JEEP Setup picture thread

Stroked 550

Adventurer
hey guys

I know there is a thread for jeep pics but Im more specially looking to see how you setup your jeeps inside and out for overland duty.. If you could please share pics and the details of your setup I would greatly appreciate it

Subject rig is a 2006 LJ Unlimited

I will be doing overland trips with my GF and pup so space is gonna be limited I wanna learn from different setups to take notes from each setup to see how I can best setup the rig for my adventures.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I had a 2006 LJ Rubicon. I set mine up for camping with family, as well as hitting some of the harder rock strewn trails available, such as Rubicon, Dusy, Dishpan, etc... Not exactly an overloading rig, but capable for sure.

The basic Jeep was a 2006 LJ Rubicon, with a 4" spring lift using AEV progressive rate springs, an Nth Degree tummy tuck, 1" body lift pucks, Hanson bumpers front and rear, running 35" BFG KM2's. I then added a large rear tire carrier & rack from Hanson, on board air via Viair 450H and a 2 gallon tank. I had all kinds of skid plates from Nth Degree and Currie due to rock crawling. I also had the Nth Degree spring relocation brackets from the rear spring perches to correct the lifted geometry. I had a pneumatic disconnectable front sway bar, and removed the rear sway bar altogether. I can't remember the vendor for that. It was the same vendor that provided an upgraded heavy duty steering rod set up. The rear rack also carried and axe and a hi-lift.

I had a Baja 540c GPS mounted near the rear view mirror that worked awesome, and a custom built 2 piece load platform in the rear. I had well over 6' of lay down space with the rear seat out of the Jeep, and about 14" or so of load and lash space behind the seat when it was installed. Overall, it would fit a family of 4 and a dog for week long trips, but man was it packed to the gills to do it. However, a trip for 2 to the Rubicon for a few days with food, clothes, tools and parts, was no problem and stored very handily. Also, I ran power to the rear for an ARB 50 qt fridge. And I had Camelbacks strapped behind the front seats to provide drinking water on demand. Everything worked quite well.

Load platform pics are here: Jeep LJ Load Platform
IMG_1853-X2.jpg

platform-20-X2.jpg

Baja540c GPS mount:
IMG_2433a-X3.jpg

Rear Tire Carrier and Rack:
IMG_2427-X3.jpg

Rubicon-Prep-03-1024.jpg

I also had a little 4x6 trailer that was scratch built and allowed us to take 10 day excursions to Utah, Eastern Sierras, etc.. That was handy:
IMG_0203-X3.jpg

But without the trailer, I still was able to carry quite a lot of (ie: way, way too much) stuff:
Calico-800-10.jpg

ExPo-Mojave-2009-02-X3.jpg

It helped that my kids were small at the time:
ExPo-Mojave-2009-03-X3.jpg

Stroked 550

Adventurer
@nwoods thank you for posting all the pics and details that was incredibly helpful
thats a great idea to strap the camelbaks behind the seats so you had water on demand

Did you fabricate the cargo tray? If not where did you buy it from?

you're trailer is awesome that is impressive you took it through that kinda terrain

nwoods

Expedition Leader
@nwoods
Did you fabricate the cargo tray? If not where did you buy it from?

I built it from generic hardware parts and thin but strong aircraft grade birch veneered plywood ordered through Granhals lumber. The text before the first picture is a link to a larger gallery about the platform. I am +300 lbs and could kneel on it without deflection. I reused the existing seatbelt anchor points to bolt down the decking. No drilling required. Also, the Tuffy made tie down bar in the rear was absolutely amazing in performance, simplicity, and flexibility. Highly recommended.

TripLeader

Explorer
2005 LJ

I have a plywood platform that I use. It works well by having just the right amount of space for my air compressor, cooler, and Action Packer in the bottom. I can then pack things on the platform. It's awfully handy to be able to put the big heavy things on the bottom, and then be able to retrieve them without unpacking and repacking everything. My Raingler cargo net is behind the front seats, and helps keep everything in place.
P1160098.jpg

I'm also fortunate enough to have a small enclosed trailer.
20190718_205317.jpg

BP1290418.jpg

I've got a Trasharoo knockoff bag on the spare tire. It's great for carrying trash, and other dirty odds-and-ends.
P1150183.jpg

Stroked 550

Adventurer
I built it from generic hardware parts and thin but strong aircraft grade birch veneered plywood ordered through Granhals lumber. The text before the first picture is a link to a larger gallery about the platform. I am +300 lbs and could kneel on it without deflection. I reused the existing seatbelt anchor points to bolt down the decking. No drilling required. Also, the Tuffy made tie down bar in the rear was absolutely amazing in performance, simplicity, and flexibility. Highly recommended.

You did a great job with that build, I missed the text link above that picture I just looked at in detail

at 1st I thought it was a sliding platform but after looking at the pics I realized I was fooled lol. do you have the specs on the brackets and hardware you used?
also that tiedown system is a great idea I wanna incorporate that as well

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
Nice set up Trip!

Aw, shucks... I bet you say that to all the LJs. :giggle:

@TripLeader You have a very nice setup as well thanks for sharing

Would there be room to have a raised platform and still fit those totes in there?

If you're asking if you could put a shelf above a platform with tie-down points...

Yes. I think that would be handy to essentially have two shelves in the back. And then you could tie down heavier stuff on the bottom.

My platform is just a plywood shelf I built. I probably have $30 invested in it. But it works wonders for keeping things organized. You could build one to fit your needs and whatever bins, totes, etc. you use. I have an Igloo cooler and Rubbermaid Action Packers. I use my platform/shelf in place of the rear seat. You could make one to go behind the rear seat.

I took a lot of inspiration and ideas from Haggis' thread:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Stroked, from memory, the hardware we’re simple 90 degree angles from Simpson, obtained through Home Deephole. I think I used 3/8” dia. X 3/4” hex bolts at the clips and 1-1/4” through the plywood. I had a buddy tackweld the nuts on so that the I only needed one wrench to install them. I am pretty sure I just re-used the seatbelt bolts to anchor the clips to the floor

bluejeep

just a guy

Attachments

• IMG_20191017_0933206.jpg
    IMG_20191017_0933206.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20191017_0933595.jpg
    IMG_20191017_0933595.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20191017_0934045.jpg
    IMG_20191017_0934045.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 78