Old Junk vs. New Junk?

shade

Reading forums threads with people asking if driving around in 4WD high for a week until they hear a bang makes me think I should be thinking about new if I ever buy another truck.

"I confused the 4WD knob for the climate fan knob."
There's no doubt in my mind that this man has owned a Tacoma.

vargsmetal

I'm pretty firm in the old junk category. I don't like the payments/high insurance/taxes that go with owning a newer vehicle and I like working on my truck. I overland a 1990 Chevy, and it has never left me on the side of the road. Its loud, theres no AC (yet), but its comfortable and goes where I need it to go. It gets me home at 75mph on the highway getting better fuel economy than the equivalent Tacoma. Yes, I've spent a lot of time working on it but that's because I like the work. I could pay a shop to do everything on it and still come out cheaper than a new truck. It's not pretty but I'm not in it for the 'gram.

The trick with maintenance items is to see them before they become real problems. Waiting until you have $2500 worth of unrelated repairs to make is not the way to maintain any vehicle, especially one that is used for towing, long distance travel, or offroad.

634576699a659afbd17aa738cb56d719.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bigdogyj

I’ve had new and used trucks a plenty. Honestly. If you find a used truck well cared for and the previous owner respected it and maintained it not just Jerry rigged it than I’d jump on it. I recently bought a 14 year old Yukon xl 2500 (2004) with the 8.1 with the intention of swapping a Duramax. The truck has nearly 200k on it but looked like it might have had 60k. The previous owner meticulously maintained it and it shows.
I’ve seen countless newer trucks 11-15 beat to hell and run and look so much worse than my old truck. repairs might be a slightly more often occurrence with an older rig but maintenance should be the same no matter why the age of the trucks is. Maintenance is maintenance. Lack of maintenance forces more repairs later on down the road. I’d prefer a used but well cared for truck even over a new one. Cost of the vehicle is one thing but the other associated costs (insurance, tax, registration) just add up. Keep in mind I’m in California where pickups just cost more to own then an SUV. All pickups are treated commercial so registration is through the roof. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

djfriimixx

I'm pretty firm in the old junk category. I don't like the payments/high insurance/taxes that go with owning a newer vehicle and I like working on my truck. I overland a 1990 Chevy, and it has never left me on the side of the road. Its loud, theres no AC (yet), but its comfortable and goes where I need it to go. It gets me home at 75mph on the highway getting better fuel economy than the equivalent Tacoma. Yes, I've spent a lot of time working on it but that's because I like the work. I could pay a shop to do everything on it and still come out cheaper than a new truck. It's not pretty but I'm not in it for the 'gram.

The trick with maintenance items is to see them before they become real problems. Waiting until you have $2500 worth of unrelated repairs to make is not the way to maintain any vehicle, especially one that is used for towing, long distance travel, or offroad.
634576699a659afbd17aa738cb56d719.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Hard to beat a gmt400
0d6b1c0530febc248b802cca83b96829.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

gopherslayer

I have both. 2006 Yukon XL 2500 and 2011 Silverado 2500 CC. I like both a lot. Neither of my 6.0s are dogs like you hear about on the web. I really like the transmission programming on the 2011. Pulling my 8k camper is no problem here in the ridge and valley region of WI.

For grins last night I was searching Craigslist Denver area. There’s a 2011 Yukon XL 2500 for sale with I think 70k miles on it. A dealer has it. Not sure if you’re willing to travel but it might be worth a look.

CCH

Adventurer
Shop. You can split the difference with a truck that’s a few years old, especially if it’s a gasser. Came very close to buying a new (at the time) 2017 Chevy 2500. Found someone’s pretty unused 2013 toy with 42,000 miles for just about $18,000 less. That was without going outside a relatively small population area.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
My 2¢

I've had four trucks in my life (plus the Power Wagon) and I got rid of them because I was tired of fixing them. Sounds like you're at that point now.

I prefer 1 -3 year old models with low milage and spend a long time looking for the right deal (6 months or more). You crunch the numbers and do what you think best.

Newer trucks are more expensive to fix and there is less things you can do yourself, with all the black box electronics controlling everything.

ClovisMan

Observer
I went and looked at new trucks and they are insanely expensive these days. The new GMC 3/4 2500s are almost as much as the first house I bought in 2000. Im on the hunt for a 2006/2007 Duramax Crew Cab with 200k or less now. I will gladly spend up to 20k on an older diesel and not have to worry about DPF filters and DEF.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
My 2¢

I've had four trucks in my life (plus the Power Wagon) and I got rid of them because I was tired of fixing them. Sounds like you're at that point now.

I prefer 1 -3 year old models with low milage and spend a long time looking for the right deal (6 months or more). You crunch the numbers and do what you think best.

Newer trucks are more expensive to fix and there is less things you can do yourself, with all the black box electronics controlling everything.

JaSAn,

Best response I've seen here yet. It's not necessarily about the price of the truck or payments but rather whats your 5 or 10 year plan. Run the numbers and see whats is better for you. Old truck thats cheap but will take time to maintain and fix or a newer truck that's still under factory warranty but 1/2 the price of a brand new one.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I just want my olde junk, to be mine. That I bought new. I'll keep it as long as I can. Take care of it, so there isn't a pile of repairs when it's old.

I just hate fixing other peoples used vehicles, and then freaky weird failures reoccur. Like the ear on the axle being cattywompus on a used
f250. I rebuilt those brakes twice, way too early because of that.

offthepath

Adventurer
So your choices are spend a 1000 bucks and a weekend fixing your current ride, or spend 40k on a new truck?

Unless you have 40k burning a hole in your pocket that you have no other use for it, it would seem like a simple choice.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Until you're spending $1000 every month, and $2000 per year on body work.

Then the new truck starts to look better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles