"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

MNCarl

The Moose
Lola with a "bumper monkey"

XXcTla7l.jpg

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Hey all, It's been insanely long without even checking this thread. Life has been pretty busy for me with the wife and kid. We moved, then moved to a temporary residence, and now we're in the latter stages of doing a home remodel. Meanwhile, I graduated college and began a job search that's still ongoing. But there's a lot to say and a lot to show to get everyone caught up with what is happening now and the trips we've been taking.

Let's start by getting caught up from where we left off, July 2018. After our trip to the Tetons, we did a bit more tooling around Montana, including a visit to the Pryor Mountains.

I also drove Lola up to Hellroaring Plateau to attempt a climb up Mt. Reargard, but unfortunately we didn't quite make it. Still exceptional scenery though.

IN a day-trip attempt to check out a route I've been wanting to see for a while, Beret and I took Lola down to historic Virginia City to look over the history before hitting the dirt over the Gravelly Mountains. We only traveled a short portion of the dirt before having to bail out, but we're definitely going to try to go back.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
We also did another run to Independence under perfect weather. It was on a weekend, so there was plenty of other trail traffic. Funny enough, we became a bit legendary that day because news traveled up and down the trail that some crazy people were driving up there in their trucks. People were looking for us to ask what the hell we were thinking. A few came and gawked at our campsite. It was a great weekend with some sensational scenery.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
At the beginning of the summer, we had begun to formulate plans to travel to Colorado to attend my cousin's wedding. We decided to use it as a thin excuse to explore the state and check out one of the most amazing overland destinations in the country. Planning began very early to hit some historic sights along the way, drive the majority of the COBDR, and end up in Denver for the wedding.

To prepare for the long trip, I changed a few things about the truck. I added an LED light strip in the bed, seat covers, a few more storage solutions, and a roof bag to help carry stuff. The day quickly approached and we set off after work and into the night.

We camped in Wyoming's Wind River Canyon before slamming through Wyoming, which was miserable.

We drove on through northern Colorado and racked up the miles. By the end of the day we made it to Grand Junction and checked out the downtown area before finding a place to camp at Colorado National Monument. The next day, we took the time to see the sights and enjoy the landscape.

Next was heading south towards Cortez.

justbecause

perpetually lost
White Knuckle rock sliders

Look what the FedEx guy delivered to my house at 8:30 this morning!

These babies came in a 135lb box. The box survived the trip fairly well, only taking a slight beating in a few spots. There were a few small scuffs in the coating, but nothing major really. I've just gotta say, these are ridiculously well made. The bends are prefect and the welding is beautiful. The coating is strong and even. I'm very happy with them all told. They look fantastic, and are tougher than hell.

I immediately went to installing them. They use many factory holes, but you have to drill 12 holes and use thread cutting bolts for the full install. I got mine mostly mounted up, then tightened a bunch of the hardware down. I had to mark a bunch of holes and then remove the slider again so I could drill them properly. It takes time but is a fairly simple process. It's pretty straightforward, and I only ran into a couple little problems, which were more my fault than theirs.

Anyway, once they were on, they looked amazing!

I cannot stress enough how well made these things are.

And I have to say, opening the door and looking down to see this is a very comforting feeling :D

Super impressed with these things and super excited about them. I cannot recommend them highly enough. If you're looking for sliders, go with White Knuckle.

I can't believe this is my truck. :)

I am pretty sure I am going to go with the white knuckle sliders, thank you for posting these pictures. The ones on their site are bad to the point they aren't helping me see or understand how they really look.
I was going to just order them flat because I want them more for a step to help heft the oz up and down off the roof, but after looking at your pictures it seems like they stick out far enough to give you something to stand on even with the upward angle, is that correct?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I am pretty sure I am going to go with the white knuckle sliders, thank you for posting these pictures. The ones on their site are bad to the point they aren't helping me see or understand how they really look.
I was going to just order them flat because I want them more for a step to help heft the oz up and down off the roof, but after looking at your pictures it seems like they stick out far enough to give you something to stand on even with the upward angle, is that correct?

Yes, they absolutely have enough room to function as a step, especially the kickout in the rear. Super useful as a step.

aaen

Adventurer
Welcome back to the land of the living good to see you're doing all right

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

bigskypylot

Explorer
At the beginning of the summer, we had begun to formulate plans to travel to Colorado to attend my cousin's wedding. We decided to use it as a thin excuse to explore the state and check out one of the most amazing overland destinations in the country. Planning began very early to hit some historic sights along the way, drive the majority of the COBDR, and end up in Denver for the wedding.

To prepare for the long trip, I changed a few things about the truck. I added an LED light strip in the bed, seat covers, a few more storage solutions, and a roof bag to help carry stuff. The day quickly approached and we set off after work and into the night.

We camped in Wyoming's Wind River Canyon before slamming through Wyoming, which was miserable.

We drove on through northern Colorado and racked up the miles. By the end of the day we made it to Grand Junction and checked out the downtown area before finding a place to camp at Colorado National Monument. The next day, we took the time to see the sights and enjoy the landscape.

Next was heading south towards Cortez.
We are definitely going to do a trip when i get back full-time!!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Our drive towards Cortez was not along the standard route. We chose instead to drive through the extremely scenic Unaweep Canyon and along the Dolores River. It was more of the incredible desert terrain and slot canyons that I honestly had not expected at all in Colorado. The drive was amazing, and the views were exceptional.

After emerging from the canyon and piling onto the southeast plateau, we fueled up and aimed for Cortez. This part of the drive, frankly, kind of sucked. This corner of the state seemed run down and lonely. Luckily, it's a fairly short stretch to Cortez, where we stopped to re-provision before heading to Mesa Verde National Park.

We lucked out and were able to get a ticket on a relatively private tour of Cliff Palace, the largest dwelling in the park.

Our guide was awesome and being relatively alone was great. We only had two other people in our tour.

Dog-tired from the travel day, we opted to camp in the park campground. Luckily, there are showers there, and a great shop that covers most needs. We even had some visitors.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Next up we rolled through Dolores before hitting up the highway to Telluride. I had originally planned to follow the COBDR, but opted to hurry to Telluride instead. Maybe I was meant to, because Beret and I were witness to a pretty bad motorcycle crash outside Rico. Luckily, almost everyone who stopped was really useful. I had a working cell phone and some medical gear, a woman stopped who was a family doctor, another woman stopped who was an ER nurse, and a third guy stopped who was an EMT. I guess if you have to have a crash, that was the time.

After emergency services had the rider safely in their care, we carried on to Telluride.

Rolling in mid-afternoon, we discovered we had arrived during the Telluride Film Festival, which was sub-optimal, but there was quite the hustle and bustle going on. We checked out the farmer's market and got a bite to eat.

After checking out Telluride, we opted to check out the scenery. Just a little way outside of town is Bridal Veil Falls, and we wanted to get an up-close look. So we made our way up the trail slowly. Not very far in, I noticed steam billowing out from under the truck. An inspection revealed dumping coolant and a trail we had left behind us. Crap. It took a while, but I was able to find the problem. This plastic coolant tee on the firewall had sheared.

I was able to bypass this tee entirely and put the hose directly on the metal fitting on the firewall. Using our drinking water, I refilled the radiator a bit and drove into town to find some coolant. With that problem sorted, we were exhausted and drove up Last Dollar Road to find a campsite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles