Should I buy this 03 D2 as my first rover?

kenley&co

So I found a 2003 D2 I think is a decent deal...1500. The problems are a few electrical things...seat heaters, rear wipers I don’t care. 3 amigos is on. But he says it runs solid 176k miles, rust free, motor was swapped with an 02 that was wrecked by the original owner and he says it has about the same mileage. It doesn’t have a front bumper because he sold the plate bumper that was on it. Should I get it?

This will be my first Land Rover. I’m mechanically inclines and I have a friend who has all the tools I need to wrench. It won’t be my daily I want to lift it and use it as a trail rig. I have a 4runner as my daily. But there is potential if I got this rover and it ended up being a solid truck that I would sell my wife’s Honda Element, give her the 4Runner and daily drive this.

He also says the valve seals are weeping a bit. Power steering pump and alternator have been replaced, and CPS fixed...I’m not sure what that is?

What do you guys more experienced think? I love discos I’ve always wanted one but I can’t afford to get one with lower mileage for 5-7k. I’ve read the 3 amigos is no big deal a 120$ part and half a day of work.

Ray_G

Explorer
$1500...the gateway to $15000 plus a lot of time for a suboptimal platform (no locking CDL, may not even have the nipple on the TC if memory serves me for this year). Late in the engine life of the platform that started decades before, the 02's engine may well go at some point...etc.

Don't mean to be a downer, others love their D2's but I'd either get a D1 or a 3...but I'm biased, b/c I have a D1...and a 3.

kenley&co

It’s all good I like honest answers. I love land rovers so I’m willing for a little headache but I want to be able to handle most the wrenching myself.

I thought you could just Jerry rig the cdl onto the 03s no?

I think LR3s are great platforms but they are out of my price range unless I sold my 4Runner and I feel like they lack a bit of the character a disco 1 or 2 or Range Rover classic has.

I would rather find a d1 but I can’t ever find any that aren’t junk. There’s one in town that is original owner and it looks great but it’s got 220k on it and they’re asking 5. I think it’s a 95

kenley&co

Is one better than the other on the trails? D1 vs 2. And I’ve read that the axles are weak with lockers installed, is this true?

Ray_G

Explorer
You may be able to retrofit the CDL into the 03 TC; that's a great question for a search on Discoweb (search, not a post...Dweb is a long term bastion of tremendous knowledge, every question you'd have has been asked/answered there for a decade).

LR3s do lack the character of the earlier models. They make up for that in boring utility and reliability.

On the trails comparison is a very subjective question; depends on what kind of wheeling you do and how much modification you do.

On the whole D1s are shorter, and have aged better (in my opinion) than the Dii's. Meaning if you find one now, it has likely been maintained and has survived. Whereas Dii's are still at the tail end of a wide proliferation with an even wider variance in pedigree. A decade ago you could get D1's for $500-1500. There is a reason why you can get Dii's for that now. Is that a good deal? Depends on how much you like to wrench.

Personally if you are looking for a project and like to wrench, I'd wait, save a little, and find the best D1-closest to stock-from the 96-99 year group. The GEMS system is aging well, the motors don't have the HG issues the Dii's do, the frames aren't as thin as the Dii's are, etc. It's plucky and quirky but is a quintessential Rover.

I am biased though, and someone will come along and point out that they are older now, have more miles, the parts are less plentiful than Dii's, that there are plenty of Dii's out there to be had cheap, etc.

That isn't wrong. It's also why I suggest a D1.
r-
Ray

Jwestpro

Explorer
I have all 3. MY D2 gives me the biggest grin to drive probably because it's just snappy enough but also still like the older feel of solid axles. It also seems a lot less rust prone than the D1.

My D2 04 has less than 90k on it though and the D1 243,000. The D1 still starts strong every single time though.

With any of them the "cheap" ones are likely going to cost you the same as the well taken care of version costing more up front. That 03 D2 sounds like a bunch of ******** wrong with it and I doubt 1 owner. Both my D1 and D2 I am the 2nd owner and since 20,000 miles or less, maybe 15k on the D2 actually. Preemptive maintenance is probably why none of them have ever needed a tow truck. 243k+90k+167k = 500,000 miles yet never let me down... and 'people' say Rovers are unreliable...

LOL High maintenance does not equate to lack of reliability.

Just because you read some ******** about "3 amigos" doesn't mean you or that owner know what the actual cause or true repair is or will be... There is a company making custom aftermarket bits for the D1 DII called Falconworks in AZ.

OLFLA59

You may be able to retrofit the CDL into the 03 TC; that's a great question for a search on Discoweb (search, not a post...Dweb is a long term bastion of tremendous knowledge, every question you'd have has been asked/answered there for a decade).

LR3s do lack the character of the earlier models. They make up for that in boring utility and reliability.

On the trails comparison is a very subjective question; depends on what kind of wheeling you do and how much modification you do.

On the whole D1s are shorter, and have aged better (in my opinion) than the Dii's. Meaning if you find one now, it has likely been maintained and has survived. Whereas Dii's are still at the tail end of a wide proliferation with an even wider variance in pedigree. A decade ago you could get D1's for $500-1500. There is a reason why you can get Dii's for that now. Is that a good deal? Depends on how much you like to wrench.

Personally if you are looking for a project and like to wrench, I'd wait, save a little, and find the best D1-closest to stock-from the 96-99 year group. The GEMS system is aging well, the motors don't have the HG issues the Dii's do, the frames aren't as thin as the Dii's are, etc. It's plucky and quirky but is a quintessential Rover.

I am biased though, and someone will come along and point out that they are older now, have more miles, the parts are less plentiful than Dii's, that there are plenty of Dii's out there to be had cheap, etc.

That isn't wrong. It's also why I suggest a D1.
r-
Ray

OLFLA59

Ray, thanks for sharing your knowledge. I was only considering getting a 2004 D2, but you've peaked my interest in a D1. The D1's I've seen online are a lot more $$ than a D2. I need to learn more about the D1's.

XJLI

Adventurer
D1 was my first Rover, even though I wanted a 2. I was back and forth a bit but I'm happy I went with the D1 instead, but sad I got rid of it. Bad timing when the head gasket let go.

kenley&co

Hey guys sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I never ended up getting that disco. I am indeed heading to buy one in the morning though. Either a D1 manual or a 2002 D2.

I noticed above you said look for 96-99...what’s wrong with 95? This one is a 95

Carson G

Hey guys sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I never ended up getting that disco. I am indeed heading to buy one in the morning though. Either a D1 manual or a 2002 D2.

I noticed above you said look for 96-99...what’s wrong with 95? This one is a 95
If the D1 is in good shape buy it. D1 manuals are hard to find I’ve trying to find a decent one for years.

kenley&co

I’d say it’s decent shape, not as good as the D2 but it is original owner. It’s leaking which is to be expected, but he says it runs good main thing it needs is new cv axles. I’m going to go drive both tomorrow...definitely leaning towards the d1 though I love having a manual truck and its my favorite rover color, green ??

EricG

Explorer
I've got an 03 with 186,000 plus miles on it other than replacing parts that were just worn out and the clear coat peeling I've had no problems with the truck. I picked up a 95 5 speed a few weeks ago was in the same family since new. it was maintained great but the never did any maintenance themselves always had someone else. I found rust that's fixable but would have been caught if they were a little more hands on. Great service doesn't mean no issues,

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Great service doesn't mean no issues,
So true I got a 08 LR3 HSE with 86,000 mile fully dealer Serviced since new and Had all the Maintenance records put into my hand when I picked it up. If I had not bought a warranty when I go the truck i would have had to shell out 8k in the first 6 months, most caused by a one year one belt braking. I am the exception with the reliability of LR3's all though most things have sorted out and I do my on Maintenance now and that helps keep cause down. That Said the Discovery 1 is my favorite Land Rover Ever. I really regret selling my last one to get the 3. If that 95 is in good shape Grab it! most of the work on them is easy and a lot of the little part cross with GM parts an that brings cost down too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles