Australian and British bloggers arrested in Iran

GHI

Adventurer
Ah Bobby! He was just a professional, doing his job.
Ah yes, supposedly. I was perusing the news and came across this article. Paragraph 2 points out ABC news aired supposedly shocking video footage of a front line battle between the Kurds and Turks. The problem being the footage is actually from a night time machine gun demonstration in Kentucky. ABC is unsure how that happened. Hmmm, maybe an old Brian Williams NBC intern got a job at ABC doing video editing.

shade

Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper.

I will add, that the man who never looks into a newspaper is better informed than he who reads them.
Thomas Jefferson, 1807​
To be fair, Jefferson ate slaves, so he can't be trusted. [source]

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Well people sometimes lie. So I have decided the best way to stay informed is to not listen to anyone who says things I don't like or immediately agree with. Thus its best to simply not talk to anyone who has ever admitted to being wrong or mistaken. Instead I only listen to, and read things from folks who never admit mistakes, cause they are the most trustworthy.

Same goes for scientists, they once thought the universe was 8 billion years old, now they thinks its 15 billion! With such a big mistake who would ever listen to them again? /sarcasm

Don't exchange a critical eye and analytical skills with a distrust for all authoritative sources. With a modest level of critical thinking its possible to split the BS from the truth in most cases.

With regards to the subject of this thread. We will likely never know the whole story. But I put my money on the Iranian government seeing an opportunity to gain by leveraging foreigners. They have little to lose on the international scene by doing so, and their authoritarian regime has little respect for human rights on any level, much less for foreigners.

jhmoore

With regards to the subject of this thread. We will likely never know the whole story. But I put my money on the Iranian government seeing an opportunity to gain by leveraging foreigners. They have little to lose on the international scene by doing so, and their authoritarian regime has little respect for human rights on any level, much less for foreigners.

I think/hope that we will hear the story. They have already stated that nothing that was in the news was correct. Hopefully they will share details publicly.

billum v2.0

They're out, that's what matters to my view.

I'll put as much stock in their version of the story as the official version of the Iranian government. Based on the stories the majority of folks concoct getting stopped driving 35 in a 25 MPH zone, can't imagine anyone admitting they did something wrong that landed them in a notorious Iranian prison which then became international news and required multi-national governmental intervention to settle.

Based on their pre-incarceration public profiles, little doubt their side of the story will be presented via talk-show circuit/book/movie-of-the-week sooner rather than later.

shade

So that means there is NO truth to the article?? Do you really believe this type of police action doesn't happen every day in every country in the world?:rolleyes:
No, it means what I said. The paper has its biases, which it freely admits, and I believe it's important to consider a source's biases when evaluating the content. I'd also be suspicious of an article on the topic from this source. Is that a difficult concept for you to grasp?

IMO, equating whatever is going on in Chicago with overseas CIA black sites is more than a stretch. That was presented as a hard news article, not an editorial. I'd prefer they stuck with a fact based presentation than drawing tenuous parallels. If people are being abused in Chicago, stick with those abuses and don't attempt to jazz it up with the CIA angle. I don't think that's asking too much.

Huezee

I sincerely hope that Jolie and Mark are able to continue their travels. I've really enjoyed following along with them on YouTube.

Travel can certainly heal as much as it can hurt. It would be understandable if they chose not to publicly document their trip any further.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles