Pequod - A 2019 Ram Power Wagon Build

nater

Adventurer
Since "white whale" / "trail whale" and all other whale based names appear to be taken, this build will be named Pequod, Captain Ahab's ship from Moby ********.

With the expected arrival of our first little one, and me getting back into chasing upland birds more frequently, the previous vehicle (a 2014 FJ Cruiser) was looking a little small for me, the wife, the dog, and a little one, along with a week’s worth of hunting gear, clothes, dog supplies, human supplies etc.

We don’t tow heavy (our teardrop is light), and 99% of my driving other than trips is city driving, so a diesel did not make a lot of sense. The power wagon was chosen, as it will fit our gear, tow when needed, and comes with all the off-road goodies we will need (lockers, winch, etc), and go basically anywhere I want to take it (and that it will fit)

Along came the 2019 power wagon, which brings some not insignificant upgrades from the 2018 models. The interior is all new, along with an 8 speed transmission, and a new winch (Warn Xeon with synthetic line). There are a few other undocumented upgrades, like the ability to lock the rear diff in 4wd High.

Part availability for the 2019's is a mixed bag right now. Some parts from the 2018's work, but most of the critical ones (sliders for example) are delayed due to changes in the design.

The point of this build is to carry me, my wife, my little one, and the dog in relative comfort for hunting trips for birds. They are never longer than a week, and we typically are not far from help/civilization if needed.

Current Mods:
  • AEV Salta 17x8.5 wheels (with trim rings)
  • 37” Falken AT3W’s (37x12.5r17's)
  • Factor 55 Ultra Hook
  • Diff protection
  • Decked Storage Drawers
  • KaodTech Security Bypass Harness for 2019+ HD Rams (the security module moved behind the cluster for 2019, and I refuse to remove the cluster to correct the tire size etc)
  • A transfer case shift knob that does not look like it is out of a 1982 fiat
  • SPOD Bantam
  • Undertruck front lighting (baja designs) s2 sports in flood)
  • Removed front air dam
  • Maple Offroad Sliders (extra wide, full top plates)

Upcoming Mods:
  • RLD Designs Topper
  • A rear bumper or other way to mount a 37” spare on the rear of the truck
  • 2nd battery with Solar and Shore charging options
  • Shocks and (maybe) a front level
I also wanted to provide a list of things we know are different/updated on the 2019s vs the 2018 trucks:
  • Facelift (front bumper, headlights, hood, fenders, grill, no more FM antenna hanging off the front fender)
  • New engine bay layout
  • Airbox is now the same as the diesel trucks, air intake is now at the hood line by the grill
  • 360 camera available
  • Xeon Winch with synthetic line
  • New Axle castings, pinion seal, etc have been changed. Axle tube diameter has changed (increased)
  • New dash
  • Ability to lock rear axle in 2wd, 4wd, and 4-lo
  • New Frame
  • New motor mounts, active vibration canceling modules
  • New Security Module Location
  • 8 speed transmission

fullsizer_05-jpg.531624

Attachments

• FullSizeR_05.jpg
    FullSizeR_05.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 2,135
Last edited:

nater

Adventurer
Decked storage Drawers:

I got a quote from truck vault, and at almost 6k, decided that was a little rich for my blood for truck drawers. I saw some threads here about the Decked Drawer system, and at under $1,500, the choice was clear. Let me be straight forward, I am sure the Truck Vault drawers are high quality and make efficient use of space, but the price difference was simply too great to ignore.

Shipping was fast (~3 days to me in Ohio), and assembly was not too bad. One note for anyone following in my footsteps, use the directions they provide in the bolt box, not the ones online, they are significantly out of date. Even following the directions in the box, there were several notes included in various bolt bags not to follow the printed directions, but to follow a new procedure which was improved. Overall, not too bad, but they could definitely use a technical writer to help them out!

Installation was straightforward minus one snag. I assembled the drawers in my dining room (which is really a whiskey room, so no table in the middle), and when I called a buddy over to help me lift them into the truck, we realized that the 2019's have tie downs in places where the 2018's do not. I had a choice, remove the tie downs, or break out the dremel... Dremel tool to the rescue. The plastic that the decked drawers are made of is VERY easy to cut with a sanding drum, and looks pretty clean when done.

I need to pull them out and trim around the bed lighting switch near the tailgate so I can reach it more easily, but that's a pretty low priority item currently, since I can still sneak my finger in there. It looks like Decked uses a standard platform mold, and then trims the deck for various trucks. If you are listening, maybe make these changes, I don't think I will be the only one running up against them!

Downside - The dividers I purchased dont "snap" into place, and keep popping loose, I am going to have to call them over the next few days to figure out what is going on. The seem almost too narrow to fit in the drawers?

Attachments

• Decked Drawers - Dremel.jpg
    Decked Drawers - Dremel.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 355
  • Decked Drawers.jpg
    Decked Drawers.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 364
Last edited:

nater

Adventurer
Wheels and Tires:

I wanted 37's, I dont need 37's, but I really really wanted them. All reports were that they fit pretty well on the 2018 trucks, but no one (that I knew of at the time) had been down this road with a 2019. I will tell you they fit, and I did ZERO plastic trimming. I did use a heat gun to "push" the plastic at the rear of the front wheel well back, but that is it. Not trimming away plastic is important to me in the salt belt, so this was really ideal.

Was able to sell the stock wheels and tires for what I thought a good price was, so that offset some of the "hit" on this upgrade.

So far, I have not experienced any rubbing with my combo, but I still need to really flex it hard to be sure.

The new 8 speed transmission has a lower 1st gear then the previous 6 speed, and I dont really notice a difference around town. I have not towed anything with this combo yet, but so far, I am really pleased. I may regear in the future, but for now, it seems to be working pretty well with the stock 4.10's

The wheels are AEV wheels (17x8.5, +27mm offset), and the tires are 37x12.5r17 Falken AT3W's. So far, I am a big fan of this tire choice, they are quiet, and I read only good things about their snow traction. My FJ had BFG K02's on it, and these are quieter, and I believe will wear better. Snow traction is important for winter hunting trips, so hopefully I made the right choice!

Attachments

• 37 inch tires.jpg
    37 inch tires.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 728
Last edited:

nater

Adventurer
Just because mods:

Shift Knob:
The stock transfer case shift knob is terrible looking, like, really really terrible looking. It just does not fit with the remainder of the interior (leather, etc). A quick purchase later (M10x1.5 if anyone cares about thread pattern), we have an updated shift knob with the correct shift pattern on it. Side benefit, it sits higher, and I can actually reach it without bending down.

Ultra Hook:
I wanted something that would allow me to "suck" in the synthetic winch line instead of just wrapping it around the stock fairlead hooks (protecting the line from UV damage). So far, it has been useful to have both the shackle hole and the hook depending on what I want to hook up to, but I have really only played around with it, and moved some fallen trees around my buddies property.

Attachments

• Shift Knob.jpg
    Shift Knob.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 439
  • Ultra Hook.jpg
    Ultra Hook.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 442

Cackalak Han

Explorer
That's quite an upgrade from an FJ!! I bet all the interior room is nice. Nice mods so far. I bet it will be a great truck for you.

Decked storage Drawers:

I got a quote from truck vault, and at almost 6k, decided that was a little rich for my blood for truck drawers. I saw some threads here about the Decked Drawer system, and at under $1,500, the choice was clear. Let me be straight forward, I am sure the Truck Vault drawers are higher quality and make more efficient use of space, but the price difference was simply too great to ignore.

Shipping was fast (~3 days to me in Ohio), and assembly was not too bad. One note for anyone following in my footsteps, use the directions they provide in the bolt box, not the ones online, they are significantly out of date. Even following the directions in the box, there were several notes included in various bolt bags not to follow the printed directions, but to follow a new procedure which was improved. Overall, not too bad, but they could definitely use a technical writer to help them out!

Installation was straightforward minus one snag. I assembled the drawers in my dining room (which is really a whiskey room, so no table in the middle), and when I called a buddy over to help me lift them into the truck, we realized that the 2019's have tie downs in places where the 2018's do not. I had a choice, remove the tie downs, or break out the dremel... Dremel tool to the rescue. The plastic that the decked drawers are made of is VERY easy to cut with a sanding drum, and looks pretty clean when done.

I need to pull them out and trim around the bed lighting switch near the tailgate so I can reach it more easily, but that's a pretty low priority item currently, since I can still sneak my finger in there. It looks like Decked uses a standard platform mold, and then trims the deck for various trucks. If you are listening, maybe make these changes, I don't think I will be the only one running up against them!

Downside - The dividers I purchased dont "snap" into place, and keep popping loose, I am going to have to call them over the next few days to figure out what is going on. The seem almost too narrow to fit in the drawers?
Thank you for choosing the DECKED drawer system. We appreciate your feedback on the instructions. We have been working to modify the online instructions.

I assure you that you will not be disappointed in the quality. Price doesn't always equal quality. ;)

nater

Adventurer
Thank you for choosing the DECKED drawer system. We appreciate your feedback on the instructions. We have been working to modify the online instructions.

I assure you that you will not be disappointed in the quality. Price doesn't always equal quality. ;)

I have to say, I am super impressed with them, and I have not had a single drop of water make it into the drawers. I have heard mixed reviews of what the competitor product really gets you for the money!

Any tips and tricks about the dividers which don't "snap" into place? I used the included O-Rings...

Explorerinil

Observer

I’m going on 2 years with my decked and love it, espically during deer season.

Attachments

• 7E3EC273-C6CC-48CC-804A-41B1F66584E9.jpeg
    7E3EC273-C6CC-48CC-804A-41B1F66584E9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 318

Explorerinil

Observer
Since "white whale" / "trail whale" and all other whale based names appear to be taken, this build will be named Pequod, Captain Ahab's ship from Moby ********.

With the expected arrival of our first little one, and me getting back into chasing upland birds more frequently, the previous vehicle (a 2014 FJ Cruiser) was looking a little small for me, the wife, the dog, and a little one, along with a week’s worth of hunting gear, clothes, dog supplies, human supplies etc.

We don’t tow heavy (our teardrop is light), and 99% of my driving other than trips is city driving, so a diesel did not make a lot of sense. The power wagon was chosen, as it will fit our gear, tow when needed, and comes with all the off-road goodies we will need (lockers, winch, etc), and go basically anywhere I want to take it (and that it will fit)

Along came the 2019 power wagon, which brings some not insignificant upgrades from the 2018 models. The interior is all new, along with an 8 speed transmission, and a new winch (Warn Xeon with synthetic line). There are a few other undocumented upgrades, like the ability to lock the rear diff in 4wd High.

Part availability for the 2019's is a mixed bag right now. Some parts from the 2018's work, but most of the critical ones (sliders for example) are delayed due to changes in the design.

The point of this build is to carry me, my wife, my little one, and the dog in relative comfort for hunting trips for birds. They are never longer than a week, and we typically are not far from help/civilization if needed.

Current Mods:
  • AEV Salta 17x8.5 wheels (with trim rings)
  • 37” Falken AT3W’s
  • Factor 55 Ultra Hook
  • Diff protection (needs installed)
  • Decked Storage Drawers
  • KaodTech Security Bypass Harness for 2019+ HD Rams (the security module moved behind the cluster for 2019, and I refuse to remove the cluster to correct the tire size etc)
  • A transfer case shift knob that does not look like it is out of a 1982 fiat

Upcoming Mods:
  • RLD Designs Topper
  • A rear bumper or other way to mount a 37” spare on the rear of the truck
  • 2nd battery with Solar and Shore charging options
  • Shocks and (maybe) a front level
  • Sliders (White Knuckle JUST posted their 2019+ sliders), will order next week
Nice truck, I love the 19’s... a local dealer has a great deal on a 19 power wagon, I’m so tempted but pulling a camper I prefer the mighty cummins.

I have to say, I am super impressed with them, and I have not had a single drop of water make it into the drawers. I have heard mixed reviews of what the competitor product really gets you for the money!

Any tips and tricks about the dividers which don't "snap" into place? I used the included O-Rings...
Sometimes in the shipping process, the drawers will arrive stacked inside one another. This can bend out/widen the drawer that was on the bottom. There are two things to try. If you have been driving it around for a while, loaded, it should narrow itself up and they should work. If you have already been doing that, I would suggest that you remove the drawer and place it on its side and actually kneel into it. This should bend the L brace in the mold back. If none of this works, give us a call and we will send you new drawers. Sorry about that, but I hope one of these suggestions works.

Halligan

Adventurer
Nice Power Wagon Those decked drawers are pretty nice. Unfortunately they won't work with my Retrax roll up tonneau cover. Too bad Decked doesn't offer a half bed drawer system that would work with existing toolboxes and roll up tonneau's.

nater

Adventurer
Nice Power Wagon Those decked drawers are pretty nice. Unfortunately they won't work with my Retrax roll up tonneau cover. Too bad Decked doesn't offer a half bed drawer system that would work with existing toolboxes and roll up tonneau's.

On some bed lengths, there is a gap on the cab side that you can put a toolbox, I just dont think that is the case for the 6'4" bed on the rams. I am designing a low profile toolbox to stretch across the back (and sit on the Decked Drawers) for my 2nd battery etc.

Unfortunately, you are correct. We do not make a half drawer system. If you have an 8' bed, there is a 17"-21" void at the cab side of the DECKED system.

nater

Adventurer
Sometimes in the shipping process, the drawers will arrive stacked inside one another. This can bend out/widen the drawer that was on the bottom. There are two things to try. If you have been driving it around for a while, loaded, it should narrow itself up and they should work. If you have already been doing that, I would suggest that you remove the drawer and place it on its side and actually kneel into it. This should bend the L brace in the mold back. If none of this works, give us a call and we will send you new drawers. Sorry about that, but I hope one of these suggestions works.

Hmmm... it is both drawers (so while I dont know which one was on top during shipping, both are impacted). I have placed a battery in the drawer (which is plenty heavy), and will give it a day or two. I will let you know how that goes! Thank you for being super responsive!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior