Full-Time Couple in a Short Bus

zelseman

Observer
Awesome looking trip so far. I have been talking the skoolie up to my fancee, and she is starting to get on board with the idea. One more thread I can show her to get her hooked!
My wife LOVES our skoolie. Not enough to let me 4x4 swap it, but she has a point, it has never gotten stuck or not gotten us to a destination. Alaska will be the test in a year or so. Send her over to www.okienomads.com, we have a ton of stuff up there. Good luck on getting her on board, we wouldn't change a thing about moving out of our house and living in this thing!

jonb8

Adventurer
I'm still in the build process but I bought a larger bus and plan to full time in it after the son is out of college... We will keep the bus on the road and flat tow the jeep to explore in..

zelseman

Observer
I'm still in the build process but I bought a larger bus and plan to full time in it after the son is out of college... We will keep the bus on the road and flat tow the jeep to explore in..

View attachment 503148
I love it! I think the perfect size is somewhere between yours and ours. What engine/trans combo did you go with?

rho

Lost again
Was this directed at us? If so, that wasn’t our bus. At least unless my father in law is joy riding around the west coast. It’s supposed to be in his yard in oklahoma.

Huh, maybe not then.... It did look an awful lot like yours... Although I suppose it could have been someone else with similar ideas about it. I wish I could have snagged a pic of it, oh well!

zelseman

Observer
There are a couple running around that have a similar paint color, mostly because it is super cheap on Amazon...battleship grey!
This is what ours looks like currently, we removed all of the skoolie lettering and numbers except the 12 on the front and it will likely go away sometime this year.

IMG_4051.jpg

zelseman

Observer
I am never going to be able to keep this thread updated from our last year on the road, so here are some highlights.
DJI_0050.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

DJI_0089.jpg

We spent April-October 2018 traveling all over the Western US seeing 15-16 states, tons of National Parks and sooooo much free camping! We have plans to visit all 50 states in 3 years and see if our little bus can make it to the Dempster HWY in 2020.

Last edited:

zelseman

Observer
We have spent the bulk of the Winter and spring in Mexico housesitting and running around Baja in our 4Runner. The bus got a much needed rest and we got to realize how much we really enjoy traveling and living in our skoolie.

IMG_9179.jpg

IMG_9652.jpg

BAJA9777.jpg

We traveled back to the states to switch out vehicles and to work a bit before heading north. We traveled to South Dakota for another house-sitting gig and had some interesting travel conditions.

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_8254.jpg

It's hard to believe that Colorado is still getting snow in June, we even put off a trip to Rocky Mountain National Park due to the road being closed. We made it to SD and we are super fortunate to be housesitting for a family member with a wood-shop and garage!

IMG_3127.jpg

The first item on the list was to replace our worn out shocks front and rear. From what I could tell, these were the original shocks from the factory. Both sets were easy to compress with my hands and once compressed, there was no rebound. I replaced the rears with Bilstein 4600's and KYB's in the front. Installation was super easy and it seems like the bus sits just a bit higher after the fact.

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0585-2.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet as there is more work to do on the bus, but the build quality looks great and I am really excited for new shocks! Also, we added some branding to the side windows and the back window.

IMG_0618.jpg

zelseman

Observer
Apologies for the lack of updates. In South Dakota, we made some changes to the interior of the bus and added a Camp Chef oven...GAME CHANGER.
IMG_0001-scaled.jpeg

IMG_0077-scaled.jpeg

We ran around South Dakota for a month or so while hanging out with family and finishing up the bus and we are excited to plan another trip to the Black Hills soon.

Cave tour at Wind Cave NP
IMG_8629.jpg

Crazy Horse Memorial for the Volksmarch

IMG_8330.jpg

IMG_8311.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg

We left SD after the 4th of July and took off across the plains.
We are really learning to love working from campgrounds like at the headwaters of the Mississippi at Itasca State Park.

IMG_8717.jpg

Boondocking on the Mississippi River.
DJI_0005.jpg

Green Mountains in Vermont
IMG_8931.jpg

Forest Service Campground in New York
IMG_8858.jpg

Somewhere in the Adirondacks
IMG_8874.jpg

State land in Eastern Maine
IMG_9545.jpg

Lighthouse camping on Prince Edward Island
IMG_9429.jpg

Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia
IMG_9409.jpg

After visiting with family in NS, we buzzed back down into the US and followed the EAST coast and did mostly city touring. We visited Philly, Boston, and took off for more wild spaces.

National Forest camping in Red River Gorge, KY
IMG_9919.jpg

Water crossing in the New River Gorge area
IMG_0023.jpg

We made it to Arrington, VA for Overland Expo EAST and put in a couple of weeks of work before flying home for a couple of weeks.
IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_3933.jpg

zelseman

Observer
We flew back to Oklahoma as a family friend had some Grand Canyon permits for backpacking, plus it was good to visit family and friends.

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

We returned to our bus in Virginia and took off for the coast and the Outer Banks.
IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

Paddling outside of Charleston, SC
IMG_1407.jpg

More Charleston
Angeltree-2.jpg

Cemetery exploring in Savannah, GA
ZachElseman-0930-1.jpg

Florida exploring
IMG_0951.jpg

Boondocking on Mobile Bay, AL
IMG_4252.jpg