blackangie

Thread ONLY those that HAVE ordered or considering ordering the new defender.

Please when posting in this thread respect others decisions, be factual, fair and act in a kind manner.

Heres my build

All accessories will be ordered seperatly at dealer.

Explorer pack
Ladder upgrade
Bullbar kit (AU option)
Winch
Rinse system (shower)
Loadspace rubber mat
Compressor
Undershield
Deep rubber mats
Click and work/hook
Checker body protection
Rear scuff plate
Activity key (missing from factory configerator)
Rooftop tent (pending further details)
Rear recovery hooks (will order X hook part number and try & fit)

Stuff I will add later at this stage

Clear wrap
Sliders (prob lucky8)
33s or 34s duratracs
Maybe 18s if someone sorts that.

0dc5feb60cefb2b1fb378d889ea8d4a7.jpg
2008b08501694615e6f862ee55e02455.jpg
414af3d86b7c2a8e8b65561791bee65b.jpg
4010814bf60475679547d4c72c1b60d7.jpg
ceabeee94a0ed93f14eaf9142951fbd2.jpg
e193e51f11a90f037156c79251534451.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rlynch356

Defyota
Probably much like the 2016 Range Rover HSE in the US

Base price = $93000
KBB value today (36k miles, good condition, std options) = 33-48K (trade in and private party midline values)

So 3 years is 48-53% of MSRP depreciation.... ($45-50,000.00 .....Depreciation)

I don't see anything which would lead to a different depreciation curve for it.

This is just a new thread now that the other one is locked...

Like your order there BR.... I'm sure i can find one like that in 3-4 years, if i want.

Blaise

If you're reading this, let's try to keep this to the Topic discussion ONLY.

If you're going to ramble on and on about depreciation, reliability, or other 'lacking' features of a car that you literally have not even driven yet - please find another place to rant.

It's getting beyond frustrating for both readers and mods to keep locking threads bc of the ridiculous "Kia Soul" comments. Seriously. If you can't be an adult about it, find a place other than ExPo to do so.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Be aware that the "Electronic Active Differential with Torque Vectoring by Braking" option will reduce your rear brake life to 12,000 km's or 7500 miles. Plan on a $1000 brake job at those intervals.

From the LandRover forum where a person encountered early brake maintenance and received feedback from LR on a similar equiped vehicle:

".......Your vehicle is also equipped with torque vectoring brakes in the rear which causes the brakes to be applied when turning even if you are not pressing the brake pedal............"

DieselRanger

Be aware that the "Electronic Active Differential with Torque Vectoring by Braking" option will reduce your rear brake life to 12,000 km's or 7500 miles. Plan on a $1000 brake job at those intervals.

From the LandRover forum where a person encountered early brake maintenance and received feedback from LR on a similar equiped vehicle:

".......Your vehicle is also equipped with torque vectoring brakes in the rear which causes the brakes to be applied when turning even if you are not pressing the brake pedal............"
Not true, I've got 30,000 out of mine, down to 4mm on the rear so ready to replace. Rock Auto has a full 4 wheel package for under $600 - and that's for drilled/slotted rotors and heavy-duty pads and sensors.

soflorovers

I can speak to this. I had an L494 Supercharged V8 with the active rear differential. My rear pads and sensors wore out at around 18k miles or so. My front pads surprisingly still had a ton of life left on them. I'll be honest, I was surprised the front pads still had so much life left whereas the rears were the first to go. Also, lets not exaggerate here, the rear pads for my truck were like $160, a far cry from $1,000.

DieselRanger

If you're reading this, let's try to keep this to the Topic discussion ONLY.

If you're going to ramble on and on about depreciation, reliability, or other 'lacking' features of a car that you literally have not even driven yet - please find another place to rant.

It's getting beyond frustrating for both readers and mods to keep locking threads bc of the ridiculous "Kia Soul" comments. Seriously. If you can't be an adult about it, find a place other than ExPo to do so.
I created a "New Defender Rage/Hate Thread" that should satisfy certain forum members.

Blaise

This car isn't out yet. Literally nobody can quote this life reduction or replacement cost.

Please please please keep your comments to yourself unless they are FACTUAL.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
This car isn't out yet. Literally nobody can quote this life reduction or replacement cost.

The Defender may not be out but LR is using "Torque Vectoring by Braking" on other products. The customer feedback after the $1K rear brake quote from the dealer was - ".......Your vehicle is also equipped with torque vectoring brakes in the rear which causes the brakes to be applied when turning even if you are not pressing the brake pedal............" That is factual. Make a turn and your rear brakes will be applied even though you didn't brake.

My input to blackangie was based on his order. Wouldn't you like to know that your selected option will require a rear brake job at roughly 12,000 km intervals? (YMMV) Better to know now and change the order if so desired vs large unplanned maintenance cost. Most would expect rear brakes to last a very long time.

Last edited:

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I can speak to this. I had an L494 Supercharged V8 with the active rear differential. My rear pads and sensors wore out at around 18k miles or so. My front pads surprisingly still had a ton of life left on them. I'll be honest, I was surprised the front pads still had so much life left whereas the rears were the first to go. Also, lets not exaggerate here, the rear pads for my truck were like $160, a far cry from $1,000.

Yup. The YMMV for Torque Vectoring for Braking. Same with cost. I was referencing the dealer quote but you are right, it could be done for less but I would think the entire package of pads, rotors and sensors would need to be replaced since many are surprised at the short interval. For those reliant on dealer service that short interval becomes a large cost item over the life of the vehicle.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Not true, I've got 30,000 out of mine, down to 4mm on the rear so ready to replace. Rock Auto has a full 4 wheel package for under $600 - and that's for drilled/slotted rotors and heavy-duty pads and sensors.

Does the D5 have Torque Vectoring?

soflorovers

Yup. The YMMV for Torque Vectoring for Braking. Same with cost. I was referencing the dealer quote but you are right, it could be done for less but I would think the entire package of pads, rotors and sensors would need to be replaced since many are surprised at the short interval. For those reliant on dealer service that short interval becomes a large cost item over the life of the vehicle.
Fair point and my mistake. While I am comfortable changing pads, I must acknowledge that some people aren't comfortable enough, or simply don't want/care to work on their own vehicles. I can see this being around $1,000 USD at a dealer if you wanted to pay full price for pads, sensors and labor. So, if you're worried about costs and don't think you'll reap the full benefits, then maybe the rear locker should be avoided. FWIW, I drove my 2016 L494 HARD (I used to run 1/8 mile drags with it, I Auto-x it once, took it out to a local race track for some light laps during open lapping sessions and yes, took it off road!) and my rear pads lasted twice as long as what you're describing.

Fortunately, since this is an order/option discussion thread, I feel like it's OK to stray a bit here from the purely "Defender" nature of the conversation to discuss our experience with this option on similar LR platforms. All things considered, the rear torque vectoring diff on the Defender is an option that I would check if I were building one. 95% of the users on this forum would likely do the same, but I guess the beauty of a thread like this is that we can get opinions and weigh the pros and cons

soflorovers

I side with 99% of your posts on here @Blaise, but I believe mpinco's comment was made with good intentions. Will the new Defender's torque vectoring system work in the same manner as the L494 SC's? Until someone actually buys one, we'll never know. The point of this thread is to provide guidance/discuss the order sheet, and if this is a concern that has been expressed on similar LRs of recent origin then I think it's fair game to discuss. I personally was pissed off when I had to put rear pads on my RRS, mainly because it caught me totally by surprise! Usually you'd expect the front pads to wear first. As I wrote above to mpinco, the beauty of a thread like this is that we can get opinions and weigh the pros and cons of certain options. My 2 cents, feel free to chime in.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I would hope people can discuss the upsides AND the downsides of options, especially when someone post the link to the build and ask for feedback. We cry like babies when the LR4 needs new timing chain guides at $4500 and then blindly select an option that will add roughly $10K of maintenance cost over 100K miles? Now that is insanity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94