Pequod - A 2019 Ram Power Wagon Build

nater

Adventurer
Have you considered a Wilco Tiregate? They don’t take up bed space if you get the vertical one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have, that is my second choice over a whole new bumper, but with a little one on the way, budget must be factored in...

PeteEinMT

Observer
I had one on my 15 Ram Was a PIA having to open it all the time to let my dog out and it blocked my camera so I went with a Rhino Rack and spare on top of my topper Not ideal but better than the tire on the rear If I wasn't using it for dogs it may have worked but makes the truck that much longer

Pete

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Nater - I just purchased the identical truck and still waiting it to arrive.
I notice you are going with sliders over the black tubular side steps.
If you have a wife and new baby coming, how are you going to get them into the truck? I could barely get into one they had on the lot without the side step. My wife simply couldn't. Just curious! My Big Bertha build will be coming shortly.

Last edited:

nater

Adventurer
Nater - I just purchased the identical truck and still waiting it to arrive.
I notice you are going with sliders over the black tubular side steps.
If you have a wife and new baby coming, how are you going to get them into the truck? I could barely get into one they had on the lot without the side step. My wife simply couldn't. Just curious! My Big Bertha build will be coming shortly.

White knuckle will build them wider on request, not sure about maple offroad. Right now we have nothing, and we get in ok (wife is 5'4" and fairly pregnant). It's all about using the grab handle to pull yourself in.

What options did you go with? I heard the 2020s are getting some different options, but not sure on that. So far, we are loving the truck.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Well, this truck is fully loaded. Tow package, 12 inch screen, 360 camera, heated steering, heated front/rear seats, air conditioned seats, leather. About the only thing mine doesn't have (at least they tell me they think it doesn't until it arrives to confirm) is the ram boxes. That's ok because I'll be adding a DiamondBack bed cover and a bed slide. I will probably add some Super Springs on the rear to increase payload since I tow an airstream, but I'm gonna wait and confirm it's necessary. Of course, the truck is white. The one I test drove was outstanding. I just wasn't going to do a black truck in Tennessee. Too hot. I'm not a "Ford" guy or a "Dodge RAM" guy. However, I was a land rover guy for a long time and the Power Wagon is the closest thing to a Defender I've come across.

nater

Adventurer
Well, this truck is fully loaded. Tow package, 12 inch screen, 360 camera, heated steering, heated front/rear seats, air conditioned seats, leather. About the only thing mine doesn't have (at least they tell me they think it doesn't until it arrives to confirm) is the ram boxes. That's ok because I'll be adding a DiamondBack bed cover and a bed slide. I will probably add some Super Springs on the rear to increase payload since I tow an airstream, but I'm gonna wait and confirm it's necessary. Of course, the truck is white. The one I test drove was outstanding. I just wasn't going to do a black truck in Tennessee. Too hot. I'm not a "Ford" guy or a "Dodge RAM" guy. However, I was a land rover guy for a long time and the Power Wagon is the closest thing to a Defender I've come across.

I think you will love the 360 camera. The bed utility group lighting and bed step are also fantastic. The one option I got which I have not seen many others get was the dual alternators. With the winch, it makes 100% sense to me to get the higher output, but for some reason, its not very popular (even though its cheap at like 350 bucks).

Most guys seem to go with airbags in the back, but I have also heard that others use the Carli springs (which are a secret menu item), which give you an additional inch of lift/a bit more weight capacity.

What picture is that on your profile with the 2 lights mounted?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I think you will love the 360 camera. The bed utility group lighting and bed step are also fantastic. The one option I got which I have not seen many others get was the dual alternators. With the winch, it makes 100% sense to me to get the higher output, but for some reason, its not very popular (even though its cheap at like 350 bucks).

Most guys seem to go with airbags in the back, but I have also heard that others use the Carli springs (which are a secret menu item), which give you an additional inch of lift/a bit more weight capacity.

What picture is that on your profile with the 2 lights mounted?
I mocked that up in photoshop to show the dealer where I wanted the two Hella 4000s (which have followed me through 6 trucks) mounted.

PeteEinMT

Observer
I also checked all the boxes including dual alternator Everything but sunroof and ram boxes. I went with the Daystar Cradles and airbags which so far work great

Pete

nater

Adventurer
Just finished a 600 mile trip to west Virginia and back for labor day. The trip computer indicated 15.7 mpg with the 37s and going near the speed limit the whole way. I think this 8 speed is pretty magical!

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
The truck I originally did paper work turned up missing. The dealer was thoughtful enough to get an exact truck BUT this one had not only all the options I ordered, but dual alternators, and the RAM BOX and Cargo Management system. It was almost $3K more but they charged me no difference because I had waited over a week for the original truck.

Thought I did pretty well on that deal. Gonna start my own thread now - Thanks
D

vupointoffroad

Just because mods:

Shift Knob:
The stock transfer case shift knob is terrible looking, like, really really terrible looking. It just does not fit with the remainder of the interior (leather, etc). A quick purchase later (M10x1.5 if anyone cares about thread pattern), we have an updated shift knob with the correct shift pattern on it. Side benefit, it sits higher, and I can actually reach it without bending down.

Ultra Hook:
I wanted something that would allow me to "suck" in the synthetic winch line instead of just wrapping it around the stock fairlead hooks (protecting the line from UV damage). So far, it has been useful to have both the shackle hole and the hook depending on what I want to hook up to, but I have really only played around with it, and moved some fallen trees around my buddies property.
Love the shift knob. Were did you purchase it?

nater

Adventurer
@vupointoffroad

A place called "TwistedShifterz" I dont know if you have ever tried to remove the stock knob, but it does not twist off... You need to remove the center cap (pry out with a small screwdriver or other tool), and then remove the nut. I almost lost my cool until I realized what was going on.

nater

Adventurer
So an update... I was originally waiting on 4th gen ram electronics to release their kit which interfaced the factory "auxiliary buttons". Unfortunately, I would like to get a power solution squared away and they seem to be taking a while.

I looked at the sPOD system, the switchpro system, and several others (including some DIY options). I ultimately decided to go with the sPOD Bantam. It's solid state, has 8x circuits that are each rated for 30 amps, and the control panel is not too large. I opted for the "HD" control panel vs the touchscreen, as all reports indicate the touch screen is difficult to use if your bouncing around, and I just dont like that many screens in my face at night.

It arrives tomorrow, so I will begin to figure out mounting solutions for the control panel and the "fuse box" unit. They connect with a single cat5 cable, so routing through the firewall should be easy using the clutch block off plate that is left open on my automatic truck.

After getting this squared away, next steps will be lighting, my HAM radio, and a bed cap.

Last edited:

chet6.7

Explorer
Here is a mount on the Tuffy,not an sPOD but you get the idea,not my truck either.

IMG_7340.JPG
I have the same Tuffy,I attached a couple of 2x3's to the front of the box on that ledge,and a MOLLE panel to the wood so I could attach items I wanted at hand. flashlight,seatbelt cutter/window breaker ect.
I mounted the sPOD touch screen on the top 2x3,it is just about even with the top of the Tuffy so it is right at hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior