If you had to pick one: Skid plates or rock sliders?

Clawhammer

Adventurer
I'm in the process of planning a build on a 2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road. I'm planning on installing an OME 2" lift (885 coils and Dakars), but am only planning on running 265/75/r16 tires. I'd like to have a little more ground clearance, but in the interest of gearing and fuel mileage, probably won't go taller than that.

So, I'm thinking some sort of armor is in order, just for some insurance and peace of mind. I'm trying not to add a lot of weight, so am leaning towards doing either skid plates or sliders, but not both. Sway me one way or the other. If you had to pick just one, which would it be and why?

I'm leaning towards sliders since they can be used to jack up the vehicle, offer some "everyday" protection from door dings, and since the truck has the factory skids (as chintzy as they may be, they have to be better than nothing, right?). Am I wrong? What am I not considering?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I have sliders and an IFS skid plate that replaces the two factory TRD stamped ones in front and under the engine. I have not installed anything under the transmission or transfer case (yes, my cross over pipe is partially smashed).

The sliders have a few dings and scrapes, a couple I know would have resulted in a dent on the body. Cosmetically that's bad but I don't think any of them would have been catastrophic. The greatest risk there is knowingly driving harder trails. I like having sliders with the wheel base and to have something to stand on but I think I could get by without them acknowledging that dents could happen choosing harder routes.

OTOH I've hit the skid plate enough to misshape the thing. The front end of the Tacos exposes the diff pretty badly and there's not much space between it and the engine oil pan. I think from a purely what-if I'd sooner give up the sliders than the skid plate personally.

I'm not a hard core 'crawler with my Tacoma and have enough experience not to be a complete goober on technical trails. I never found I really needed a beefier plate on my 1991 until I started really doing hard core trails (e.g. Rubicon type stuff). I actually ran the stock skid on that most of its life. Having sliders on that truck I found to be more necessary than a skid plate. The front end is exposed enough more that if there's rocks there's the chance. It's not so much the front sloping part but the section right under the diff that I think is vulnerable. On my '91 there was more room under there. Plus I had an extra IFS brace that helped strengthen and protect stuff.

If money was no object and I was starting brand new (I got my 3/16" steel skid plate second hand and saved some money) I'd consider a 1/4" aluminum IFS skid and no sliders to save weight and still have the peace of mind.

Last edited:

knoxswift

My 2C.
Skids first. I've beaten mine up quite a bit. I for sure would have damaged the exhaust that goes down low in front of the transmission if I didn't have a skid that protects that under turn. I have also landed the front hard a few times which I'm sure would of done a number on the oil pan without my extended skid plate.
I sometimes can use a jack on the skid's I've installed.
I run a 2.5" lift. I off road in a very rocky area.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I would start with skid plates since the body already sits higher than the belly/undercarriage and is more vulnerable. As for tires I would opt for some 255/85r16's, this way you gain clearance/height but not much added weight/rotational mass and can get by with stock gears.

crazysccrmd

Observer
Just my $0.02 but based on what I've found I wouldn't trust the factory skid plates if you find you need low range often. Like I say, it's not the front one with the two braces behind it but the one under the diff that I think is the concern.

Yeah but if all you’re doing with the truck is driving forest service roads then neither of the proposed mods is necessary.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yeah but if all you’re doing with the truck is driving forest service roads then neither of the proposed mods is necessary.
That's of course the subject nature I suppose since Forest Service "roads" vary from not needing anything more than passenger car on M+S tires to a buggy on 37" tires. Having the stock splash plates might even be worse in that they give a false sense of security that they'd protect anything.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
That's of course the subject nature I suppose since Forest Service "roads" vary from not needing anything more than passenger car on M+S tires to a buggy on 37" tires. Having the stock splash plates might even be worse in that they give a false sense of security that they'd protect anything.

For sure! The toughest thing I can see myself on (at least purposely on) is something like Black Bear Pass. That said, been on enough roads that got way rougher than I expected, which is where a little armor would be appreciated.

I'm a little surprised to see so many folks worrying about the oil pan. I've always learned to put the big rocks under the tires to protect that area, and sure, might have torn up a mud flap or fender flair, but that's about the worst of it. Of course, the (stock) skid plate on my old first gen Taco looks a little rough, so there's that. (I treated that one like it was disposable - use it until it breaks, then get a better one. It never did break, ha).

rayra

Expedition Leader
Skidplates to protect the drivetrain. Sliders infer deliberately grinding over or against boulders, which I try to avoid. I'm usually a solo vehicle, so not taking the deliberate risks of breaking my vehicle or getting stuck.

shade

since the truck has the factory skids (as chintzy as they may be, they have to be better than nothing, right?)
The 2nd gen OE "skid plates" should be considered as splash guards. They may offer some protection against thrown gravel, but that's about it. As @crazysccrmd has said, that may be all you need, though.

If you're concerned about damage and want to save money, adding an aftermarket IFS skid plate is a good place to start. Pick a vendor that makes a full set so that you can add to the IFS skid if you ever decide your truck needs more protection. 1/4" aluminum offers a good balance of protection and weight savings, but will cost more than steel. I've had a full set of 1/4" aluminum BudBuilt skids on my 2012 Tacoma since new, and they've taken many solid hits over the years. I don't rock crawl, and I don't intentionally take lines that require dragging the entire weight of the truck on the skids. If that's your thing, buy steel. If you decide to add a full set of skid plates and have a V6, consider having the crossover exhaust pipe rerouted to gain a little more clearance - and order the skid plate to match.

If you plan to go places that'll spank the skids, sliders would be a good addition, too. I added mine when my truck was new, and decided on a bolt-on design that required no drilling so I wouldn't get caught out if my truck's frame was ever subject to a recall. Weld-on sliders are fine, too. The manufacturer of mine is long out of business, but there are other vendors with similar products.

shade

I'll add that armor can be useful even when taking a low risk line through an obstacle. Things shift, and your truck can slide against a rock, or a surface that appears solid may flip up a rock while you're driving over it, right into the undercarriage. I often travel solo, so the added protection also makes going alone a little safer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94