Looking for suggestions for 270 awning. Bunduawn?

shade

Why do so few of these designs pay attention to those of us living with blackflies?
I'm more interested in adding screen to an awning than full walls, and I think that would be an easier task than full walls since there's little wind load.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Great article comparing 5 of the top 270 degree awnings in the new just released issue of Overland Journal.

ALU-CAP "Shadow Awn" was the #1 "Editor's Choice" Pick of the 5.

Worth a look and read if are looking for an awning!

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Just got back from a trip and one of my buddies had the Rhino 270 awning with the zipper-on/off walls. Zipper on/off walls made attaching/detaching, even in a wind, easy-peasy and quick. Wouldn't want velcro in this application but it befuddles me why so many awning mfgs use it for this application. Definitely a deal breaker for me.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Why do so few of these designs pay attention to those of us living with blackflies?
I share your curiousity! When I purchased my Alu Cab Shadow, I didn't look real close at the back or vehicle side of the wall kit and just assumed there was a back wall. Why else would there be screens in the windows??!! :unsure: I asked Rin at OK4WD why there were screens and he checked with Alu Cab. Their lame answer after several months waiting was, it helps keep the structure of the walls intact. ? Also, their reason for no back wall was that there are too many variables of rig doors & tailgates to provide generic access openings in the back wall. :rolleyes: Anyway, needless to say, there is very little pest protection provided by my Alu Cab wall kit with no back wall and it would be the same with any brand that doesn't provide a back wall, as many potential customers have noticed. The only 270* awning wall kit that I've seen with a back wall is the Foxwing. But it just doesn't compare for strength in the wind.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Just got back from a trip and one of my buddies had the Rhino 270 awning with the zipper-on/off walls. Zipper on/off walls made attaching/detaching, even in a wind, easy-peasy and quick. Wouldn't want velcro in this application but it befuddles me why so many awning mfgs use it for this application. Definitely a deal breaker for me.
Yeah, my Alu Cab walls attach to the awning with velcro, but the different sections of walls zipper together in the corners - at the poles. That plus the velcro loops provided to secure the walls to the poles make for a stout setup - provided that your awning poles are secured with the tie downs and well staked. I'm wondering, though, about the longevity of velcro with the exposure to everyday camping dirt and grime. I was reading in another thread here on EP about a JB RTT that used velcro to secure the bottom of the access door. It wouldn't stay shut in a windy rain storm and allowed some water intrusion. But, over time zippers can break and need to be cleaned and lubed periodically or they will fail. I'd like to read an in depth study comparing zippers to velcro - it would be interesting.

Photobug

Yeah, my Alu Cab walls attach to the awning with velcro, but the different sections of walls zipper together in the corners - at the poles. That plus the velcro loops provided to secure the walls to the poles make for a stout setup - provided that your awning poles are secured with the tie downs and well staked. I'm wondering, though, about the longevity of velcro with the exposure to everyday camping dirt and grime. I was reading in another thread here on EP about a JB RTT that used velcro to secure the bottom of the access door. It wouldn't stay shut in a windy rain storm and allowed some water intrusion. But, over time zippers can break and need to be cleaned and lubed periodically or they will fail. I'd like to read an in depth study comparing zippers to velcro - it would be interesting.

My concern with velcro is it is fiddly. Heavy duty velcro like that can be strong. If you don't line it up correctly the parts will catch and stick misaligned. I think it would be easier and more secure to have zippers in windy conditions. All the stats of awnings being good to 40 mph is kind of moot to me. If it is blowing that hard or forecasted to storm at night I would be sleeping in the back of the truck or reading in my cab or preferably at home. I would not want to risk my $1000+ awning testing its max capacity for wind.

Last edited:

Photobug

I remember when I lived in blackfly country they are nasty. Are they like mosquitoes where they will find any opening? Or do they swarm up against netting? For the way mosquitoes seak me out I don't think an awning and walls would protect me unless I blocked all the openings which would mean the area up against the truck and under the truck. It would be possible but require a custom build.

carbon60

Explorer
I remember when I lived in blackfly country they are nasty. Are they like mosquitoes where they will find any opening? Or do they swarm up against netting? For the way mosquitoes seak me out I don't think an awning and walls would protect me unless I blocked all the openings which would mean the area up against the truck and under the truck. It would be possible but require a custom build.

Yeah, normally, bug shelters are fully screened. Mine has a large zipper I can use to access the side of the vehicle, but I generally just walk to the other side…

A.

Photobug

I went to my truck and used the diagram on the website for Howling Moon. Kind of guestimated the layout and traced the profile on the ground to see how much space I would have under the 6 arm awning. I think my angle towards the front of the truck is off a little, and I will likely have slightly less space than I laid out. Stil it is a lot of space to hang out. Considering it is snowing tonight at my home, an awning with walls is critical in this part of the world.

shade

Howling Moon seems to take waterproofing seriously, and the edge tie-outs may help snow slide off.

I don't like the straps any of these awnings use for storage. I may replace mine with some Sea to Summit straps. No plastic to break, and they work well, even with cold fingers.

Photobug

I'm a little surprised they don't offer it with & without the hatch.

Me too If I was to add a roof top tent I would add a second awning to make a vestibule for the tent. The driver side awning for me will be to add a cooking area under it. and that side of my truck has an opening window that would get in the way of any ladder. It seems like James Baroud makes quality stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles