Does a 12 x 15 tent Need a Camping AC?

MiaPacker

I have a 12 x 15 camping tent and I’m going on a trip with my wife. We were discussing how to deal with high temperatures and I was thinking the tent is spacious enough space and well-ventilated that it would keep us cool all day?

She thinks a portable AC is a good idea. What do you guys think?

I have a 10 x 14 canvas tent. So my answer is you can be... depends on where, when and weather report.

I have a 12v fan for that and a box fan if I have access to electric. Either can makes a world of difference and easier then carting an A/C unit around not to mention cheaper.

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
My suggestion would be that the answer is much more dependent on the wife than the location. The particular one I’ve chosen claims it will “freeze solid” at any temperature below 79.5 degrees and will “die of heat exhaustion” at any temperature above 80.0 degrees. Note that neither of these promises have been fulfilled, despite multiple opportunities. My daughters and I quickly figured out the one thing to leave home in order for everyone to engage in a happier trip... while AC would occasionally be nice, it hasn’t been needed since!

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Yep, totally depends on location. If it's hot and low humidity, some form of swamp cooling can be much more energy efficient (avoid generators).

For short term relief in dry, very hot situations I have used a 12v fan to keep the air moving and a handy mister bottle to spray myself and clothing with water. Effective!

Same with hiking - dry and hot I soak a shemagh and drape it over my hat and neck - I can feel the temp difference with every breath I take

nwoods

Expedition Leader
My suggestion would be that the answer is much more dependent on the wife than the location. The particular one I’ve chosen claims it will “freeze solid” at any temperature below 79.5 degrees and will “die of heat exhaustion” at any temperature above 80.0 degrees. Note that neither of these promises have been fulfilled, despite multiple opportunities. My daughters and I quickly figured out the one thing to leave home in order for everyone to engage in a happier trip... while AC would occasionally be nice, it hasn’t been needed since!
Hilarious

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
If tent, then canvas all the way. Much cooler in the heat and breathes better.

If humid and hot like Texas, FL or other crotchpot cooking places, and she's not a fan of being outside in midday, consider renting/using a small hard sided trailer with AC.

My wife hates AC regardless of where we are...

another_mike

Adventurer
I have a 12 x 15 camping tent and I’m going on a trip with my wife. We were discussing how to deal with high temperatures and I was thinking the tent is spacious enough space and well-ventilated that it would keep us cool all day?

She thinks a portable AC is a good idea. What do you guys think?
I see you’re also in South Florida. What was the heat index today? Like 105? Even at midnight tonight it will be in the low 80s with 80% humidity. I can’t sleep in this crap without ac, even with a fan, and I work outside...

lisa254

Last year Septemeber, we went to Bayou with my husband. The temps at the time were in the low to 90s with lots of humidity. The tent we had was a 12'x10',7' and the upper panels are not meshed. We had also carried the Frigidaire FFRAO511R1 5,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner just for emergency.

So, we put the AC in the door and a 12'x10' tarp on top of the rainfly and duct taped a couple of survival blankets. I had also read somewhere that keeping one of the windows slightly cracked open at the top prevents condensation from forming inside the tent. Honestly, it didn't work as I anticipated, but it still kept temps in the 76-78 degrees range and around 80 during the afternoons.

I'd say that running an air conditioner in a tent works and will definitely keep your tent comfortable. It depends on where you'll be camping and a few other factors, but it works.

another_mike

Adventurer
Last year Septemeber, we went to Bayou with my husband. The temps at the time were in the low to 90s with lots of humidity. The tent we had was a 12'x10',7' and the upper panels are not meshed. We had also carried the Frigidaire FFRAO511R1 5,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner just for emergency.

So, we put the AC in the door and a 12'x10' tarp on top of the rainfly and duct taped a couple of survival blankets. I had also read somewhere that keeping one of the windows slightly cracked open at the top prevents condensation from forming inside the tent. Honestly, it didn't work as I anticipated, but it still kept temps in the 76-78 degrees range and around 80 during the afternoons.

I'd say that running an air conditioner in a tent works and will definitely keep your tent comfortable. It depends on where you'll be camping and a few other factors, but it works.
Cracking a window likely worked against you. Condensation forms on the warm side. Think of an ice cold glass of water on a hot day, water forms on the outside. An air conditioner is also a dehumidifier, taking water out of the air.

In cold temperatures? yea, crack the window, your hot breathe will condense on the inside of the tent. Cracking the window helps remove that humid air.

shade

Take her to a Motel !!
Yep. If faced with a stated need for AC, it doesn't sound like a good way to start a camping trip. Better to do something you both like than compromise to the point of misery for all parties.

If she likes camping, but doesn't like the heat, pick a cooler season for where you want to go, or a better location for the summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles