Oh, the joys of vehicle shopping....

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It was my understanding places near Calgory (Airdrie, AB to be exact) uses salt quite heavily? I could be mistaken. But lots coming from that providence.
I live in Alberta. Calgary uses beet brine. Edmonton just started using calcium chlorite a year or so ago on a couple road ways, not all. Not sure what Airdrie uses. But, for the most part, it's the eastern provinces like Ontario and Quebec that use salt. For years, us westerners loathed eastern cars because of the rust issues.... even on 1 year old lease return cars, you could easily spot an eastern car. Saskatchewan and Manitoba cars were good though.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've seen some shady dealers spray pretty much the whole underside with black spray paint. It's very obvious, but maybe not to most buyers. The dealer you're buying from seems to have good reviews, though.

Good luck. Take I70 back and hit some national parks along the way.

Yeah, like I said the wife insisted that I stop halfway, she doesn't like the thought of me driving straight through for 9 hours. I'll likely take a scenic route through Douglas Pass and/or explore some of the area around the Book Cliffs.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
If you happen to be going through Glenwood Springs and looking for a tasty bite to eat, I highly recommend Chomps Deli. It’s just barely north of I-70 on the last exit before you head into the canyon.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Last two new vehicles I bought I used the Consumer Reports process- they tell you every price the dealer pays for the vehicle, various options etc plus all dealer programs that cut the costs for the dealership and tells you what you should pay for the vehicle.

I called around asking who would meet X for the price and if they said no (a few were belligerent ************** ("I'm not selling it for that! I have to stay in business.") Yep, you do, just not on my dime).

Once I found a dealer willing to meet that price it was easy and I went with them.

The only time I use dealer financing is after I have gotten agreement on a price AND if the loan rate is a super low rate (with my Yukon I got 0% for 5 years, so yeah, I let them do it.

ETA Actually that's not entirely true- I did a lease then purchase for a car in the 1990's, the NPV of doing that then buying the car at the end made sense. I was on the road about 40k per year but told them 10K on the lease payment calcs. I was 100K over the lease "mileage" when I bought the car. But it made sense at the time based on interest rates. And also the sales tax which here in MA is 6.25% so better to have it applied "monthly" to a lease payment given the lower interest rate they were using to determine the lease than my "hurdle rate" I was usingto compare. Bought two cars that way now that I think about it. I'll explore all options. Especially as I'm going to drive vehicles until they're piles of rust. My goal is when the donation guy comes to pick it up (usually get more for the deduction than a "trade value") he needs to sweep up what's left and take it away. Ha.

But yeah, dont give in to their BS.

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I live in Alberta. Calgary uses beet brine. Edmonton just started using calcium chlorite a year or so ago on a couple road ways, not all. Not sure what Airdrie uses. But, for the most part, it's the eastern provinces like Ontario and Quebec that use salt. For years, us westerners loathed eastern cars because of the rust issues.... even on 1 year old lease return cars, you could easily spot an eastern car. Saskatchewan and Manitoba cars were good though.

I am from Quebec so I can attest to that. However things seem to be a bit better now. I think cars have better rustproofing methods and perhaps they use less salt...I mean, you still see rust, but not as bad as before. That said, I would still much prefer to buy a car from the West Coast...

:)

Congrats on your purchase!

D

Deleted member 9101

To the OP: get on Amazon and order an OBD 2 Bluetooth adaptor and down load the app "Torque Pro" it cost $5.00 It will allow you to see every sensor that the ECM can see. Most importantly is a boost gauge. Whilst you are on the HW, adjust your speed until you don't need any boost to maintain speed on flat ground. Should be somewhere between 65 and 75 MPH. This will net you the highest MPG while cruising. Boost = fuel.

Of interest to me is the fuel rail pressure and cat temps. Its neat to see them rise and fall as the load on the engine changes.

This is what mine looks like at 70MPH.

Screenshot_2019-07-10-07-37-51.png

Cackalak Han

Explorer
To the OP: get on Amazon and order an OBD 2 Bluetooth adaptor and down load the app "Torque Pro" it cost $5.00 It will allow you to see every sensor that the ECM can see. Most importantly is a boost gauge. Whilst you are on the HW, adjust your speed until you don't need any boost to maintain speed on flat ground. Should be somewhere between 65 and 75 MPH. This will net you the highest MPG while cruising. Boost = fuel.

Of interest to me is the fuel rail pressure and cat temps. Its neat to see them rise and fall as the load on the engine changes.

I looked up Torque Pro and it’s $15. But I’m on iOS. It’s also only got 10 reviews at 3 stars.

Looks like a cool app though.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter

I thought Torque only worked on Android? I have an IPhone.

D

Deleted member 9101

I looked up Torque Pro and it’s $15. But I’m on iOS. It’s also only got 10 reviews at 3 stars.

Looks like a cool app though.

I have used it for yeeears and loved it. It's by far the most useful vehicle app available for Android.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles