Am I SOL?

GB_Willys_2014

To clarify: this is exactly my point. I thought I had 4.10s, but turns out I have 3.73s; I was wrong. Not the end of the world, but 4.10s would have been a better ratio (for me) than 3.73s as a starting point. Just like 3.73s would be better than 3.21s as a starting point. The closer I am (or thought I was) to the sweet spot would have meant not needing to regear, or at least have it not as bad to allow me to live with it for now. Realistically, 4.56 is probably what I would be considering to regear to at this point.

I appreciate the helpful comments; I learned something I didn't know (i.e. auto option replaces the 4.10s). Those who feel the need to bash the transmission choice: not so much. To each their own; it's my Jeep and I don't care if you like it. I've seen lots of configurations/modifications/bolt-ons that don't float my boat, but I don't make a point to ******** on someone else's choices. But hey, maybe I'm not as cool as you guys. ;)
4.56 is a good choice.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I realize I'm a little late chiming in, but fwiw, I looked on my 13 JKUR window sticker and it was a $200 upgrade in the options list for 4.10 gears with an auto transmision. It is really confusing when reading the standard equipment on a window sticker and then trying to decipher what is changed due to option packages. Manufacturers should have to modify window stickers to match the vehicle being sold. I feel for you! I specifically sought out 4.10 autos with both of my JK's and I would be extremely butt hurt to find out I had 3.73's! Money doesn't grow on trees around here and so it's a lot cheaper to do up front! People who act like it's no big deal must be cashing bigger checks than I do!

billiebob

Automatic, 5th gear 0.83 x 3.73 = 3.09 overall.
Manual, 6th gear 0.79 x 4.10 = 3.23 overall.

if you had 4.10 x 0.83 = 3.40.

I'd go to the dealer, be polite, ask for a solution.
Do not threaten legal action, be open to their suggestions.
Just have some facts, with 35s
with 3.73 at 60mph you'd be turning 1700rpm
with 4.10s t 60mph you'd be turning 1960rpm

No doubt about it with 35s you'd want 4.10s.
2000rpm is a real nice highway cruise.

But even more important is lift from a stop.
With 3.73s in 1st at 10mph, you'd turn 1286rpm
With 4.10s in 1st at 10mph, you'd turn 1400rpm
With big tires the lift off the line is way better with 4.10s... and easier on the torque converter too.

But it is all only relevant to the type of driving/wheeling you do. I ran 33s thru 3.07s for 10 years. I loved it in 4LO. The Jeep ran like a Mustang on forestry roads. If I'd have been into rock crawling it would have been way too high geared. I'd never do 35s just cuz it stresses everything more than 33s. But depending on your use, 3.73s might not be a bad choice..... altho the "in" crowd of followers will laugh at you.

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Automatic, 5th gear 0.83 x 3.73 = 3.09 overall.
Manual, 6th gear 0.79 x 4.10 = 3.23 overall.

if you had 4.10 x 0.83 = 3.40.

I'd go to the dealer, be polite, ask for a solution.
Do not threaten legal action, be open to their suggestions.
Just have some facts, with 35s
with 3.73 at 60mph you'd be turning 1700rpm
with 4.10s t 60mph you'd be turning 1960rpm

No doubt about it with 35s you'd want 4.10s.
2000rpm is a real nice highway cruise.

But even more important is lift from a stop.
With 3.73s in 1st at 10mph, you'd turn 1286rpm
With 4.10s in 1st at 10mph, you'd turn 1400rpm
With big tires the lift off the line is way better with 4.10s... and easier on the torque converter too.

But it is all only relevant to the type of driving/wheeling you do. I ran 33s thru 3.07s for 10 years. I loved it in 4LO. The Jeep ran like a Mustang on forestry roads. If I'd have been into rock crawling it would have been way too high geared. I'd never do 35s just cuz it stresses everything more than 33s. But depending on your use, 3.73s might not be a bad choice..... altho the "in" crowd of followers will laugh at you.

He entered into a legal contract for the vehicle as described, after reviewing the vehicle, the description, and the contract. He accepted said vehicle and signed the contract. It is way past too late legally to cry foul.

jadmt

ignore button user
He entered into a legal contract for the vehicle as described, after reviewing the vehicle, the description, and the contract. He accepted said vehicle and signed the contract. It is way past too late legally to cry foul.
yes and it is a 2014 so way past the point of legal recourse.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Hmmm... this thread inspired me to check mine. Similar situation 2104 JKUR bought new at dealer and window sticker says 4.10.

I was changing diff oil and sure enough... 41:11 ring and pinion... 3.73.

I’m not sure that I care, but it will make me pay much more attention in the future.

shade

Hmmm... this thread inspired me to check mine. Similar situation 2104 JKUR bought new at dealer and window sticker says 4.10.

I was changing diff oil and sure enough... 41:11 ring and pinion... 3.73.

I’m not sure that I care, but it will make me pay much more attention in the future.
Seeing how they change it up with the transmission and spec sheets, I'll bet there are quite a few with the same.

Justincredible

Adventurer
I did the 35s with 3.73 for over a year and it honestly felt great to me.
I recently switched to 4.56 and I actually prefer it with the 3.73s in every situation except when 4lo is required.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Even if the dealer did pity you, way after they need to, would you want them to swap your gears instead of an axle shop? Heck no. Write it off, and find a gear pro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz