Ram Rebel or Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro

XJLI

Adventurer
I'll disagree with the others saying the new Tacoma can't tow. Its actually downright impressive in that department. Size however, thats up to you. I think a crew cab 6.5' bed Tacoma is a good do-it-all size. But once you start putting much bigger tires on it and weighing it down all of the instagram overland gear, all the benefits of economy and your tow capacity disappear fast.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Why not a Tundra instead of a Tacoma? Seems like that would be a more direct comparison?

Because the thought of mentioning the word "Tundra" brings out the anti-Toyota fan-boys or a ratio of at least 10-1 to the Toyota fan-boys who always seem to have at least 100 reasons why a time honored, tested, and proven reliable simple truck can't possibly be as good a choice for those who want or need to get outdoors and get back home safe and sound than any of the new crop of fancy trucks with 45 heated and cooled cup holders, double flip-down tailgates, and claims of 1500mpg.

whododat

I can't speak for the Tacoma but my 19 Ram 1500 crew cab is absolutely one of the most comfortable vehicles I have ever traveled in. We have taken trips to Missouri, Western Tennessee, South Carolina and are headed to Alabama in September. I have done very little off roading but have driven on the beach with it and it does fantastic w stock size BFG KO2's. We are setting it up for overlanding, little by little, and will be going on extended trips once I retire. I do plan on towing a small off road trailer with it and it should have no issues at all. Our end plan is to have a RTT for the bed of the truck and one on the trailer.
Good luck with your choice.

Dalko43

Explorer
Because the thought of mentioning the word "Tundra" brings out the anti-Toyota fan-boys or a ratio of at least 10-1 to the Toyota fan-boys who always seem to have at least 100 reasons why a time honored, tested, and proven reliable simple truck can't possibly be as good a choice for those who want or need to get outdoors and get back home safe and sound than any of the new crop of fancy trucks with 45 heated and cooled cup holders, double flip-down tailgates, and claims of 1500mpg.

^Pretty much.

I do agree: if you want to cross-shop the Ram 1500 against something, it should be the Tundra, not the Tacoma.

The Ram might ride and handle better compared to the Tundra, though if you judge a truck purely based on ride you probably want a truck more than you need one. FCA still has a lot of work to do in order to make for past failures and reliability issues.

Adventurous

Explorer
I agree with the Tundra > Tacoma sentiment, especially if you'll be towing anything of significance. Your profile pic looks a lot like Colorado, in which case the Tacoma will struggle mightily hauling 4K up and down the mountain passes. I hauled a 3,XXX lbs travel trailer around CO with my 2nd gen and it wasn't a pleasant experience. The truck just doesnt have the power, or, more importantly, the brakes to control a trailer of that size down sustained grades.

I have no experience with the 1500 vs Tundra outside of brief test drives, so I can't offer any advice on that decision.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
if you want to cross-shop the Ram 1500 against something, it should be the Tundra, not the Tacoma.

I have a Tundra CrewMax and a Dodge 2500 (Power Wagon). Bottom line is that the Tundra just can't cut it against the current Dodge/Ram products. The Tundra is not a bad truck, but the competition has gotten to be much better while the Tundra is essentially still a 2007 with a few tweaks. A friend has a newish Tundra CrewMax TuRD Pro, and it's nice, but still no comparison to the Dodge. Another friend is shopping for a truck to replace his first gen Tundra, and he is not considering any Toyota products after looking at the current offerings. He'll probably get a Ram Rebel, but the F150 is still in consideration.

Dalko43

Explorer
if you want to cross-shop the Ram 1500 against something, it should be the Tundra, not the Tacoma.

I have a Tundra CrewMax and a Dodge 2500 (Power Wagon). Bottom line is that the Tundra just can't cut it against the current Dodge/Ram products. The Tundra is not a bad truck, but the competition has gotten to be much better while the Tundra is essentially still a 2007 with a few tweaks. A friend has a newish Tundra CrewMax TuRD Pro, and it's nice, but still no comparison to the Dodge. Another friend is shopping for a truck to replace his first gen Tundra, and he is not considering any Toyota products after looking at the current offerings. He'll probably get a Ram Rebel, but the F150 is still in consideration.

Depends on what you're looking for in a truck.

The Ram has made a lot of progress in terms of interior comfort and refinement. However, the underlying platform is still a truck, not all that different from the Tundra's design. The 5.7l Hemi isn't a particularly refined or advanced engine either, certainly not compared to Toyota's 5.7l DOHC v8.

Arguably the Tundra still has a tangible advantage in terms of reliability....NHTSA-listed recalls and TSB's prove that.

ccahoon

The Ram is more truck for the buck. A friend of mine is looking for a new truck and he's probably getting a Rebel. He has looked at and/or driven just about everything out there and he has narrowed it down to a Rebel or F-150. He had a first gen Tundra for about 17 years and the new Toys just don't cut it for him. The Ram has a much bigger cab and is a lot more comfortable for long trips, plus more space for camping gear in back.

Hard to beat the first Gen Tundra in a best of both worlds scenario. i know plenty out there over 300k and going strong. Too bad the new ones have gotten so big. For guys like me that want a more agile, small bodied truck but don't want to sacrifice cab comfort (6'3") the only other truck I'd consider right now is Colorado ZR 2 (surprisingly roomy for a tall guy). Taco seems too crammed in the cab and new Tundra is too big.

if i was going full size, I'd go Power Wagon or Diesel. Get the power and towing that matches the truck. Not to mention off-road capable.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
The Ram has made a lot of progress in terms of interior comfort and refinement. However, the underlying platform is still a truck, not all that different from the Tundra's design. The 5.7l Hemi isn't a particularly refined or advanced engine either, certainly not compared to Toyota's 5.7l DOHC v8.

Arguably the Tundra still has a tangible advantage in terms of reliability....NHTSA-listed recalls and TSB's prove that.

Well, based on my sample of one of each, the Dodge has been more reliable than the Tundra, even though the Tundra is three years newer. Mileage similar on the two trucks. The Hemi 5.7 may not be "refined", but is is well proven and produces similar power to the Toy 5.7. The Toy may be more advanced, but it offers no practical, real world advantages over the Hemi. There have been more repairs required on my Tundra than on my Dodge. The Dodge is more comfortable than the Tundra for long trips, and even my friend with the newer TuRD Pro would rather ride in the Dodge when we do long hunting trips. The Tundra has a bigger cabin. The Dodge has a bigger bed. Pick your poison.

tennesseewj

Observer
Taco seems too crammed in the cab and new Tundra is too big.

if i was going full size, I'd go Power Wagon or Diesel. Get the power and towing that matches the truck. Not to mention off-road capable.

I hear you on the Tacoma feeling cramped for tall guys. I'm 6'4" and my first gen Tundra DC feels way more roomy than new Tacomas do, even though they are similarly sized on paper.

I'm not sure why you think the Power Wagon is an acceptable size while saying the new Tundra is too big, though. Power Wagons are absolute behemoths!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer

Well, based on my sample of one of each, the Dodge has been more reliable than the Tundra, even though the Tundra is three years newer. Mileage similar on the two trucks. The Hemi 5.7 may not be "refined", but is is well proven and produces similar power to the Toy 5.7. The Toy may be more advanced, but it offers no practical, real world advantages over the Hemi. There have been more repairs required on my Tundra than on my Dodge. The Dodge is more comfortable than the Tundra for long trips, and even my friend with the newer TuRD Pro would rather ride in the Dodge when we do long hunting trips. The Tundra has a bigger cabin. The Dodge has a bigger bed. Pick your poison.

Sample size of one, as you noted. Survey results over a larger population, and you'll start to see a clear trend in terms of reliability.

That isn't to say the newer Rams are crap, because they aren't. Nor is the Tundra particularly "advanced" by comparison; in fact, I see all the 1/2 ton trucks as about the same in terms of fundamental technologies and designs being employed. But with the number of recalls and TSB's they have on their trucks, FCA has more than a little room for improvement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles