Looking for suggestions for 270 awning. Bunduawn?

shade

Just received the latest OJ and they reviewed 270º awnings. Alu-Cab got the Editor's Choice and Rhino Rack the Value Award. Darche would have done much better except for the difficulty in using its storage bag.
It should be noted that the recent "Things you may have missed at Overland Expo" article included a favourable mini-review of the Kinsmen Awning, and a wish that it had been included in the OJ roundup.

If Darche models still leak at the seams, that may turn off some buyers.

shade

What's the typical delay between an article being published in OJ and it appearing online? Do all OJ articles make it online?

Photobug

It should be noted that the recent "Things you may have missed at Overland Expo" article included a favourable mini-review of the Kinsmen Awning, and a wish that it had been included in the OJ roundup.

If Darche models still leak at the seams, that may turn off some buyers.

I think Darche and Bundu both have leaking problems. The one review I saw from a guy in Ireland, guessed that a very hot sun is a bigger concern than rain in South Africa.

It appears the Kinsmen and Ostrich are very similar in structure.

shade

I think Darche and Bundu both have leaking problems. The one review I saw from a guy in Ireland, guessed that a very hot sun is a bigger concern than rain in South Africa.

It appears the Kinsmen and Ostrich are very similar in structure.
Iirc, those are the only two I've seen that use a truss arm design. Have you found reviews of the Ostrich?

Photobug

Iirc, those are the only two I've seen that use a truss arm design. Have you found reviews of the Ostrich?
The first I saw of this design was 30-second awning. I believe it is an Ostrich made in Australia. I had trouble finding much info on them, then discovered the Ostrich.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
.................It appears the Kinsmen and Ostrich are very similar in structure.
Not sure if you're aware, but the biggest difference between most, including Ostrich, is the frame of the Kinsmen is steel. Almost all others are aluminum. If the Kinsmen was available when I was looking, I'd have went with it over my Alu Cab. I've got the Kinsmen shower which is also steel frame. I compared weights of the awnings and the Kinsmen is 70 lbs while my Alu Cab is 24 kg which is 53 lbs. Also, they will be offering a wall kit and awning is available for either driver's side or passenger side.

Photobug

Not sure if you're aware, but the biggest difference between most, including Ostrich, is the frame of the Kinsmen is steel. Almost all others are aluminum. If the Kinsmen was available when I was looking, I'd have went with it over my Alu Cab.

I am considering the Kinsmen. There are two things going against it.

The walls are not currently available. I reached out to the owner and he is planning on it.
The walls are attached with velcro vs zippers. I'd prefer zipper based attachments.

I am just as interested in the walls as much as the awning. Shade is less important for me than rain and snow which can happen year around where I live. Last snow was 2 weeks ago. If Kinsmen had a prototype wall and a promised delivery date, it would be near the top of my list. Since I don't know when the walls will arrive or what shape they will take, it is only a consideration.

The Howling Moon is first on my list because of its extra space. I think the extra coverage towards my truck cab would really come in handy. I am also considering the option to add some fabric to the forward triangle to create a shower/head cubicle. I have a month to choose as that is when my first big summer event happens.

shade

Not sure if you're aware, but the biggest difference between most, including Ostrich, is the frame of the Kinsmen is steel. Almost all others are aluminum. If the Kinsmen was available when I was looking, I'd have went with it over my Alu Cab. I've got the Kinsmen shower which is also steel frame. I compared weights of the awnings and the Kinsmen is 70 lbs while my Alu Cab is 24 kg which is 53 lbs. Also, they will be offering a wall kit and awning is available for either driver's side or passenger side.
Not having seen any self-supporting awnings in person, I've had to watch videos to gain some frame of reference. The Kinsmen seems to be the strongest structure, but it also weighs the most, and offers less coverage than others. That's not to say other awnings aren't great products, but it illustrates some of the tradeoffs involved.

I've no doubt that a carbon fiber framework would weigh considerably less and could be as strong & light as anyone could want; the price would be stunning.

shade

The walls are attached with velcro vs zippers. I'd prefer zipper based attachments.
I think the Kinsmen has snaps, too.

I'm surprised they haven't sussed out the walls yet. Compared to the awning, walls are simple, and they already have a reliable soft goods contractor on board. It could be an issue with having enough capacity to get them produced, or uncertainty about the price point.

Photobug

I think the Kinsmen has snaps, too.

I'm surprised they haven't sussed out the walls yet. Compared to the awning, walls are simple, and they already have a reliable soft goods contractor on board. It could be an issue with having enough capacity to get them produced, or uncertainty about the price point.

That or they are busy making awnings as fast as they can.

I have been in contact with Matt from Kinsmen. The current issue is he wants the walls to be as rugged as the awning which he claims to handle 40 mph winds. If he is waiting to design walls that can withstand the same winds it may be a while. He is hoping for something later this year. I am not sure that means this summer or this fall.

shade

That or they are busy making awnings as fast as they can.

I have been in contact with Matt from Kinsmen. The current issue is he wants the walls to be as rugged as the awning which he claims to handle 40 mph winds. If he is waiting to design walls that can withstand the same winds it may be a while. He is hoping for something later this year. I am not sure that means this summer or this fall.
Have you considered making do with some simple poly tarpage until the walls appear? I know that's taking a leap of faith that they'll ever appear, but if you're sold on the awning itself, it could work for a trip or two.

Photobug

Have you considered making do with some simple poly tarpage until the walls appear? I know that's taking a leap of faith that they'll ever appear, but if you're sold on the awning itself, it could work for a trip or two.
The Kinsmen looks like a nice awning but not knowing when or what the walls will look like, I am not willing to commit. Also the first edition of a product is often experimental. I have seen a number of positive reviews of awnings that the owner replaced a year or two later because the product was flawed. If I am going to pay a for a premium product I want it to be fully baked with a proven track record.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94