Overlandtowater’s solid axle suburban

Overlandtowater

Failed inspection had to replace the idler arm...I'm not convinced it was bad but what can I do.... one question I have is the truck has always made a grunting sound when turning left appears to be from the steering box itself any one have an idea?

You can hear it at the 12 to 15 second mark on the video

Overlandtowater

started a little project tonight.....bought the muffler second hand the guy didn't like the way it sounded on his 4.3 ad cut if off within hours of having it installed I picked it up for 40 bucks. Got the muffler welded on just need to finish it out from under the truck. I'm going to have to go to a muffler shop to get the bends the local parts store only had 18" strait pieces. Oh and by the way the harbor freight exhaust spreader??? works great! I have no idea what the muffler is but appears to be a flowmaster knock off. It sounds pretty good little loud with it under the truck but when I get it plumbed out it will be just right I hope.... How to do you like how I make the pipe then remove it to weld? I have done this multiple times and works great every time.

Attachments

• DSCF9207.JPG
    DSCF9207.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCF9209.JPG
    DSCF9209.JPG
  • DSCF9211.JPG
    DSCF9211.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • DSCF9212.JPG
    DSCF9212.JPG

Overlandtowater

Check out the little spring loaded contraption that was in the pipe that came off the 2014 GMC with a 4.3....any guesses I assume it keeps back pressure on the exhaust

Attachments

• DSCF9218.JPG
    DSCF9218.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCF9213.JPG
    DSCF9213.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • DSCF9216.JPG
    DSCF9216.JPG
  • DSCF9215.JPG
    DSCF9215.JPG

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Check out the little spring loaded contraption that was in the pipe that came off the 2014 GMC with a 4.3....any guesses I assume it keeps back pressure on the exhaust
That does create back pressure but only to reach operating temp quicker, once warm that flapper should be opened but like everything else they fail eventually and start randomly closing and creating driveability problems, best to eliminate at the first opportunity!

Overlandtowater

That does create back pressure but only to reach operating temp quicker, once warm that flapper should be opened but like everything else they fail eventually and start randomly closing and creating driveability problems, best to eliminate at the first opportunity!
so they work like a thermostat when the temp is at operating temp they swing open.....I see I didn't even thing about them being temp operated.

Lykos

Super Trucker
I ordered all the A/C stuff, 2 blend door actuators, blower motor control module, condenser. Also ordered a heavy duty headlight harness from LMC and 100w Hella high beam bulbs, and a pair of turn signal sockets to put in the DRL spot. Also ordered rear main seal.

Any one have the 100w high beams in their truck? will they get too hot and burn the lenses?
Which actutators did you but and how much were they? I need to replace mine and nonone can tell nevif I need the cheaper or more expensive one.

leftfootmoe

Rayra yes 265s factory so the 255 are same height as as 285 just narrower.

Mr.Ed lets see some pics....I assume they look a little funny, but from what ever heard in the local overland community is the 255s on the cruisers work better than the 285s on the Ozark trails and gravel bars around here.

255/265/285 are all tire width measurements, not height. A 255/85/16 is not the same height as a 285/85/16.

1569512835780.png

Overlandtowater

Which actutators did you but and how much were they? I need to replace mine and nonone can tell nevif I need the cheaper or more expensive one.

I bought the SKP brand on rockauto SK604106 worked for the blend door on my 03 with automatic digital dials. but I don't remember how much they where....I still haven't put them in.

Overlandtowater

255/265/285 are all tire width measurements, not height. A 255/85/16 is not the same height as a 285/85/16.

View attachment 541262
but I assume we are talking the more common size 285/75/16s not 285/85/16...….. they are 0.3s smaller than the 255/85/16s , and yes the 265 or 285 or 315 is the width but the bigger the width the bigger the tire size if all other numbers stay the same like the picture you posted. It shows that even though the second and third numbers are the same you increased tire size just by increasing the width...……..the second number is a percentage of the width so the 285/75 is each side wall is 75% the tire width, x2 to show side wall above and below the wheel then you add the wheel size to make the total tire size....

Last edited:

Overlandtowater

I got the exhaust welded back up but not with out some broken tools.....I will post some pics later but I am no longer impressed with the HF exhaust expander...lets just say at least the rubber bands didn't break...

Overlandtowater

I take back what I said about the HF tubing expander...….. the first pipe I expanded was some from the local auto parts store it worked but took some grunt with my 12 crescent...the second tube I tried to expand was the OE off the suburban I didn't get it to expand at all...I greased all the spots where metal rubbed on metal thinking it would help.... it appears one of the barrel pieces cracked and the wedge couldn't work past it and put it in a bind and blew the wedge apart...….bummer

Attachments

• DSCF9247.JPG
    DSCF9247.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • DSCF9246.JPG
    DSCF9246.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • DSCF9240.JPG
    DSCF9240.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • DSCF9243.JPG
    DSCF9243.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Overlandtowater

the exhaust is back together I ran out of .30 flux core wire and only had .35 my 110 HF welder doesn't have enough juice to really sink in the .35 wire like the .30 but I used it anyways...it glues thin metal together.LOL And yes I sprayed self etching primer on the welds...

What for you say?

beats me...other than the cool smell it puts off.

Attachments

• DSCF9237.JPG
    DSCF9237.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • DSCF9236.JPG
    DSCF9236.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCF9235.JPG
    DSCF9235.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21

Forum statistics

Threads