3. Pilot bushing adapter

We are taking orders now and have a few
requirements for our pre-run customers. If you
are interested in participating in this
pre-production run we ask that you be ready to
go with your swap so that we can obtain timely
feedback and any observations that you may have
regarding the fitment and installation. We ask
that you be automotive or engineering oriented.
We are also looking for an assortment of
different transmissions so we will be basing our
decisions on that as well.

Our adapters aren’t made by anyone else,
anywhere. These adapters do not require any
block or transmission case modifications and use
common off the shelf factory replacement parts.
They are easy to bolt on at home. They are high
quality, and expensive to produce. Well worth
the money.

Our target price for the adapter kit is below
$1000. As we get our production ramped up we
will better be able to narrow down the price.

If you are interested in knowing more please see
the diesel conversions section on our new website.

http://www.4x4labs.com/dieselconversions.shtml

Please keep in mind our website is under
construction. We will be changing things around
and adding the web store so please be patient as
we get our new site organized.

You are always welcome to call or email any
questions.
thanks,

-luke@4x4labs

nickw

Adventurer
ChuckB said:
Check out the new site!!

OM617 Conversion

I saw that the other day, pretty sweet!

I think they should have done the adapter to the toyota trannies first, while also offering some bolt in engine mounts, since I see the major consumers being re-powers of relatively stock rigs. The stock cruiser tranny is a smooth shifter and has close ratios which would suite than engine perfectly.

I dont like the jump in those granny trannies from 1st-2nd, it is problamatic enough on the stock 2F engines which have quite a bit more low end torque (210 lb/ft) compared to the OM617 (170 lb/ft).

If (when) they offer the H41/H42/H55 adapter I will be the first on the list.

I got some quotes for rebuilding a OM617 to 'like new' condition from a friend who owns a mercedes shop, should come in at about $5,000, which assumes you have all ancillaries and you give them a solid crank and block, not cheap.

Most exciting diesel news in the cruiser world for some time now in my opinion!

By the way, nice job on their website Andre!

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I'm hoping the toyota trannys won't be too far down the road.

Andre,

The website is looking good!

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Thanks guys... Very much under construction and another template from another web site applied to this one. But works well. Oddly I have a lot of time into it and a lot more to come... Some trade out though: the adapter kit! I already have the engine. The secret is to find a good low mileage wreck or so. My engine, 126K and $300 (or maybe even cheaper, we'll see). My last Benz 5 cyl turbo went to 340k miles and still counting! :) This will be going into my mini truck (which is a shoe horn but it will fit), tough too because this is the only 3VZE (V6 Toyota engine from late 80s/early 90s) that has run really well with decent mileage and power... But it sure would be nice to have it diesel of course :)

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
dieselcruiserhead said:
Thanks guys... Very much under construction and another template from another web site applied to this one. But works well. Oddly I have a lot of time into it and a lot more to come... Some trade out though: the adapter kit! I already have the engine. The secret is to find a good low mileage wreck or so. My engine, 126K and $300 (or maybe even cheaper, we'll see). My last Benz 5 cyl turbo went to 340k miles and still counting! :) This will be going into my mini truck (which is a shoe horn but it will fit), tough too because this is the only 3VZE (V6 Toyota engine from late 80s/early 90s) that has run really well with decent mileage and power... But it sure would be nice to have it diesel of course :)

Cool! I can't wait to hear how that runs!!

nickw

Adventurer
dieselcruiserhead said:

Sounds like a sweet build, you could get away with a NON turbo engine in a toyota truck, a bit smaller package and a bit longer lasting. But if you have the room, might as well go for the big dog.

So dont leave us hanging here, which GM tranny are you going to use? Going with the mini-t case? What gears?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
When I get a sec I'll find a link to a really hoaky install done by a guy on that yoats board (not wild yoats I forget the name of it), the one that is almost all Toyota pickup and 4 runner guys. The shoehorn is in relation to the engine being a little long. There is a body cross member up front I'll have to cut out, inevitably I'll probably come up with a way cleaner solution than the guy did. No issues with the turbo fitting. With our altitude, the turbo is required. Responding to that cost comment again on the $5G rebuild. There are plenty of diesels where this seems normal but the secret to the Benz is its expensive cost. It is also a little underpowered compared to larger diesels/vehicles that go in Land Cruisers and are more V8 oriented. This is a relatively lower power indirect injected (so you can only have limited boost) small turbo 5 cyl diesel out of a car. Good for a FJ40 at most or a FJ55 or 60 with stock tires or slightly larger, and about the same power as maybe the stock 2F. The turbo does help/work reasonably well on the freeway too. A lot of it has to do with gearing in relation to the engine.

Setup will be relatively similar to how it already is... Toyota 5 speed using an Advance Adapter from www.cruiseroutfitters.com to a GM pattern, then the OM 617 adapter. A little extra money but I don't want to have to wait another year or so. My Old Man Emu lift (and the truck currently has a 2" body lift from a PO. We'll see how it fits, either leave it IFS and the same gearing (stock 4.10) which is great with the 32s, or do a FJ62 axle up front. I currently run ball joint spacers up front. I've located a few cheap local FJ62 front axles... But I don't mind IFS as I don't really wheel a ton any more and I like how the IFS performs and it is my DDer I have a feeling with the torsion bars cranked up or Old Man Emu torsion bars it will handle the extra weight of the Benz engine fine. Not sure how much more weight there will be. My only apprehension is when the Benz diesels get tired they start having starting difficulties in the very cold weather. I was stranded occasionally when I owned a '83 300D, it is quite embarrassing when you can't make it to your meeting because your car won't start... But that is the benefit of a newer younger healthier engine if you can locate one. I also believe strongly in OEM builds if possible versus a rebuild.

The wild lots-of-time-I-don't have setup would be:

- Cut truck in half, extend frame by 8-12" and install a vegetable oil tank between the truck bed and cab. Sounds crazy but I have cut a frames in half before to modify it. Align using laser pointers...
- solid front axle, FJ62, ideally ARB probably up front or maybe an Aussie or other selectable. Most likely will do a low height coil spring setup mimicing a FJ80 setup. It is bad but I am forgetting the terminology of this type of setup, it is on the tip of my tongue...
- Tacoma e locker in the rear is a good cost effective selectable in the rear. I've done this too, not a bad install at all.
- The diesel, probably a 4.7 low range gear only in the t case.

My other concerns are my synchros in the transmission are starting to get a little weak after 241K very good running miles. So I would probably just go ahead and order a new trans and probably a built t case while I was at it from Marlin. And finally, this is a lot of time and $$ to put into this truck. Especially when it is as old and inexpensive as it was, though it is in great shape and I love it to death. One of my funnest and most favorite vehicles in a long time.

Here is a pic as it sits with it probably as loaded as I've ever had it, doing recycling for a huge Halloween party we have up here in the summer called Summerween.. Which is way better than Halloween. :)

Picture%20388.jpg

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
To to top for this old thread. I am building the truck, current buildup posts on 4BTswaps.com and a thread here on Expo that largely shows the evolution of the plan and the truck several years in the making...

Here is the adapter. It is a work of art.

It uses a Fidanza aluminum flywheel with steel replaceable insert. Beautiful...

Ford V10 gear reduction starter. Small and efficient, common, and inexpensive.

All hardware included and a pilot bushing spacer...

Big strong GM clutch of your choice...

very very nice. I am extremely excited...

Attachments

• TM_006.jpg
    TM_006.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 3,085
  • TM_007.jpg
    TM_007.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 1,517
  • TM_009.jpg
    TM_009.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 14
  • TM_012.jpg
    TM_012.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 15
  • TM_013.jpg
    TM_013.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 16
  • TM_015.jpg
    TM_015.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 1,368
  • TM_014.jpg
    TM_014.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 17
  • TM_016.jpg
    TM_016.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 2,095
  • TM_017.jpg
    TM_017.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 1,379

Rot Box

Explorer
:Wow1::drool: Awesome buildup Andre!

I can't believe how long the 617's have been sitting there unnoticed. They make great power, they're extremely reliable, can be found for cheap and have great dimensions. Maybe it's just me, but I think they are the ultimate swap for Toyota's. Good to see someone putting one to use :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles