Autonomous4X4
As seen on facebook

Image may contain: car and outdoor
No photo description available.
Collin K Woolsey
23 hrs
A friend of mines Chevy Colorado with 10k miles was towing a 2100# camp trailer on a dirt road and hit a bump. This is the result. GM sent out an “investigator” 6 weeks later and has denied any warranty claims. They state the “the truck has 1” taller tires as the first reason. The second reason is the trailer is 2100 pounds, in the owners manual it states that trailers over 2k pound should have brakes. (Towing capacity listed as 5k) Since hit trailer is 100 pounds overweight and doesn’t have brakes that’s what the frame bent. No other damage to truck.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
At least the air bags did not blow!

Nice "Hydro-Formed" frame on that Colorado!

This type of vehicle "Articulation" cannot be good.

My sincere condolences to the owner of this truck.

Fight em all you can!

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Don't forget the Zr2 air bag debacle. Posted here, and on the GM forums. How long did that take for them to fess up? Almost a year? More than a year? Great service there. Did owners have to continue making payments while their truck sat in the lot?
Reminds me of a thread I read here where the owner buckled the frame on his ZR2 towing a little trailer. Gm denied warranty.

Edit: I guess I should read the whole thread before replying.....

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Nope. That one's news to me!

Big giant hole in the frame where it turns, and the shock mounts? Sounds like great engineering to me.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
As seen on facebook

Collin K Woolsey
23 hrs
A friend of mines Chevy Colorado with 10k miles was towing a 2100# camp trailer on a dirt road and hit a bump. This is the result. GM sent out an “investigator” 6 weeks later and has denied any warranty claims. They state the “the truck has 1” taller tires as the first reason. The second reason is the trailer is 2100 pounds, in the owners manual it states that trailers over 2k pound should have brakes. (Towing capacity listed as 5k) Since hit trailer is 100 pounds overweight and doesn’t have brakes that’s what the frame bent. No other damage to truck.

That boxed frame though.

shade

If they don't care about an old ladies car, and a car that they still own, there's no way I can get warranty work on a modified truck.
Don't be so hard on yourself.
You carry your years well.

For all the faults of other makes, I'm still not interested in domestic cars or mid-sized trucks.

shade

A friend of mines Chevy Colorado with 10k miles was towing a 2100# camp trailer on a dirt road and hit a bump. This is the result.
That better be one hell of a bump. Looks like damage from a rear end collision, which kind of fits with the findings.

Still, that's an impressive display of weakness.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I think there’s way more to the story than in the initial description. I’ve also read that he was bombing along at 40 mph and hit a big bump and caught a little air. There’s another picture that shows the trailer’s axles that appear to be bent.

SoTxAg06

As seen on facebook

Collin K Woolsey
23 hrs

691a3558c67e5a79ac27043d41d40de0.jpg

Found a better pic of the trailer it was pulling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
GM won't even warranty tail lights with enough water in them to keep a gold fish thrilled for a year. On a box stock, leased car. That they'll be getting back in 8 months.

GM Arcadia with the entire drivers side door filled with ice? Nope, no warranty there either.

Don't forget the Zr2 air bag debacle. Posted here, and on the GM forums. How long did that take for them to fess up? Almost a year? More than a year? Great service there. Did owners have to continue making payments while their truck sat in the lot?

Complete rip off company with the worst service writers and managers in the entire industry. (Wow, Fiat is off that hook for a while) If they don't care about an old ladies car, and a car that they still own, there's no way I can get warranty work on a modified truck. If you want a fuzzy feel good warranty, don't buy American cars.
Gee I'm sure your attitude didn't have any play in the issues. Good luck you sir.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I wasn't upset with GM before those.

Now they're categorized with congress, lawyers, and crawford county FL.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It might actually an engineered crumple zone.
Could be for tuning the ride, holding in jigs or conveyors in the plant, control distortion when the halves are welded, to get paint inside or access during assembly. Crumple zone makes a lot of sense, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94