Old Junk vs. New Junk?

barrelroll

So your choices are spend a 1000 bucks and a weekend fixing your current ride, or spend 40k on a new truck?

Unless you have 40k burning a hole in your pocket that you have no other use for it, it would seem like a simple choice.

It's time for a new to me truck with 4 real doors. The current truck I've had for 7 years and 90k. The current truck is starting to get into nickel and dime me to death mode, it was great for me 7 years ago but life has changed a bit in that time and I'm ready for a different truck. I've also thought about buying another 10 year old truck with around 100k on it like I did the current 2500HD. We may go drive a couple trucks in that range but I feel like that's a lot more of a gamble on when the little things start having issues. My other issue is I just don't have time, on week days I'm home for 9 1/2 hours and I'd rather spend my weekends having fun instead of working on my own junk after I've worked on junk for 60 hours on the clock. If I worked a normal 40 hour a week job it might be different but it's just the nature of the industry I work in. With my current garage situation the front or rear of a truck will fit in my garage but I can't close the door.

Last night we drove a new extended cab short bed Chevy 2500HD 6.0 cloth seat work truck and a 2017 Ram 2500 SLT Crew Cab short bed with the 5.7 hemi and 29k on it for $32,000. Neither were all that impressive. If we go GM it needs the crew cab, the extended cab is about the same space as the '02 2500HD we have now but overall the cab felt smaller. The ram cab had a lot more room and I think we are going to take a look at new 2018's and 2019's with the 6.4 hemi, the 5.7 was about the same at the GM 6.0. We are also going to take an F250 for a ride. All of the new trucks are pretty similar capability wise so a lot of it's going to boil down to which one the woman likes driving best since it will be her daily driver for the next 3-10 years.

With the Ram we drove last night I can't see going with a 2 year old truck with 29k on it at a no haggle dealer for $32k making sense when new 2018 and 2019 trucks with 6.4's are listed for 33-34k on auto trader (I use it to get an idea where the bottom dollar on a new truck is). You have 2 more years of warranty and aren't inheriting someone else's problem with a new truck. The truck was nice and clean, it was going to need tires by winter, and I didn't really crawl all over it to see what else was wrong because I knew we weren't buying it.

How much room is there usually to negotiate with 2-3 year old used trucks? If you are willing to haggle and travel for the right deal there's some new trucks with advertised prices within $2k of advertised prices of used trucks with 15-75k on them and 2-3 years old. The last new car I bought was a new never titled demo with 1,800 miles on it and I paid 69% of sticker for it out the door with taxes and fees. I don't think I'm going to get that great of a deal with a new truck but I think I can get out the door for 75-80% of sticker on a new truck, less if I can find a demo or 2019 in the fall they want to move. I also have access to some pretty good pricing on Fords, I just haven't figured out how good it is yet.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If you're willing to travel a bit I know Dennis Dillon in Idaho sells brand new Ram 1500 and GMC 1500's for $31 - $33k - I haven't seen anybody in the Denver area offering similar deals. I don't know if there are added fees that push that price up but from what I've seen that's about the best deal around on NEW trucks. A weekend of driving and a couple tanks of gas could save some serious money.

djfriimixx

Although the idea of a fancy new truck with a warranty sounds nice. I just could not justify spending more on a truck than my house. Tbh for 30k I could drive a different old pickup every year for 15 years. And pay nearly nothing for insurance. To each their own I guess

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
If you like stock trucks, buy new. If you want to modify your truck, the dealer gets less friendly when you need warranty repairs. I will not go down that road again.

barrelroll

So we've driven them all we like the Chevy 2500HD work truck the least, the 2019 RAM 2500 tradesman with vinyl seats (feels like leather) and the 8 speed and 6.4 did have more power but it wasn't big block torque, the base model GMC 2500HD actually felt a fair amount nicer on the inside than the Chevy, F250 XL seats were more comfortable than XLT seats. None of them really stood out from the rest as "the truck". I'm having a hard time convincing myself to spend the money vs. investing it so we might keep the old junk. We are still a month or so out from pulling the trigger.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
What warranty?

Unless you go full cowboy and put a .45 to the service writers face, new American trucks have no warranty. If they can't weasel out of the warranty, they can just straight up lie, and make something up.

I saw portable scales at a Fiat dealer last week. I pointed and shrugged a ''what gives'' look to the closest technician.
''Modified jeeps and PW's cross those before warranty work. You'd be startled how many are overweight.''

shade

So we've driven them all we like the Chevy 2500HD work truck the least, the 2019 RAM 2500 tradesman with vinyl seats (feels like leather) and the 8 speed and 6.4 did have more power but it wasn't big block torque, the base model GMC 2500HD actually felt a fair amount nicer on the inside than the Chevy, F250 XL seats were more comfortable than XLT seats. None of them really stood out from the rest as "the truck". I'm having a hard time convincing myself to spend the money vs. investing it so we might keep the old junk. We are still a month or so out from pulling the trigger.

Seems like a lot of money to spend if you aren't sure it's "the truck", especially if you plan to keep it for several years.

What warranty?

Unless you go full cowboy and put a .45 to the service writers face, new American trucks have no warranty. If they can't weasel out of the warranty, they can just straight up lie, and make something up.

I saw portable scales at a Fiat dealer last week. I pointed and shrugged a ''what gives'' look to the closest technician.
''Modified jeeps and PW's cross those before warranty work. You'd be startled how many are overweight.''

I'm not surprised. When I look at some of the pigs being created, I can see how premature wear will develop. Not everyone has figured out that if you cause a problem, you should take care of it.

Last edited:

rho

Lost again
I vote for keeping the old truck if y'all like it. I bought my jeep new, but that was because I knew I was going to beat on it and I wanted the full history. The truck we have has been in my fam from being new and my partner has it now, its awesome and we're planning on keeping it running for a good while longer and turning it into a good weekend escape machine. We're planning on a small or mid-size wagon DD so one of our trucks doesn't have to see daily commute miles.

We also went out looking at fullsize GM's recently, granted just the half tons, but omfg. Most of the 4x4 ones we looked at didn't even have low range transfercases and most of the places in the Bay Area wanted at least 42k for them. That was a tough thing to sort of process at given my got my wrangler 7yrs ago for almost half that. Those alone kept us more in the camp of "yeah, lets keep both trucks".

lilkia

Seems like a lot of money to spend if you aren't sure it's "the truck", especially if you plan to keep it for several years.

I'm not surprised. When I look at some of the pigs being created, I can see how premature wear will develop. Not everyone has figured out that if you cause a problem, you should take care of it.

The problem with that is many dealers are creating these pigs before they ever leave the lot. A friend went through hell getting warranty work on a truck he bought new. They were saying the aftermarket lift and wheel size negated the warranty. The issue was the dealer installed the the lift and wheels before he ever he ever went to the dealer or bought the truck and it was sold with the warranty intact in the paperwork. He had to get an attorney and file in court before they finally honored it.

shade

The problem with that is many dealers are creating these pigs before they ever leave the lot. A friend went through hell getting warranty work on a truck he bought new. They were saying the aftermarket lift and wheel size negated the warranty. The issue was the dealer installed the the lift and wheels before he ever he ever went to the dealer or bought the truck and it was sold with the warranty intact in the paperwork. He had to get an attorney and file in court before they finally honored it.
That would be worth fighting over. Glad he got it worked out.

By "pigs", I was speaking more to the light trucks that are up-armoured against landmines, spin tyres that weigh more than the average man, and carry a bridal suite on the roof.

You know, adventure rigs. : )

vargsmetal

That would be worth fighting over. Glad he got it worked out.

By "pigs", I was speaking more to the light trucks that are up-armoured against landmines, spin tyres that weigh more than the average man, and carry a bridal suite on the roof.

You know, adventure rigs. : )
If we were talking Jeeps or Tacomas I could understand that. Voiding a warranty on a 3/4 or 1 ton because it's got bumpers, skids, and a camper shell or a rack/RTT on it would be insane. I haven't looked up statistics but I imagine pretty much all of the warranty work on a new 3/4-1 ton is not going to be suspension/frame/axle related. It's going to be electronics and electronics don't care if you're over GVW.

While I've dealt with plenty of warranty problems on newer vehicles I can't say I've ever had a dealership turn me away when it was a legitimate claim. Worst case took a call to corporate. It should be obvious if you show up to the dealership with a Jeep with a ton of junk all over it and 37in tires with stock gearing that they are not going to warranty your transmission.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

shade

If we were talking Jeeps or Tacomas I could understand that.
Are there any others? : )

Yes, I was talking about relatively lightweight vehicles being grossly overweight & overstressed. It can still be done to a 1 ton truck, but not as easily.

60beforetruck

I have a 04 LLY Duramax, 04 2500 suburban with 8.1L ,and a 2016 GM 2500. Duramax is great for pulling and hard to beat an Allison transmission.

As for the gas trucks, 8.1L as you know is a 496 cubic inch motor. No replacement for displacement. There is also not alot of aftermarket if you ever want to do some performance work. I have a Raylor 203 cam and retuned the truck. Getting about 12 mpg currently with a bad exhaust leak I need to fix. Found this truck for $4500 LT trim package loaded. Good truck that needs a few things but nothing that keeps me off the road.

The 2015 is a totally different truck. It is power window power lock vinyl floor and cloth seats. Got it for 32k out the door. This is my daily driver. It does have 4.10 gears which is a big difference if you test drive a 3.73 truck. It does have more driver assist ******** that I do not care for. Grade braking, hill assist start, and stuff like that. It has a warranty and I have not had to use it. Oil change is also about the same price has my 04 Duramax. It is reliable.

I say get a used truck and make it what you want. When I purchased my Duramax it had 30k miles on it I straight axled it at 70k and never looked back.

I would rather spend money to make something the way I want it then to just settle for what I can get. Look at your long term goals and figure what fits you best. Weekend tower and low mileage daily driver. I would get a used truck and make it how I want it. I just got the suburban a month ago after I rolled my Duramax in Moab. I enjoy building trucks and using them. Some people just want to get in and go. Really comes down to personal preference if you ask me.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
What warranty?

Wow. I think that's the most ridiculous thing I've read all week. You rolled up into the dealership I work for and pull a gun on my guys and I'll have you locked up quicker than you think. I'm sure you are being overly dramatic for effect but still it's a bit over the top. I've had many pull in trucks or cars that have been modified. If the reason it's in the shop for isn't caused by the modification I don't deny warranty. It's that simple. But if it is, I'll provide an explanation and give you a price to fix it.

Just as example we had a fully lifted '19 Silverado get towed in a couple of weeks ago. Lift and 35" tires installed by another dealer calling it the "black widow" RST Silverado. The sales staff was so slick they made the poor dude think it was a factory package with a warranty an all. Having seen these trucks I knew better. Most of these dealers that have lifts installed usually sell them with a supplemental warranty that will take over where the OEM warranty is nullified by the modifications. But to the buyer, he thought it was a factory system with a factory warranty. It's shady crap like what they did that gives all the dealers black eyes. I don't agree with it, but it happens for sure.

The reason it got towed in was due to one of the front cv axle shafts pulling apart at the inner joint due to overextending. As usual the lesser IFS kits drop the lower control arm mounts for the lift and leave the axle assembly in a stock location putting the cv axles at a far greater working angle than stock. Add in a little extra droop and pop goes the inner plunge joint. I explained it wasn't covered under the factory warranty due to the suspension lift and he argued it was a factory system so it should. Then he let it be known I need to call the warranty company his selling dealer told him to call. I explained again how was that a GM warranty if he was to call another company? He got it at that point. I advised based on previous dealings with the warranty company I wouldn't deal with them and suggested to take it back to his selling dealer. Which he did.

Take the dealer installed lift bs out of the equation. If it was a lift a person had installed, power adder or other modification would GM or any other manufacturer be responsible for repairs if the modifications caused it? No way. No OEM is going to foot the bill for damage or failures in direct result of the modifications. It's very clear. Calling the poor SOB's that have to administer the warranty policy and procedures snakes, weasels or anything else is utter BS. You modify it, you own it. Plain and simple. You got a problem with how a dealer deals with warranty policy on something that isn't modified, call the manufacturer or go to another dealer.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
GM won't even warranty tail lights with enough water in them to keep a gold fish thrilled for a year. On a box stock, leased car. That they'll be getting back in 8 months.

GM Arcadia with the entire drivers side door filled with ice? Nope, no warranty there either.

Don't forget the Zr2 air bag debacle. Posted here, and on the GM forums. How long did that take for them to fess up? Almost a year? More than a year? Great service there. Did owners have to continue making payments while their truck sat in the lot?

Complete rip off company with the worst service writers and managers in the entire industry. (Wow, Fiat is off that hook for a while) If they don't care about an old ladies car, and a car that they still own, there's no way I can get warranty work on a modified truck. If you want a fuzzy feel good warranty, don't buy American cars.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online