Vehicle Portable Battery Options for Keeping a Dometic CFX 40 Refrigerator Charged

Plan B

I checked all through the FAQ's to find an answer for what I am trying to accomplish regarding battery back-up solutions. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
While on trips, I would like a portable battery system to keep my Dometic CFX refrigerator charged when it's not plugged into my truck with the truck running. I would like the system to be easily swapped from my Tacoma to my LX100 Series. I'm also open to a portable solar panel to be used in conjunction with the battery.
I'm simply trying to keep the fridge running when the truck is not, and without having to purchase two separate dual battery systems for each vehicle. I looked at the Goal Zero options (very pricey) and the REI folks couldn't steer to a model that would keep the fridge charge for a day or two.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I made this battery box a few years ago now. For exactly the reason you mentioned. I can move it from car to car. I will put a smaller lithium inside soon.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/my-homemade-battery-box.146891/

john61ct

Adventurer
IS there a recommended controller that would work with both the house and starter battery connection and also for solar input? Could he use some quick connects and just move the battery, controller, frig and solar panel from vehicle to vehicle?
What precisely do you mean by "controller" here?

IMO that term is properly used in the phrase "solar controller".

Yes quick connects can help one transfer these various components from one vehicle to another.

But a battery properly sized to handle 3-4 days of reliably running a fridge in very hot weather is going to be very heavy on its own in lead. LFP is about half the weight and size, but I would still keep the batt box separate from the fridge.

Any charge regulator device, like a solar controller, mains charger or DCDC converter / charger, should be installed very close to the bank.

And of course panels are separate again.

nixid

Observer
Is there a recommended control system? B2B with integrated solar. e.g. CTEK or REDARC vs. seperate B2B and separate solar controller.

john61ct

Adventurer
Is there a recommended control system? B2B with integrated solar. e.g. CTEK or REDARC vs. seperate B2B and separate solar controller.
I believe in avoiding multi-function, getting best of breed for each function, each component sized to suit your needs.

Others with simpler needs may prefer the "easier" path.

Some base their preferences on patriotism, supporting brands from certain countries.

My current reco for many wrt SCs is Victron, for mains chargers Sterling's ProCharge Ultra and for DCDC / B2B I like their Pro Batt Ultra BB series.

User-custom charge profile setpoints are very important to me.

rajacat

I bought one of these under a different label. Seems like a quality unit to me. Two of them with their own 100W solar panels would be plenty of power for my setup. I need to test it more to determine if one will be adequate. I haven't used mine much yet but I tested it overnight powering my 54 qt. refrigerator and was depleted approx. 60% @~30F.
It has numerous connection options that really simplify electrical system installation. It also includes a 300W pure sine wave inverter.
I plan to completely isolate my house system from the truck's starting system. This avoids all the wiring issues like isolators, fuse panels, heavy wire to engine compartment, etc., etc. Also its only 12 lb. so you could easily carry it and a solar panel to a sunny spot to charge if you rig doesn't happen to be in the ideal spot for charging. Use it with USB lights with built in batteries and you have a very efficient system. Built in MPPT charger so solar setup is a breeze. Tradition batteries might be cheaper but all the extras to setup adds a lot to the cost. They're also very heavy. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-4...m=173843481829&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Hawairish

Observer
I built something similar to this for an upcoming road trip: https://roofnest.com/diy-portable-camping-battery/
Main objective is for the fridge to run overnight, and for the car to charge the battery while driving during the day.

It's not much more than a battery box, battery, cheap solar charge controller, fuses, and receptacles. I think I'm in about $130. Battery is a Harbor Freight 35Ah deep-cycle U1 size, ran about $61 after coupon, and was the most expensive item. Everything else in the $8-$13 range per item/set.

E8-F675-EB-03-B8-4856-807-D-F26-ACE2-FC1-A2.jpg

B11-E6556-F820-484-E-B85-E-C1443-BB22292.jpg

Compared to a Group 24 box:

B4-A70633-CB6-B-41-A5-8-C14-131-E61-E5-FCEF.jpg

Went with remote box approach due to limitations mounting everything to the lid. The Group 24 box was too big for my needs.

978-AEE24-4-FC5-4686-85-A1-73-CA59092-F00.jpg

A68-E6922-941-D-4-FD3-B1-FF-396-E8-B37-DE9-D.jpg

The controller doesn't know/care if it's "car" DC or "solar" DC, so it worked fine.

6-F41-BC67-907-A-41-E2-BA7-C-1-DCEF78289-AC.jpg

91673287-2766-4-FBD-98-D9-FC3-FF999-FF5-A.jpg

941-A8913-AF2-E-4-A70-9-A28-85-E1-A7-E794-C4.jpg

A full battery (13.2v) run my fridge for about 16 hrs on high setting (5A compressor draw, when running) at 32° while at room temps, shutting down at the fridge's adjustable under-voltage setting (11.7v); fridge supports a lower under-voltage setting and an Eco mode so potential runtime a bit longer. When the car is running (13.7v) it powers the fridge and charges up the battery, without interrupted power when the car is shut off.

bjornb

What product/do you have a link to the smaller remote box? (the one where you mounted the solar controller).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier