Winter driving with 4x4 lift and knobby tires.

ram2500_24v

BFG K0's are a winter/snow rated all terrain tire. I would say that they are a very good alternative for people who do not want to buy a dedicated winter tire set.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Simple physics. Wide tires are designed for flotation and so they float.

If you use your van a lot in the winter get a second set of wheels and mount some LT255/85R16 tires on it. Tall and skinny - great in slush and snow but not worth a darn in soft sand!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
BFG K0's are a winter/snow rated all terrain tire. I would say that they are a very good alternative for people who do not want to buy a dedicated winter tire set.
I run BFG KO2 in 235/85R16 (not on a van though). These have the snowflake winter rating and so meet the Colorado traction law for winter tires. They're OK but not really a substitute for a true winter tire.

Our plain old front wheel drive daily driver with Blizzaks will drive circles around my 4WD truck on KO2s as long as the snow isn't deep and unconsolidated. For that the AT and even an MT is better since it's more similar to mud or sand.

But for roads, especially plowed roads, dedicated winter tires are undoubtedly better if you have the budget to have two sets. If you try to run winter tires year-round they'll be worn out in just one summer. That's why I run the KO2, just one set of tires that can sucks uniformly in all terrain, all seasons.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I run BFG KO2 in 235/85R16 (not on a van though). These have the snowflake winter rating and so meet the Colorado traction law for winter tires. They're OK but not really a substitute for a true winter tire.

Our plain old front wheel drive daily driver with Blizzaks will drive circles around my 4WD truck on KO2s as long as the snow isn't deep and unconsolidated. For that the AT and even an MT is better since it's more similar to mud or sand.
I find the same with my Duratracs which have the snowflake rating.

jadmt

ignore button user
kind of depends on how deep of snow you are talking about as to whether or not you want skinny tires or fat tires. I agree on highway skinny is better off trail in 5 feet of snow fatter is better.

Hotrdd

K so this is what is currently on the van. Mastercraft Courser MXT tires LT305/70R18

I bought a 4x4 van so I could run it all winter long where ever I want but the majority of my travel would be HWY use.

Hotrdd

Sounds like I need to find two sets of tires :-( These tires are loud in the summer on the HWY and horrible in the winter, so maybe I just need a winter set and a summer set or a good all season. I've had Wrangler Silent armor on my SUV before and they were a pretty good all season?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
K so this is what is currently on the van. Mastercraft Courser MXT tires LT305/70R18

I bought a 4x4 van so I could run it all winter long where ever I want but the majority of my travel would be HWY use.
Huh. Looks to be severe weather rated and studdable. But, does not seem to have much siping. To be honest, they don't look like a bad tire for what you chose them for.

But, maybe a more snow / winter tire would serve you better?

DaveInDenver

Huh. Looks to be severe weather rated and studdable. But, does not seem to have much siping. To be honest, they don't look like a bad tire for what you chose them for.

But, maybe a more snow / winter tire would serve you better?

They're M+S so multi season but not really winter rated. These I wouldn't assume would be suitable for winter travel regularly. I find the M+S in an AT or MT truck tires to mean in the rain they will be slightly better if you're running slicks. Those Coursers remind me of the old BFG MT tread, which were terrible on wet and snow. Which is why we siped them aftermarket and then they were only butt clinching when you were on packed snow and ice.

If it was me and the use really is mostly highway I'd just buck up and admit you need good street tires. Then carry tire cables or chains for really bad conditions or off pavement even though I know putting them on these days is considered uncool.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
They're M+S so multi season but not really winter rated. These I wouldn't assume would be suitable for winter travel regularly. I find the M+S in an AT or MT truck tires to mean in the rain they will be slightly better if you're running slicks. If it was me and the use really is mostly highway I'd just buck up and admit you need good street tires and carry tire cables or chains even though know putting them on these days is considered uncool.
I read in the link provided that they were severe weather rated. I thought that meant they carried the 3 peak rating which is different than M+S rated. (My Duratracs have the 3 peak designation and are severe weather rated.) Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

DaveInDenver

I read in the link provided that they were severe weather rated. I thought that meant they carried the 3 peak rating which is different than M+S rated. (My Duratracs have the 3 peak designation and are severe weather rated.) Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
An M+S is an old designation that gives you some measure that the tire pattern is OK for year round use. I think it has to do with being able to clear mud and snow better so is less likely to hydroplane. The 3-peak snow flake is a winter-specific rating that takes into account the rubber compound, which is a major part to why a true winter tire works better. The rubber stays pliable in colder temperatures and is a compound that provides grip beyond just the tread pattern. A tire I suppose could be 3-peak but not M+S but I have to think that would be difficult. But a M+S tires isn't automatically going to get a 3-peak. I don't think all sizes and models of BFG KO2s have 3-peak snow flakes, for example, but I'm fairly certainly they'll all be M+S. I'm not sure how the term "severe" is used. I understand the 3-peak snow flake to imply that with respect to winter travel, so the "severe" is a marketing term?

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'm not sure how the term "severe" is used. I understand the 3-peak snow flake to imply that with respect to winter travel, so the "severe" is a marketing term?
Maybe? I thought the 3 peak was to designate the tire is rated for severe service or whatever the term is.

Capture.PNG

So for them to say the tire is Severe service rated in the link the OP posted, I would think the tire should be good in the snow?

I guess if they aren't handling up to par, maybe another tire is the answer. My only point was having seen that rating, I would have thought those tires would be sufficient for the intended purpose as well. Sucks they aren't working out.

I think it's ludicrous that a severe snow rated tire would not be tested for braking and turning on snow along with ice traction.

Isn't that what winter driving is???

DaveInDenver

I think in this case severe may be more marketing like "heavy duty" or something like that. It might just mean for real winter you'd exercise the studdable part and that would make them just about unstoppable. The deep lugs would be great in new and deep snow and the studs would be good on ice or packed snow. Studded tires are less than ideal on dry pavement, though would meet what I call "severe", that being like putting them on a plow truck. I doubt anyone commuting would meet a severe winter use but that's just my interpretation.

Simons

Adventurer
305’s are just too wide for slush, snow and ice. I wouldn’t recommend running anything wider than a 265.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Wide tires suck for winter driving. My first truck ever was a ZR2 with BFG AT's in 31x10.5 it was embarrassingly bad. My Dodge Neon with bald tires was way better in the snow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94