? - Finding a Solar Panel by Dimensions

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I was looking at the SR+:

"The new Solbian SR+ panel by Merlin Solar is the first marine solar panel to use Panasonic’s Heterojunction with Intrinsic Thin-layer (HIT) cells, now the most efficient solar cells on the market. "
Two things. That is an old article from Solar planet. The SR series was superceded by the SP series years ago (five years at least).
And the ruggedising of the SR so they could be walked on meant that the efficiency of the cells were further compromised.

You will likely not walk on the roof tent shell, so there's no reason to compromise and get some that is compromised because they're designed to be walked on.

shade

if he attached em to the lid the'd never get near their rated output due to all the heat trapping.. they definitely are not HIT cells either, HIT Temp Coefficient -0.258%/°C, Solbian is -0.38%

Nope, they need an air gap. I know 4" is usually recommended, but I'd prefer less. I'll have to experiment to see how low I can go without too much heat. The white roof will help, but I also need to see how much heat it can take.

Two things. That is an old article from Solar planet. The SR series was superceded by the SP series years ago (five years at least).
And the ruggedising of the SR so they could be walked on meant that the efficiency of the cells were further compromised.

You will likely not walk on the roof tent shell, so there's no reason to compromise and get some that is compromised because they're designed to be walked on.

Nope, no walking on the composite sheeting of the roof panel.

dreadlocks

with the HIT's 4in would be a bit excessive.. as long as you have some way for air to get out from under it and dont mount it flat to the roof it'll be fine.. the low temp coefficient of the HITs should cope with the rest..

Without gap, a flexible panel will transfer heat right into your camper.. with a gap, a rigid panel will actually provide your camper w/fixed shade.. the air-gap wont transfer very much heat, especially if there is a slight breeze.

shade

Unless I stumble on a 50" 20% panel, the 325W Panasonic HIT (40" wide) will probably be the one I use, with 6" of open space on the sides. I don't like wasting the space, but that's the way it goes.

I have a new 100W Renogy that I can carry inside the bed canopy for remote deployment. That and alternator charging should provide more than enough power.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
it would have to be wider in another dimension.. so your looking for basically a square 300w panel? cant say I seen many of those.. I think there's some 150W panels about 40in square, but then two of those would be 80in long instead of 60 like the HIT..
I just bought some 150's that are about 52X27

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have found the residential panels the best size to price to power ratio at 65x39

I was going to use this panel as I have something like it on my Taco / Treehouse and it works great for under $200

But instead I am going with this 360w LG for max efficiency for a bit more money

I know I have said it before but a phone call to a quality vendor makes it go much easier.

shade

This thread was more of a last effort to see if there was some oddball panel I'd missed than anything else. I really like how Northern Arizona W&S allows sorting by wattage and price/watt.

Those LG panels are nice, but I don't think the price premium over a Panasonic or slightly smaller LG in the same class is worth it to me for another 35W.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I hear ya.....the REC "twin" would be my choice if Victron wasn't giving me a deal on their bits (full disclosure) so I am willing to spend a more on the panel (paying retail).

Wyuna

Observer
Flexible panels are garbage..

I have to disagree, you get what you pay for.

Most of the issues people have had is from cheap flexible panels off eBay.

Solbain Panels are good, but pricey, there is also eArche that make commercial semi flex panels for the building industry, still not cheap compared to decent solid panels

I do agree that direct sticking them without an air gap will reduce performance, I personally mounted my semi flex panel on a lightweight Aluminum frame to allow an air gap

In a few more years I think we will see more reliable cheaper semi flex panels on the market.

dreadlocks

I have to disagree with you too.. sometimes there's a sucker born every min.. and it takes a giant sucker to spent $2k on a 150W solar panel that only has a 5 year warranty.. which indicates, they are garbage.. expensive ************** garbage.. but still garbage.. Sometimes all your paying for is +$50 for a stupid yeti sticker on a plastic bucket.. Overlanding gear is the epitome of you dont always get what you pay for.. market is full of useless expensive garbage.

25 year warranty on a rigid panel, that outputs more solar in less space, and for a fraction of the cost... I'll repeat, Flexible panels are garbage.. EVERY LAST ONE OF EM.,. you paid more money for flexible, with less warranty and output.. to.. mount.. it.. too.. a.. rigid... frame.. sigh.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I had to claim a warranty on 640 watts of rigid solar panels after 2 years (manufacturing defect). After providing evidence the OEM drop shipped me 4 new panels at no cost. No pro-rating, no repair or third party verification. I suspect they would do the same in 5 or 10 years (if the company still existed at least).

The only reason to pay that much for panels is if everything else on the market doesn't work. If your life depends on the gear, or if the weight savings etc is a big deal.

I don't doubt those flex panels cost a lot to make (probably about 50-65% of the purchase price). But thats low volume with custom made cells.

Wyuna

Observer
Battleborn, we just have to agree to disagree, I’ve had issues with 2 solid panels, warranty is hit and miss, it just depends on the manufacturer.

The semi flex panel allowed a low profile fitting on my rig, and even with a small mount it was half the weight.

They have there place in the market, just like lithium batteries, both are on the higher end of the price range

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles