‘15 Ram Cummins multi-purpose build

trojanman18

Hey everyone, first post here on this forum. Just bought a 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 tradesman and absolutely love the truck. Traded in my 2010 Toyota Tacoma and 05 Ram 3500 for this new beast. I used my old 5.9 for hauling hay for my business and the Tacoma to go out and have fun in. Now I’ve got one truck that I’d like to do both with and need some suspension suggestions.

I haul consistently 8k-11k pounds nearly every day and camp about once a month so I’m looking for a kit that’s not going to completely soften my rear end and prevent large loads but at the same time giving me some sort of luxuries when on dirt. Any advice would be much appreciated, I’m absolutely loving this truck but I’m ready to build it and see what all it can do! Also, needing brand options for armor/rack/misc mods. Going from the mid size foreign truck to domestic full size isn’t easy!516700

AJM

Compliant suspension plus airbags. Only pressurise airbags when carrying loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Explorerinil

Observer
What’s your budget? I tow and haul often, 10k with my carli kit and love it. I run rear air bags and cradles for towing heavy loads. I can tell you from experience that carli and thuren kits (I have had both) greatly improve the ride and handling of these trucks. I hunt in the winter months, basting down rutted up frozen corn fields is a breeze. In the summer traveling to remote areas on fire and logging roads looking for a good place to fish, the carli kit makes it a breeze, where stock I would be beat to death and wore out.

Do you off-road much? If not look at the carli commuter kit, run rear air bags and get a set of daystar cradles that way you can run the bag at 0psi unloaded. Make sure you get the carli sway bar.

If you off-road allot, consider the backcountry or pintop, the pintop will ride harsher than the backcountry.

I had the thuren overland kit on my 12 2500 and 14 2500, I was very impressed, if your on a tad more of a budget look at that.

AEV, don’t consider it, it’s a spacer kit, they have had knuckle, steering and track bar issues, no improvement over stock other than tire clearance.

trojanman18

What’s your budget? I tow and haul often, 10k with my carli kit and love it. I run rear air bags and cradles for towing heavy loads. I can tell you from experience that carli and thuren kits (I have had both) greatly improve the ride and handling of these trucks. I hunt in the winter months, basting down rutted up frozen corn fields is a breeze. In the summer traveling to remote areas on fire and logging roads looking for a good place to fish, the carli kit makes it a breeze, where stock I would be beat to death and wore out.

Do you off-road much? If not look at the carli commuter kit, run rear air bags and get a set of daystar cradles that way you can run the bag at 0psi unloaded. Make sure you get the carli sway bar.

If you off-road allot, consider the backcountry or pintop, the pintop will ride harsher than the backcountry.

I had the thuren overland kit on my 12 2500 and 14 2500, I was very impressed, if your on a tad more of a budget look at that.

AEV, don’t consider it, it’s a spacer kit, they have had knuckle, steering and track bar issues, no improvement over stock other than tire clearance.
Excellent advice, much appreciated. I don't necessarily have a budget but don't want to break the bank. I know the importance of suspension so im willing to pay for quality. its currently sitting on a spacer lift and that won't cut it for me. I offload and camp pretty frequently and when I wheel its out in the Arizona desert and stock suspension feels awful on rocks. I was worried that these kits soften up the rear end and make hauling big loads obsolete, but if you're speaking out of experience, thats good to know. I've looked at both Carli and thuren but am not sure exactly the differences.

Explorerinil

Observer
Excellent advice, much appreciated. I don't necessarily have a budget but don't want to break the bank. I know the importance of suspension so im willing to pay for quality. its currently sitting on a spacer lift and that won't cut it for me. I offload and camp pretty frequently and when I wheel its out in the Arizona desert and stock suspension feels awful on rocks. I was worried that these kits soften up the rear end and make hauling big loads obsolete, but if you're speaking out of experience, thats good to know. I've looked at both Carli and thuren but am not sure exactly the differences.
Carli and thuren are both top in the ram cummins platform. Pure performance and synergy make awesome products are are coming up. Thuren runs a different type of coil that will not bow with 3 inches of lift, vs carli that requires radius arm drops. Both systems are very good, a spacer on top of your coils is not good on a radius arm platform, are you getting coil bow?

Whatever you do, run the proper alignment specs, search CJC off-road alignment or thuren alignment. Basically you are going to set the toe at 0 or close to it as you can. Put both caster adjusters equal, start both facing straight down or slightly rearward. Adjust both equally until your happy and the truck drives straight. Do not get both caster to far from equal or you’ll get a bad lean. A slight amount of positive caster won’t hurt. For tires ditch those bfg alterrains, they suck under a heavy ram cummins, do some searching on that, too flexible of a sidewall.

Nice truck it looks really clean, good choice on the method wheels. Give CJC off-road a call and go over what your doing with them, I’m sure they will shoot you a good quote and the best advice.

trojanman18

Carli and thuren are both top in the ram cummins platform. Pure performance and synergy make awesome products are are coming up. Thuren runs a different type of coil that will not bow with 3 inches of lift, vs carli that requires radius arm drops. Both systems are very good, a spacer on top of your coils is not good on a radius arm platform, are you getting coil bow?

Whatever you do, run the proper alignment specs, search CJC off-road alignment or thuren alignment. Basically you are going to set the toe at 0 or close to it as you can. Put both caster adjusters equal, start both facing straight down or slightly rearward. Adjust both equally until your happy and the truck drives straight. Do not get both caster to far from equal or you’ll get a bad lean. A slight amount of positive caster won’t hurt. For tires ditch those bfg alterrains, they suck under a heavy ram cummins, do some searching on that, too flexible of a sidewall.

Nice truck it looks really clean, good choice on the method wheels. Give CJC off-road a call and go over what your doing with them, I’m sure they will shoot you a good quote and the best advice.
Thanks for the info. I did a little more research on both thuren and Carli and I’m still unable to make up my mind. I’ll probablt keep digging so I know what will be most beneficial for my situation. Not sure if it would be better to bite the bullet and spend the 700$ more on the Carli back country or run the commuter kit, being that the truck has more purpose than just dirt.

As for the wheels and tires, those ko2’s are my last choice of tire. Ran them on my first Tacoma and hated them, but can only imagine how quickly they’ll go consistently hauling. The broker I bought the truck from put the wheels, tires, and spacer lift on before selling... at least they got the methods right.

chet6.7

Explorer
Are you going to replace the rear coils or keep them and just replace the front coils?
I like Thuren's site because I could build out every option,it helped me figure out what I wanted to do and of course how much I was going to spend.One of the things Thuren mentions is the loss of payload with replacement rear coils. I believe Rhinopc from CJC does not recommend air bags on a 2500,as I remember it he stated there was not a lot of room back there. Search around on the Cummins forum for some info if you wish,he will usually responds to questions in the susp section,he will respond to a PM.
I have 2.5 Kings all around with Thuren 1" coils in the front and the stock coils in the rear. I measured at the center-line of the wheel straight up to the fender,I got 2" of lift on the front. I have a Carli anti sway bar in the front,it is a nice addition,Thuren did not have his out at the time of purchase.I have a Thuren track bar in the front and his rear bar,the rear bar makes the truck handle better as the tail wag is gone.
I found the Fitlthy Motosports you tube videos helpful as well.

trojanman18

Are you going to replace the rear coils or keep them and just replace the front coils?
I like Thuren's site because I could build out every option,it helped me figure out what I wanted to do and of course how much I was going to spend.One of the things Thuren mentions is the loss of payload with replacement rear coils. I believe Rhinopc from CJC does not recommend air bags on a 2500,as I remember it he stated there was not a lot of room back there. Search around on the Cummins forum for some info if you wish,he will usually responds to questions in the susp section,he will respond to a PM.
I have 2.5 Kings all around with Thuren 1" coils in the front and the stock coils in the rear. I measured at the center-line of the wheel straight up to the fender,I got 2" of lift on the front. I have a Carli anti sway bar in the front,it is a nice addition,Thuren did not have his out at the time of purchase.I have a Thuren track bar in the front and his rear bar,the rear bar makes the truck handle better as the tail wag is gone.
I found the Fitlthy Motosports you tube videos helpful as well.
I’m thinking I may keep the rear springs the way they are since I do more hauling than wheeling, I just don’t want to risk payload drop. I’m going to contact CJC like @Explorerinil had recommended to get there opinion on my situation. What tires are you running with the 1” coil up front? Enough room?

chet6.7

Explorer
I’m thinking I may keep the rear springs the way they are since I do more hauling than wheeling, I just don’t want to risk payload drop. I’m going to contact CJC like @Explorerinil had recommended to get there opinion on my situation. What tires are you running with the 1” coil up front? Enough room?
I am running Toyo MT's in 315/70/18,no rubbing with Method wheels,at least with the dirt roading I do.
Here is the post about airbags I spoke of,#112.

Last edited:

Big Ern

I am running Thuren coils front and rear with their King 2.0’s. Also run their front/rear trackbars, sway bar, steering damper (with carli low boy) on my 2017 ram 2500 ctd. CJC was source for all components and did the install.

The truck rides like a dream. This is my hunting rig so my off-roading is slow and steady. CJC was extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Running the Toyo 315/70r18s or 37s that allow you to deflate to 45F and 35R goes a really long way to fixing the ride. That gives you the stock 6000# in the front and 5000# in the rear which is about 2000# over the stock rear axle weight.

Explorerinil

Observer
Running the Toyo 315/70r18s or 37s that allow you to deflate to 45F and 35R goes a really long way to fixing the ride. That gives you the stock 6000# in the front and 5000# in the rear which is about 2000# over the stock rear axle weight.
This is great advice! I’m running 40f 35r as trial pressures and my truck rides and handles great. So far the tires have no weird wear.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
This is great advice! I’m running 40f 35r as trial pressures and my truck rides and handles great. So far the tires have no weird wear.

I tried to match the stock 6000# FAWR with mine according to the Toyo table. When I weighed the truck stock the front axle was right at 5000# with only me in the truck. You might want to bump up the 5psi, especially since you have the heavier Aisin, and a winch and bumper.

Regardless, the ability to run such low pressures is one of the best benefits of running 37s rather than 35s. I just bought an ORV Creekside 23DBS for our traveling and will probably go back to 35s since I still have stock gearing. I'm certainly torn though since I'll have to run at least 5psi more than I am now to get the same load capacity which will worsen the ride unloaded. And Louisiana roads just plain suck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94