Back in a Rover again, mild LR3 build

Ray_G

Explorer
Absent a fridge I'd just get a microstart and skip the dual battery.
R-
Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gatorgrizz27

Time for an update, nothing particularly exciting to report but I’ve done a few things.

Changed the engine oil, which was pleasantly easier to access and less of a mess than on a Range Rover, as well as the transfer case fluid and oil in both differentials. Rear diff looked great but not sure how indicative that is since the fluid was fresh in the first place. Front was not so great, with a good amount of powdered shavings and some small chunks. Hopefully I won’t need to rebuild it soon as it seems a lot of them show this. Went with Royal Purple for the fluids, due to availability over the Rover stuff.

5F7D1355-4B61-40DD-8AE9-D77D57CD0F36.jpeg

I got the other aux input and iPhone adapter/charging cable installed. It wasn’t difficult other than space behind the dash being very tight. Basically unplug the radio harness, and plug in the adapters. I tapped the 12v socket to power it, and all works great. The sound quality is really good also, it makes you seek out music that has been recorded properly and not compressed. I ended up routing the cable through the rubber center console tray, so I can just buy a new one if I get rid of it at some point, and I covered with wire with plastic loom and heat shrink to protect it. Highly recommended if you care about sound quality and would like to charge your phone at the same time.

76555E8C-B30A-4211-B3B7-9DB180B316F5.jpeg90F7C5E2-1239-4C1F-B02D-DEB1C2C136E9.jpegD552111B-4B9D-46AF-B243-1D9B10115967.jpegA5F7E3BE-CC04-4786-BB01-7DDE1EB7767A.jpeg

This video was helpful for removing the lower part of the dash where the power outlets are. The center console trim has to come off, but it’s easy.
I’ve finally started paying a bit more attention to safety than I have in the past, I picked up a Coldfire fire extinguisher that uses biodegradable foam and won’t destroy your vehicle like the dry chemical ones will. It looks like it will fit under the front passenger seat if I relocate a relay and what I’m assuming is the seat ECU. I found some elastic Velcro straps to secure it with, will add a nylon pull strap that hangs out, and tweak the retaining clips on the plastic cover to make it pop off easily when the fire extinguisher is pulled out.

38C49DC1-494D-4148-8D68-5A47E7386240.jpeg

I also put together a trauma kit, which is something I probably should have had awhile ago. I work construction, plus hunting, mountain biking, cutting firewood, not to mention just regular car accidents could all be a bad deal. I can post specifics if people are interested, it’s similar to a military IFAK in contents. These little KUIU pouches are great, I didn’t want something “tactical” with a bunch of straps everywhere. The black one has a few emergency things like a knife, lighter, water treatment tablets, and basic first aid stuff like band aids, Tylenol, etc.

117A6FA8-E998-49D9-ADD8-F23B87D49EB4.jpeg

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
Any thoughts on if a dual battery setup is worth it if a guy isn’t going to run a fridge? The plan for electrical mods is a multi-mount winch that will likely not see very much use, some driving lights wired through the Land Rover auxiliary switch, a trailer brake controller, CB radio, and ARB single air compressor. Basically everything will only be used with the engine running, but I know these are electrically sensitive so I don’t want to piss off the electrical system fairies.
Running a fridge without house battery is asking to be stuck wherever you use the fridge. For example, if you have the lights coming on each time a door opens and the radio playing, in the time it takes to pack up for a big trip you can kill the starter battery. If you use a fridge without 2nd source, only run it when engine is running.

Don't use up the 2nd battery space with the arb compressor, locate that to the front of the box and put the battery and wiring/fuse block in there.

The air compressor you don't really need built in though. The ARB dual high output is better anyway and you can get the kit or build your own similarly. You can also look at Viair stuff. For tires, there are a lot of options.

My on board is under the hood in front of the driver side house battery with outlet and switch there but it also fills a 2nd factory sized air suspension tank mounted under passenger side onto the frame.

The 2nd battery will also allow you to run some 12v sockets for same engine off/camped uses. I leave things charging overnight all the time knowing they aren't drawing from the starter. Also on an lr3 the factory 12v aren't hot when key is off anyway so now that I think of it. not sure you could run a fridge when engine off. Maybe certain factory sockets stay hot? I haven't cared to check in 12 yrs LOL because never needed one. I have 4 extra sockets always hot off house battery. 2 at rear corners, 1 at driver side door edge for fridge central location, and one on left side center console which I think we robbed a factory socket and rewired because there are 2 sockets up there but the factory (passenger side) is dead w/ engine off. One of them was a lighter I'm guessing.

You might want to rethink that rear anchor you installed that you called a tow receiver ;) The rear end of the lr3 hangs way out and even minor situations off road will drag the bumper with nothing there. That thing is a liability and the factory part is perfectly fine for towing. I use mine often and one trip was a maxed out tandem 7x12 3500 miles.

Have fun !

Jwestpro

Explorer
Any thoughts on if a dual battery setup is worth it if a guy isn’t going to run a fridge? The plan for electrical mods is a multi-mount winch that will likely not see very much use, some driving lights wired through the Land Rover auxiliary switch, a trailer brake controller, CB radio, and ARB single air compressor. Basically everything will only be used with the engine running, but I know these are electrically sensitive so I don’t want to piss off the electrical system fairies.

oops, "not" running a fridge... LOL I misread

Well, it's been awesome to jump-start myself a few times simply by flipping a switch from standard to combine without even opening the hood.

gatorgrizz27

Thanks. I just don’t see the benefit of the fridge for my uses, which are DD, wheeling in the national forest, and 2-3 day camping trips. Wanted to make sure I wouldn’t overload the electrical system with the other accessories, but it sounds like it’s not an issue with the engine running.

I went ahead and bought the ARB heavy duty single compressor, it does fit fine in front of the spare battery box but there’s not a great way to mount it from a brief look. I’m leaning towards putting it inside the box and can move it if I add a second battery in the future.

gatorgrizz27

I do carry a NOCO lithium jump starter, so I’m not worried about that capability. I agree the rear hitch isn’t ideal, I needed something quick and temporary as I pull a 6x12 enclosed trailer almost daily. If I could find a factory hitch for a decent price I’d go that route, but I’m not paying $400 for one. The plan is to build a Mitchell/Rhino style high clearance hitch at some point, I’m going to make one for the front as well, and add a multi mount winch.

031DEA07-EF9F-4AB7-A0AA-06AEE5B92B9D.jpeg

Ray_G

Explorer
Thanks. I just don’t see the benefit of the fridge for my uses, which are DD, wheeling in the national forest, and 2-3 day camping trips. Wanted to make sure I wouldn’t overload the electrical system with the other accessories, but it sounds like it’s not an issue with the engine running.

I went ahead and bought the ARB heavy duty single compressor, it does fit fine in front of the spare battery box but there’s not a great way to mount it from a brief look. I’m leaning towards putting it inside the box and can move it if I add a second battery in the future.

I didn't see the benefit of the fridge either-and more importantly neither did the wife-till I decided we 'needed' one for VOT. Years later, our primary application is as you describe. DD, gravel roads exploring, and camping...and I'd say it is one of the favorite aspects of the truck. More importantly, the Minister of Finance (i.e. the wife), who had been skeptical at initial purchase, would say the exact same thing. We use it every single day. Anytime someone starts talking about wheels/tires/lifts/Expolicious jewelry like maxtrax, winches, snorkels I always ask 'have you baselined the maintenance, and have you considered a fridge since it will be the thing that brings you the most joy during ownership of the truck. Your results may vary, but don't knock it till you've tried it!

John R

I didn't see the benefit of the fridge either-and more importantly neither did the wife-till I decided we 'needed' one for VOT. Years later, our primary application is as you describe. DD, gravel roads exploring, and camping...and I'd say it is one of the favorite aspects of the truck. More importantly, the Minister of Finance (i.e. the wife), who had been skeptical at initial purchase, would say the exact same thing. We use it every single day. Anytime someone starts talking about wheels/tires/lifts/Expolicious jewelry like maxtrax, winches, snorkels I always ask 'have you baselined the maintenance, and have you considered a fridge since it will be the thing that brings you the most joy during ownership of the truck. Your results may vary, but don't knock it till you've tried it!

Agreed. Our fridge is by far the most used accessory. The winch barely once a year, spotlights occasionally, roof rack occasionally - fridge however all the time. Probably moreso now that we’re in a D4 where the rear is closer to my wife’s level than the lifted D2 with draws in the rear.

gatorgrizz27

Interesting. I always assumed it was primarily useful for week long trips to not worry about getting ice. What do you use it for on a regular basis? Our family doesn’t drink soda, on road trips a water or tea lasts longer than food/bathroom/gas breaks. I don’t imagine riding around with a fridge full of beer all the time would help me make great decisions either ;).

The times I generally use coolers I like being able to move it where I want it (boat, beach, pool, campground picnic table), or I’m putting a dead animal inside it. I imagine it would be handy for mid-day grocery store stops, but don’t think I’d be willing to give up the cargo space the rest of the time.

I do understand not knowing what you’ve been missing until you’ve tried it though, and plan on leaving the battery/fridge option available if our lifestyle changes to accommodate longer road trips.

FWIW, I’m not the “expo jewelry” type. A buddy of mine and I have been laughing at the Jeeps around town with waxed and polished hi lift jacks mounted to them. My goal for this vehicle is to keep it as stock appearing as possible while mildly improving utility and capability. Maintenance has been taken care of except for the tranny pan and filter, it’s on the list but I’m not looking forward to it.

Last edited:

John R

But hard to list things off the top of my head but we regularly use it to keep lunch and snacks cool when we’re out (kids to the park, etc). It’s good for the shopping in the 45 deg Celsius heat. Generally lots of things. It’s only a small compact 40lt tho

Ray_G

Explorer
Optimal placement of the fridge, in my experience, is in the center (30) section of the 2nd row 35/30/35 seats-thus it really doesn't impact cargo area loss. It could have minor impact if you were to use your truck as a van and fold all the seats flat. It does offer a barrier between rear passengers-for me that means each of my kids have some space of their own.

What does it get used for daily; everything and nothing.
As far as driving around with a fridge of beer assisting in decisions, mine usually has at least 6 in it. They rarely get used, but I will say when you are somewhere where it is appropriate to pull some out to have a round, celebrate something, whatever-that's when you realize that it was nice to have (and a lot nicer than hauling ice around).

Just food for thought, afterall it is very much your truck but having spent 5 years in the platform now with a lot of miles and a lot of trips in it, if it didn't work I'd have ironed it out by now (as my build thread is full of 'well, this is ver 3.4 of this effort...just not as it relates to foundational things).
r-
Ray

jkatka

I mounted mine using the ARB mounting kits and using the bolt locations for the seat with some eyelet mounts in the 30 seat area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94