Gas can kill.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
End to end, without side trips it's only 138. Some sections can only be done at 15mph or less. Along most of it, if you get down to 1/4 tank, that won't get you to a station to fill up. If you get out at Afton, it's still 40 miles to gas in Yermo.
It's 138 miles.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Yes, but two questions:

1. Are you guaranteed that next gas station you are heading to has gas? Or their tank isn't low so they're limiting folks to 10 gallons?

2. Are you guaranteed that next gas station is open? Not all places are open 24/7, and depending on what time you're driving through, they might not be open then you might be stuck there for a while.

With my Jeep and trailer combo, I should be able to go about 240+ miles just on the Jeep's tank. Add the up-to 14 extra gallons I can carry (9 on the trailer, and 5 in the Jerry can on the back of the Jeep) that gives me about an extra 210 gallons (so 450+ mile range). I really don't like that feeling of wondering if I'm going to run out of gas before I can get refilled. On my last adventure up in NW Canada, the Jeep started running like crap in the middle of nowhere, throwing codes (glad I carry a code reader and tools), and sucking down gas like crazy. MPG went into the toilet.

(FYI - Codes were saying I was running lean - got to next town and spent just over $400 Canadian at a NAPA on two O2 sensors, MAP sensor, air filter, throttle body spray, and two bottles of Sea Foam for the next few fill-ups... seems to have fixed it).

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Please plot the easily accessible gas stations along the Mojave Road.
Another is getting out and back from the Dollhouse in the Maze District of Canyonlands. On the trip this past April I logged 206 miles between gas stations and it took me 23.4 gallons of gasoline, which for me is one full tank (21 gallons) and part of my spare can. The roads within the National Park are mostly done in low range and getting 8 MPG for me is actually good mileage.

This trip we skipped optional roads intentionally but even with that normally I'd use closer to 27 or so gallons because the southern most stop (Hite Marina) has been closed recently due to Lake Powell no longer reaching it and the back track to Green River, UT, adds 107 miles from this exit point. A 20L can or two is good insurance any extended time you leave pavement in western CO, WY, NV or around the Four Corners. All it would take is a closed gas station when you expected there to be one to really be screwed.

BaseCamp.png

Dirt Rider

Funny how these threads take on a life of their own and go in all kinds of directions not associated with the original subject matter...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
End to end, without side trips it's only 138. Some sections can only be done at 15mph or less. Along most of it, if you get down to 1/4 tank, that won't get you to a station to fill up. If you get out at Afton, it's still 40 miles to gas in Yermo.

If you head East, there is gas at Rasor road, 12 miles from the Afton exit on I-15. ;)

Having said that, I agree with you that even though Mojave Road is "only" 138 miles, with side trips, idling engines at stops, and so on, it's always better to have more fuel than less.

In harsh and unforgiving country like that, all it takes is one gas station that is closed that you expected to be open and you can go from a pleasant trip to a life-or-death survival situation. Especially if it's mid-Winter or mid-Summer.

EDITED TO ADD: Of course the electric car boosters would say you are just suffering from "Range Anxiety." :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yeah, well, but...I gotta just say DiD, off thread.....nice looking Taco set up with the Nest!

But Holy Crud!, “ in low range...getting 8 MPG for me is actually good mileage,”
Really!? Wow ?
I’m now thoroughly disabused of any notion that a smaller truck with a 6 gets lots better gas mileage than a bigger rig!
I usually get around 17 MPG in typical mixed pavement and dirt roads. But in low range it drops fast. Wasn't any different in my old truck, a 1991 with a 4 cylinder 22R-E and WilderNest (actually for a number of years this same 'Nest). It would get 18 or 19 MPG normally but take a dive in low range. I think it's just the nature of the beast with gasoline engines alternating idling to high revs all day. The day when Toyota might listen to the small niche and give us a diesel for this is, I'm afraid, now passed.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
You forgot....boiled peanuts..just to stay on topic..

I never can remember....are you supposed to eat them with, or without the shells?

(The last time I had some of these (out of a can, no less) I ate ‘em with the shells. I’m thinking that was a mistake.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles