Old Junk vs. New Junk?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
That Colorado had to be hauling some serious ******** with that trailer in order to bend that frame like that. It reminds me of the first Gen Raptors when they were buckling at the rear of the cab. Guys would bomb along a whoop section and the back end would buck and bend the frame enough to have the bed touching the rear of the cab, this wasn't covered under warranty either.

vargsmetal

I read in a Facebook post (so take it with a grain of salt) that the Colorado guy was doing 40mph and hit a 3ft whoop and the trailer was at or near its 3500lb axle limit. I don't blame the truck in that case. There is a lot of strength in that frame, not modern 3/4 or even 1/2 ton strong, but plenty strong enough for a midsize used responsibly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

vargsmetal

I'm sure with research there will be plenty of warranty problems from all the makes. Fact is, dealerships and corporate do not want to approve warranty claims. If you find a good dealership that works for you to get problems resolved they're worth your business everytime you go to buy something new.

barrelroll

Haha, wow this thread derailed quickly. I still haven't decided what to do, the parts to at least get the current truck sellable are on order and the plan is to burn my only day off on this nice 90 degree Saturday to work on it.

With my new car I haven't had warranty denial issues though I did deal with a pain in the butt dealer that just didn't have their crap together. I went to the dealer I bought it from for the second round and had 0 issues. The nice thing is there's 5 of every flavor dealer within half an hour so if you have issues with one pick another. We had a lifted JK that was obviously wheeled and had 0 issues getting a radiator replaced.

If I destroy a new 3/4 ton truck then there will be lots of others with the same issue. I'm only pulling maybe 7,500 lbs and the dirt road abuse will be nothing compared to what the oilfield guys put them through. Most likely it will stay stock for a while and not see much more than a graded road.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I read in a Facebook post (so take it with a grain of salt) that the Colorado guy was doing 40mph and hit a 3ft whoop and the trailer was at or near its 3500lb axle limit. I don't blame the truck in that case. There is a lot of strength in that frame, not modern 3/4 or even 1/2 ton strong, but plenty strong enough for a midsize used responsibly.

The guys post said the trailer was at 2100 lbs, not 3500.

RoverFan

I often counsel people to go with lightly used, 1-2 owner vehicles over a payment. However, truck prices (and equipment) have ballooned so much that (as OP found) lightly used trucks are not much less than new ones. Lower interest rates and factory warranties push the needle toward new here. I love old trucks that remind me of the 80s/90s/early 2000s rigs my dad had.

That said, it gets old hunting in and out of OD with a 4-speed auto. Newer trucks are sporting twice the gears and able to run low axle ratios, make tons of usable power, and deliver good fuel economy. Without getting into the diesel/gas debate, a diesel will have a much better resale value down the road. Plenty of 3/4+ ton buyers wont even consider gasser on the used market, regardless of how good Ford's is. Gas engines are also generally easier to work on, but if you are not wrenching on it that might not be a factor. The electronics found in modern cowboy cadillacs scare a lot of people, but any newer-generation vehicle has a huge network of computers. Might as well have a bumper to bumper that gives some peace of mind.

Bottom line: if the vehicle is just being used to tow on pavement and dirt roads, and the real off-road work is left to a Jeep, I do not see any need to modify the truck. Newer trucks have grown so cartoonishly large that I would not want to be piloting one a trail anyway.

barrelroll

Without getting into the diesel/gas debate, a diesel will have a much better resale value down the road. Plenty of 3/4+ ton buyers wont even consider gasser on the used market, regardless of how good Ford's is. Gas engines are also generally easier to work on, but if you are not wrenching on it that might not be a factor. The electronics found in modern cowboy cadillacs scare a lot of people, but any newer-generation vehicle has a huge network of computers. Might as well have a bumper to bumper that gives some peace of mind.

We might give diesel a thought but driving 3 miles sitting for 12 hours and driving home is hard on them, I could drive it 50 miles each way once a week to work if we aren't using it for truck duty to get it up to temp. The incentives look much better on a diesel and "dealer advertised prices" have the left over 2018 diesel rams within $1000 of a 2019 gasser, another GM dealer has huge discounts on 2019 diesels right now putting them in the same neighborhood of most gassers. We might take one for a ride, I'm thinking it might be more fun to drive than the current generation of gassers.

billiebob

I'm pretty firm in the old junk category. I don't like the payments/high insurance/taxes that go with owning a newer vehicle and I like working on my truck. I overland a 1990 Chevy, and it has never left me on the side of the road. Its loud, theres no AC (yet), but its comfortable and goes where I need it to go. It gets me home at 75mph on the highway getting better fuel economy than the equivalent Tacoma. Yes, I've spent a lot of time working on it but that's because I like the work. I could pay a shop to do everything on it and still come out cheaper than a new truck. It's not pretty but I'm not in it for the 'gram.

The trick with maintenance items is to see them before they become real problems. Waiting until you have $2500 worth of unrelated repairs to make is not the way to maintain any vehicle, especially one that is used for towing, long distance travel, or offroad.

634576699a659afbd17aa738cb56d719.jpg

Same. I tracked all the costs on my '87 YJ which I owned for 15 years. Bought it for $4500.00. Sold it for $3500.00. Adding up ALL my expenses, which included a new engine, 3 sets of tires, new seats. I spent $1000.00 a year. It was my daily driver most years. I put on almost 200K miles. It never left me stranded. Exactly right, fix the problems as they show up. It got better milage with a carburetor than my fuel injected TJ gets.

jonathon

I’ve had two newer vehicles recently - 2014 Tacoma and a 2017 4Runner. Loved them but having a kid and buying a house the priorities changed a lot, especially working my old job. Sold the T4R and don’t miss the payment or gas mileage which was 13-14 once you added LT tires and road tripping gear. We covered a lot of ground in these rigs in the western states.

Now I’m rocking a 1988 Chevy K2500 and it’s the icky 7200 GVWR model with the 700R4. First year GMT400 so cup holders were not even an option but hey it’s an extended cab. AC is 2 windows and 55 mph. I’ve put about $1500 and 40ish hours of my own time into it in maintenance and repairs and it’s been a great truck in the year I’ve owned it. I can fill the bed up and still get 14 on the highway and compare to my Toyota’s the 34 gallon fuel tank is nice. I miss amenities but right now we don’t travel far from home as 2 hours is my little ones max. While I’m capable with a wrench I don’t like traveling long distance in the old junk with the family.

That said I’m setting into a new job and if things continue next year I’ll be buying new brand new Ram 2500 with the 6.4. We want to start traveling longer distances and the peace of mind that comes with new rig is hard to beat.

vargsmetal

I’ve had two newer vehicles recently - 2014 Tacoma and a 2017 4Runner. Loved them but having a kid and buying a house the priorities changed a lot, especially working my old job. Sold the T4R and don’t miss the payment or gas mileage which was 13-14 once you added LT tires and road tripping gear. We covered a lot of ground in these rigs in the western states.

Now I’m rocking a 1988 Chevy K2500 and it’s the icky 7200 GVWR model with the 700R4. First year GMT400 so cup holders were not even an option but hey it’s an extended cab. AC is 2 windows and 55 mph. I’ve put about $1500 and 40ish hours of my own time into it in maintenance and repairs and it’s been a great truck in the year I’ve owned it. I can fill the bed up and still get 14 on the highway and compare to my Toyota’s the 34 gallon fuel tank is nice. I miss amenities but right now we don’t travel far from home as 2 hours is my little ones max. While I’m capable with a wrench I don’t like traveling long distance in the old junk with the family.

That said I’m setting into a new job and if things continue next year I’ll be buying new brand new Ram 2500 with the 6.4. We want to start traveling longer distances and the peace of mind that comes with new rig is hard to beat.
Sounds like a nice truck. I'd like to see pics. The 7200gvw K2500 is basically the same as my F44 K1500, besides the rear spring pack from the factory. If you have a bench seat you can get the bolt on dual cupholder from many 88-94 trucks. If you have buckets just a make a new center console. Mine has buckets and the old center console sucks, nothing but standard cans fit in the holders right. The 700R4 is fine if it hasn't been abused but replacing it with a reman is cheap. If you like the truck upgrading to a 4L80e isn't too hard. As long as the truck is solid I wouldn't hesitate to take it on long trips. Break downs are part of the adventure.

jonathon

Sounds like a nice truck. I'd like to see pics. The 7200gvw K2500 is basically the same as my F44 K1500, besides the rear spring pack from the factory. If you have a bench seat you can get the bolt on dual cupholder from many 88-94 trucks. If you have buckets just a make a new center console. Mine has buckets and the old center console sucks, nothing but standard cans fit in the holders right. The 700R4 is fine if it hasn't been abused but replacing it with a reman is cheap. If you like the truck upgrading to a 4L80e isn't too hard. As long as the truck is solid I wouldn't hesitate to take it on long trips. Break downs are part of the adventure.

Here’s my beast:

8ed2dL6.jpg

This is from a local day trip - 60 miles of USFS roads, half of which would qualify as a trail.

It’s a good truck and I plan to keep it regardless. No rust, chassis has 215k on right now. Engine was replaced in 1998 by a GM dealer with a crate L05 and only has 115k on it right now. The trans was rebuilt at 154k and seems fine. I just sent an oil sample off to Blackstone and the results may dictate which direction I go, which is LS swap vs heads, cam, exhaust, and tune. If I do swap it I’ll probably stay with a 4L60E as this truck will never tow and the low 1st is nice.

barrelroll

Update time

We've decided to keep the old junk for a while. After driving all the new trucks we just couldn't justify they were worth $50k or more. We currently have a 2019 3.5 ecoboost F150 with heated cloth seats loaner from the dealer because the daily driver focus is in for the 4th time trying to get an electrical issue fixed. Out of all the trucks we test drove all were gas trucks including F250 XL and XLT, Chevy 2500 HD WT, Base model GMC 2500, Ram 2500 with vinyl seats, had a 2019 2wd 1500 5.7 hemi with cloth seats/ mid trim package loaner, 2018 2.7L F150 loaner and the 3.5 ecoboost F150 is our favorite. It stickers at $57k and it's just mind boggling how darn expensive it is, $40k maybe but $57k for a half ton truck without leather or a sun roof is crazy.

One of my buddies quit his day job and started a shop so we dropped off the current truck for trans and oil cooler lines, trans filters, brakes all the way around, a muffler, and front axle seals. He does great work and we are both on board with just dropping it off with him when it needs work from now on. It worked out great and I wasn't swearing in the driveway all weekend and it's fixed for a reasonable price by someone we trust. Ended up putting new wheels and tires on it and there's a set of Bilstein 5100's, a light bar and some baja designs lights sitting in the spare bedroom waiting to go on. We are towing the jeep to baja the end of the month with it.

We'll see how long we end up keeping it but after dumping around $3k in it hopefully it's a while. Even if we are dumping $3,000-$4,000 a year in it that's less than payments on a used truck with 100k on it.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Update time
2018 2.7L F150 loaner and the 3.5 ecoboost F150 is our favorite. It stickers at $57k and it's just mind boggling how darn expensive it is, $40k maybe but $57k for a half ton truck without leather or a sun roof is crazy.

You know NOBODY is paying $57k for that truck, right? That $57k "list price" is before they start adding in all the incentives, discounts, etc.

When I was shopping in August I had dealers left and right wanting to sell me a 2019 with all the options I wanted (SCREW, 3.5 EB/10 speed, 36 gallon tank, rear locker, tow package, and heated seats) for maybe $44k max.

I thought even THAT was too high so I shopped around and found a used 2018 with everything I wanted with 17,000 miles for under $35k. Less than a month later a buddy of mine bought pretty much the same truck in blue from the same dealer (Kenton Cars in American Fork, UT) for just over 35k except his truck only has 12,000 miles on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94