Truma? / what is a hard side camper like to drive? (cross winds, handling on highways)

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
We have well more than 50k on our setup.
Id have to look at records to see just how many miles.

7,000lb truck, 2000lb camper (dry), rolling right at 10,000lbs wet/loaded.

If anything, the additional weight of the camper seems to have grounded the truck further.
We have never had any issues with cross winds. It certainly handles difference, but considering the weight of the truck itself,
the COG has not moved up nearly as much as it might look like. It just feels like there is more weight, not necessarily weight up high.

The build however, was not only weight conscious, but conscious of where the weight was placed.
The camper is balanced left to right, and weight pushed forward in order to get a good portion of the weight on the front axle.

As many have said, most campers just have too much crap in them.
Even worse, they dont seem to care where these weight adders are (mis)placed.

Balance the weight out, and push weight forward and you will have a camper/truck combo that works very well.

45220638235_0c5f3c0d99_o.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Hallmark makes my favorite pop-ups for sure. I would love one, but my camper stays 6 months at a time in an area that gets 6’ + of snow. I went with a Northern Lite and factory ordered it to my spec to keep the weight as low as possible (both in total, and in height off the ground). I’m around 2500 lbs as well. With my 3500 SRW I can drive comfortably at or above the speed limit. I run airbags, and also have Torklift Stable Loads. I set mine up so the airbags do the leveling, but if one of them fails (I’ve had a puncture in one before) the Stable Loads take most of the worry away.

My 40 years of truck camper experience tell me this: Go pop-up if driving ease and accessibility are your priority, and go hardside if comfort and security when you arrive is your goal. Either way, get the absolute lightest unit you can find (without sacrificing build quality). Even with a 350/3500, weight adds up WAY faster than you think!

Last edited:
. . . I went with a Northern Lite and factory ordered it to my spec to keep the weight as low as possible (both in total, and in height off the ground) . . .

I've been wondering whether Northern Lite would do special orders at all -- as I'm considering an 8-11 and would love to drop the oven in favor of storage and smev stovetop, go to a smaller 12v compressor fridge, switch to Truma heat/water, and install Yakima tracks on the roof. With these changes, I think the camper would be just about perfect for me.

Would you mind sharing details about what you custom ordered (or deleted) and how Northern Lite was to work with?

Thanks much.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I ordered a 2017 9-6Q. They only spec build the SE models with microwave, that giant “patio” thing off the back, TV, crappy double Din stereo etc etc. You can see all the options on their website.

I had them delete the patio, microwave, TV, Stereo, and tried to get them to delete the bath fan (there is a fantastic fan right outside the bathroom door, which I don’t usually shut). I was concerned with getting the least number of holes through the shell, and keeping the weight down.

I did add the rear ladder, bumper, speakers (tough to get wires hidden afterwards), AC, side awning and power rear awning. I installed my own TV, stereo/DVD player and customized a whole bunch of cabinets and other woodwork. I also built my own step system, as I tow a lot, and the factory stair set up doesn’t work well with trailers. I have thought about a roof rack for surf gear etc, but have yet to want to drill holes to mount one.

Mac who is the owner of NL is a great guy. His son Keith is now the GM though, and frankly, can be an ass. If you have a dealer near you, you could get them to talk to their sales rep about a custom order. I’m not sure if they would change the appliances from stock as they are way to busy to do total one offs. I would suggest trying to get them to just not install the appliances (leave counter uncut for stove, blank wall where fridge goes etc) so that you could put the ones you want in.

I build custom Airstream trailers for a living, and live only a few hours from the NL factory so I could possibly install the other appliances for you?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I also have 10s of thousands of miles on my Ram 3500SRW with a Lance 855 in the bed. My only mod was Torqlift Stableloads. Drove like a dream. Zero issue in any wind in multiple trips across Texas to the rockies. Stable as can be in curvy mountain roads. A lot of negative experiences come from older early 2000s or 90s model trucks carrying way too heavy of campers. The newer model 3500 trucks have payloads and GVWRs equivalent to DRW trucks of 15 years ago and can carry 3000-3500# campers with zero issues. Before you take advice, ask what year their rig is. You will see a sharp difference from owners of older rigs and newer stuff.
Interesting. I've observed srw cabovers on US 15 south of Vegas in the right lane with flashers engaged. The howling side wind was making it very difficult to navigate. I was bare knuckling it with my popup. A dually with a big Lance roared past us. Solid as a rock.
Emergency collision avoidance with a much higher cog and srw's aren't going to be fun. It's going to roll without much input.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Interesting. I've observed srw cabovers on US 15 south of Vegas in the right lane with flashers engaged. The howling side wind was making it very difficult to navigate. I was bare knuckling it with my popup. A dually with a big Lance roared past us. Solid as a rock.
Emergency collision avoidance with a much higher cog and srw's aren't going to be fun. It's going to roll without much input.

What's the GVWR of your truck? Mine is 11700 total with 6000#FAWR and 7000#RAWR. I also ran tires rated at 4080# each when I had the camper. I would venture to say that your significantly lower stock GVWR coupled with your softer Thuren and Carli suspension would play a big factor in how stable your truck is. I had stock springs when I had the camper.

North Texas gets pretty windy and I never had an issue in many trips through that area.
Also, different people have very different tolerances for how "safe" they feel. Some people won't pull a trailer more than 65mph. I put higher rated tires on all of mine and go the speed limit or a little better with very little worry. But then again, I'm also not towing a 10k travel trailer with an F150... like some guys seem to think is safe.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I had similar wind experience to RCG in northern Nevada with my ‘05 Dodge 3500 SRW and pop up, but it was so windy the state patrol had closed a bunch of highways. My issue wasn’t so much with the camper as the road we were on was heading into the wind, but the hood of my truck was actually flexing in the middle from the gusts (combined with my 60 mph speed).

I haven’t experienced wind like that with either of my hard side rigs, but it would have been unpleasant at best.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I had similar wind experience to RCG in northern Nevada with my ‘05 Dodge 3500 SRW and pop up, but it was so windy the state patrol had closed a bunch of highways. My issue wasn’t so much with the camper as the road we were on was heading into the wind, but the hood of my truck was actually flexing in the middle from the gusts (combined with my 60 mph speed).

I haven’t experienced wind like that with either of my hard side rigs, but it would have been unpleasant at best.

Wind like that can flip a lifted truck with no camper. I'm not sure what driving in gale force winds has to do with normal stability of a hard side camper on an SRW HD truck...

Hallmark makes my favorite pop-ups for sure. I would love one, but my camper stays 6 months at a time in an area that gets 6’ + of snow. I went with a Northern Lite and factory ordered it to my spec to keep the weight as low as possible (both in total, and in height off the ground). I’m around 2500 wet as well. With my 3500 SRW I can drive comfortably at or above the speed limit. I run airbags, and also have Torklift Stable Loads. I set mine up so the airbags do the leveling, but if one of them fails (I’ve had a puncture in one before) the Stable Loads take most of the worry away.

My 40 years of truck camper experience tell me this: Go pop-up if driving ease and accessibility are your priority, and go hardside if comfort and security when you arrive is your goal. Either way, get the absolute lightest unit you can find (without sacrificing build quality). Even with a 350/3500, weight adds up WAY faster than you think!

I have a 9-6 QSE, and my dry weight, from the factory is 2615ish. I’m curious what you did to cut your weight down as much as you did.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm not sure what driving in gale force winds has to do with normal stability of a hard side camper on an SRW HD truck...

And I’m not sure why you are coming across as hostile? I was merely pointing out that wind (which you mentioned) hasn’t bothered me much with my properly equipped SRWs. I also believe in setting your vehicle up appropriately for its intended use. I have zero stability issues with my set up on twisty mountain highways at speeds 10-20 mph over posted. I am a product evaluator for the biggest and most respected maker of truck camper installation and stability products, so somebody out there seems to think I know a bit about campers and setting up trucks for them.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have a 9-6 QSE, and my dry weight, from the factory is 2615ish. I’m curious what you did to cut your weight down as much as you did.

What year is yours? Your actual weight is listed in the closet by the entry door. I deleted the microwave, TV, stereo, patio thing, steps, etc. I did however add a second spice rack, and get them to bring in a firmer mattress after a few months.

A ‘16. I’m too lazy to go down to storage and verify the actual, but it’s just over 2600#. The patio/steps can’t weigh more than 200#, with the other stuff another 200#. That would put my dry weight around 2200#. Your wet weight is around 2500#. I’m figuring at least 700# for my water, food, batts and gear. Maybe I just pack too much...

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
And I’m not sure why you are coming across as hostile? I was merely pointing out that wind (which you mentioned) hasn’t bothered me much with my properly equipped SRWs. I also believe in setting your vehicle up appropriately for its intended use. I have zero stability issues with my set up on twisty mountain highways at speeds 10-20 mph over posted. I am a product evaluator for the biggest and most respected maker of truck camper installation and stability products, so somebody out there seems to think I know a bit about campers and setting up trucks for them.

That was hostile to you? Wow. I was actually agreeing with you.

I was actually responding to someone else's comment about wind. I actually said that, like your experience, I haven't had issues in MY properly setup SRW truck when responding to another person that said SRW trucks were borderline unsafe with hard side campers. Why do threads like this always have to devolve into a pissing match?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
A ‘16. I’m too lazy to go down to storage and verify the actual, but it’s just over 2600#. The patio/steps can’t weigh more than 200#, with the other stuff another 200#. That would put my dry weight around 2200#. Your wet weight is around 2500#. I’m figuring at least 700# for my water, food, batts and gear. Maybe I just pack too much...

So yours is post fire as well. If it were a 2014, I’d say the weight difference would be in the moulds. My brother in law ran the fibreglass shop for them when yours was built. You probably pack fine. I’m not including food and gear. That changes a lot on every trip. Generator or not, fishing gear or hunting gear? Surfing gear or camera gear. If I cross the Canada-USA border, I don’t bring much food as some stuff is fine going north, but not south etc.

::Squish::

Observer
2000 F350 SRW long box carrying a Bigfoot 1500.
We've noticed some issues, mostly a lot of rocking at off camber drainage swales and above 70mph being passed by large trucks we get pushed around a bit.

We went hard side because we live where it's very humid and a soft side would rot and mildew in no time here.
Also because of cold and noise.

We've been super happy with the hardside with the truck and with the combo.
However we can't venture as far off road as we would like. Am
No we are looking at upgrading the suspension to be better suited to off road travel with the camper.

The biggest thing we learned when we got into truck camping is weight. It's all about the weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles