1st Gen Sequoia vs GMT800 Suburban Advice

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
That's not exactly true. The AutoTrack 4wd system (I think that's what it's called) has an "Automatic 4wd" setting that is kind of a half-assed center differential. I believe it works by using the slippage sensors from the ABS to activate the 4wd system. It's not as good as having a true center differential like the Sequoia or 03-09 4runner, but it's better than having to manually choose between 2wd and 4wd.
I was sure you were incorrect so I looked into it. You are correct.

Frogprince

Observer
I am just throwing out there. Look for a GMT400 K2500 with the 7.4 in the burb flavor.

I purchased one after owning a FJ62 Land Cruiser and came to the realization that it wouldn't haul my wife, daughter (car seat), and the dog with camping gear. So I sold it and purchased a Suburban and have been using it.

I get in the teens for mileage, can tow up to 11,000 lbs and have space for days. I need to get better at how much gear we are bringing. Only advantage over the later GMT800 is cost. I really wanted to go with an 8.1L but I was able to pick mine up in Portland for $3k. I have had to do a fuel pump, fix the A/C and new tires. It has been a solid truck

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I am not 100% sure, but does the auto-4wd option just enable/disable the front axle disconnect? That would be a lot more responsive than shifting the Tcase.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The GM engines are better thats for sure. The premium fuel need in the Toyota 4.7 isn’t ideal. The GM mileage is better. The used prices with GM are far better. You can get a much nicer newer lower mileage GM for the same price as an older higher mileage Sequoia.

The Tahoe and Yukon are just very very slightly larger than the Sequoia in foot print. Side by side they are close but the GM twins are slightly wider.
the 4.7 doesnt require premium

60beforetruck

I have a 06 seqouia and a 03 2500 suburban. SUBURBAN!

More room, LS base motor, and same aftermarket suspension as 2500 trucks. Yes the auto track transfer case is not the best. I just leave it out off auto 4x4.
You can fit a full size mattress in the back and have a 8' long roof rack for a roof top tent for kids.
Suburban gets my vote.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
the 4.7 doesnt require premium
Nope it doesn’t officially but I can tell you it runs much better on 91 and several friends with the 4.7 have the same experience. It rattles like a box of rattle snakes on 87 when your pushing 2500+rpm. Run premium and its smooth no rattling. The owners manual doesn’t require it but suggests it.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just test drove the 2019 5.3L 8spd Yukon slt and 6.2L 10spd Denali. The SLT has the classic Suburban floaty ride which isn’t a bad thing persay but hasn’t really been my cup of tea. The Sequoia ride quality is more controlled less floaty boat feel. That much I can say!! The Denali with Active ride suspension was a very different animal no floaty boat ride effect. The 6.2 10spd combo. Yeah that and the Active ride suspension makes the yukon a totally different machine to drive down the highway.

Will be taking the wife to test drive the Denali. 2019’s are going for below invoice as dealers shed inventory for the new IRS 2020 models

lilkia

If your comparing the sequoia and the suburban you dont have to limit yourself to the gmt 800. For a comparable price you could go newer and look at the gmt900 1500 burbs. For savings and reliability there are a lot of gmt400 burbs out there with the 5.7 vortecs. Its not an LS motor but they are one of the most reliable engines out there.

As mentioned the 2500s are beefier and generally better if your hauling or towing often. Gmt400 2500s are easy to find and with the 4l80e trans in all 2500s with the 5.7 or 7.4 they are a bargain at the going rate. When I was looking I saw dozens of very clean gmt400 2500s with just over 100k for around $3-4000. I wanted a barn door and most were tailgates. I found a gmt800 barn door 2500 with an 8.1 with well under a100k but I paid a premium for it, and couldnt be happier. It will do anything I need and makes me smile everytime I push the skinny pedal.

lilkia

I use my 02 2500 suburban for a tow/hunting rig. It's a supercharged 8.1L with the 4l80 (I've heard it's actually a 4l85 but I thought that was just later years). I doubt you need the power of the 8.1L or a supercharger but I don't think you can really go wrong with a burb.. I pull regularly a ~7K camper and I cant even feel it behind me unless theres a MASSIVE side wind.. I have maxed out at over my 12K tow limit and even then the burb handled the weight pretty good even though it was a short distance. But i tow my trailer 4ish hours to my hunting area and then hunt for 2ish weeks and it's my runaround for that too. It's gone anywhere I've wanted it to without any issues. Mud/snowy terrain was just fine. Although it's a little wide it still went on some narrower jeep trails (maybe even side x side?) and my only issue was a one time mistake of thinking I could fit between 2 trees and knocked a mirror. It's still stock aside from the supercharger and I've found its approach/deparcher and break over limits a couple times so a lift and bigger tires would be nice. Maybe even some different bumpers to help alleviate the approach and departure angles some. I can't say yes or no to a 1st gen yota but I don't think you can really go wrong with a burb. Even though the burbs aren't typically upgraded the trucks are frequently and they are similar enough you can get away with most of their components

With a 02 its 50/50 on the 4l85e. Look for the MN8 rpo code in the glove box. 4l80e is MT1.

45Kevin

Adventurer
I have never owned a Sequoia, but I drove a 1998 'Burb 1500 with the 6.5TD for many years.
The 1500 with the diesel has 8 lug running gear.

They made the 'burb with the diesel until 2003 I think and once you relocate the PCM (cheap mod) they are bullet proof.
And economical. I got mid-20's on the highway, mid to high teens towing (6000-7000#s) and much better mileage off road than any gasser.
I also ran it on veggie oil quite a lot. That cut fuel cost even more, and the exhaust smelled like french fries. LOL

And room. I had a an old Sunbeam motorcycle in the back and still had room to sleep.

And with the G80 LSD it did very well off road as well.

They are somewhat rare but if you have time to wait watch Craigslist and E-bay and you will see nice ones come up for sale occasionally.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Nope it doesn’t officially but I can tell you it runs much better on 91 and several friends with the 4.7 have the same experience. It rattles like a box of rattle snakes on 87 when your pushing 2500+rpm. Run premium and its smooth no rattling. The owners manual doesn’t require it but suggests it.
all ive ever ran in my gx470 is 87 and it makes zero rattle noises.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
all ive ever ran in my gx470 is 87 and it makes zero rattle noises.
Gx doesn’t get tuned like the Sequoia. The GX gets a lazy tune as does the LC. The Sequoia tune is far more aggressive. The 4.7 in the Sequoia is a different animal than the GX and LC regarding tune. Toyota turned up the wick on the Sequoia to compete with the Suburban.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
2005 -2007 Toyota boosted the tune on the 4.7 to 282hp vs the GX and LC get the 260hp tune. Trust me there is a difference and the 2005-2007 Sequoia get the premium recommendation in the owners manual.

tbisaacs

Adventurer
You can’t go wrong with either. I loved the space of my suburban and how cheap it was to own. I’ve also got friends with over 300k miles on their 4.7s (and original transmission).

It’s Worth noting that Sequoia has coils up front. I replaced every bushing and added 5100s when I had my suburban and it still rode like it was on wagon wheels.

As others pointed out the drive by wire plus whacky gearing of the 4L60 did not make for an enjoyable experience on anything moderately technical off road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior