Importing an Australian made off-road trailer

onthemove

As long as we're dreaming...the Pioneer Camper's Mitchell trailer is another on my short list: http://www.pioneercampers.com/Products/7/69/Mitchell
I too have looked at these but found a few things that I didn’t rate. Heavy for 1 thing. I suppose they couldn’t just copy a Tvan?!
Another on my list is the Ultimate
Unfortunately it says it is made “for Australian Off-road Adventures” mustn’t be suitable for any other countries adventures ?. Great bit of kit ?

profdant139

I have always wondered why Australia has so many more high quality off road caravans than the USA does, even though the USA has a much larger population and plenty of room (out West) for off pavement camping.

It's a marketing mystery.

john61ct

Adventurer
In Australia there is less stigma being working class, and in fact (also in Europe) the working class are provided with a middle class level of security by the structural protections and supports in place.

So those who see no shame in camping on their holidays have lots more disposable spending money.

Americans don't get many holidays (vacation days) to start with, the middle class is disappearing and there's much greater class distinctions. And lots more inequality, most working people have no security are just one major crisis away from getting wiped out financially.

The camping vehicles market is generally looked down upon by those few well-off enough to afford gear of Aussie / Euro quality.

And most of those who would love to own it just can't justify spending that much.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
And 'Mericans typically fall into the "bigger is better" coupled with "quantity over quality" categories. Big houses, with crappy windows, floor covering, etc etc. Big RV trailers with multiple pop-outs, wimpy tires, big screen TVs, granite this & that...and all made of cheap materials that won't survive a trip or two down a gravel road. Most Americans within the RV sector want to replicate being at home...sandwiched together with like minded folks.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Aus also has a national roadtrip culture. For over half a century there was little tourism infrastructure at many locations outside the more populous southeast.

As mentioned the worker protections put in place by the government guarantee higher wages, and provide security in both retirement, and in healthcare. So your average worker has much more flexibility. For example after so many years with an employer, you get gov mandated long service leave, which is something like 6 weeks. The retirement investment which is gov managed is decent as well, which means many retirees can afford to travel.

Accommodation is fairly expensive in aus, especially in remote areas, so a tent, trailer, RV, van, etc can be a very economical option.

Fuel costs a fair bit more, which keeps MFGs from building as much big/heavy crap. Large vehicles, RVs included, over a certain weight are more expensive to own/operate due to taxes and license requirements as well.

profdant139

OK, I get that there are cultural and structural differences between the two countries. But there must be enough of us semi-adventurous USA trailer fans who would pay for decent Aussie-style off-road quality units. It sure feels like there is an unmet market segment here -- a big business opportunity!

On the other hand, if there really were sufficient demand, then someone would already have filled that niche, right? Since no one has, maybe the market has spoken, and I'm just out of luck.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Hence why I bought a Patriot X1 camper. I looked very serious at the Conqueror 490 platinum as well out of south Africa.

Ive even ordered a bunch of accessories out of AUS because no one carried them here in the states. Specific anderson plug mounts that I wanted for my vehicles, change room/shower ensuite (US company selling one was inferior as far as quality).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I would be some enterprising person could do the legwork to get a certification for these types of trailers. Take them to a few overland expo type events, go some web marketing, etc. There might be a good sized market. On the other hand it may fall flat on its face, as the "drag my trailer down the track" crowd may not be that large...

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I have been wondering about registering trailers here in Alberta. When you have a trailer you buy a plate for it. That plate is good for life. Many trailers have no serial numbers on the frames any more (fallen off, painted over or built over) or numbers from other trailers are put on them to register them. I went and registered a home made trailer that I bought and the person could not have cared less about the numbers matching anything. SO why could I not just take a serial number from another trailer and register it to the imported trailer? Or for that matter just take a plate from an old trailer and put it on the new one without changing the numbers. If I took the serial number off the new trailer they could never match it. Seems to me to leave a lot of wiggle room for someone that wanted to do it. Many of the homemade ones are barley road worthy, I am sure the imported ones from Australia are a lot better then those!

Or if I wanted to make a business out of it buy the built unit without the trailer frame, ship over to Canada and put the built part on a empty trailer. I am sure it would cost a fortune to ship it here but it could be done.

onthemove

Wow interesting reading your opinions.
In Aus we do have a higher minimal wage than the USA but everything here is expensive. The new model of my Tvan camper for example is pushing AU$80k. Average wage might be somewhere in the AU$40k per year range. I don’t really think that income or class has too much bearing on our love for adventure. For some reason Aussie’s love to get out and travel. A lot of us like to do what you guys call “overlanding”. We cover huge distances with not much in between. Like 700km of gravel corrugated roads with little towns very 200km for example. Nearest city being 1000’s of km away. This has fuelled our passion for well built vehicles and gear. Although some of our manufacturers have struggled with cheap Chinese imports being brought in and have now ceased production.
I do agree that Americans seem to love big RV’s. I think Aussies would too but we don’t really have the vehicles to tow them (although you can get them but $$$) and our RV parks are setup to normally cater for smaller trailers so towing something bigger than 25’ will be testing.
Saying that the US population is more than 10 times AU and I’m sure there are more than enough hard core tourers that would love a piece of our Aussie ingenuity ?

alia176

Explorer
There are some really well written dialogue on this thread and I have enjoyed reading them. I especially love to hear the viewpoints from the Australians on this "overlanding" culture that is in the fledgling state in USA.

I for one can't justify the $$$$ for a box with wheels that basically carries a glorified RTT. So, I'm looking forward to seeing more trailers with hard flooring, off the ground that provides decent headroom to change clothing like a human and not a monkey

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

alia176

Explorer
And 'Mericans typically fall into the "bigger is better" coupled with "quantity over quality" categories. Big houses, with crappy windows, floor covering, etc etc. Big RV trailers with multiple pop-outs, wimpy tires, big screen TVs, granite this & that...and all made of cheap materials that won't survive a trip or two down a gravel road. Most Americans within the RV sector want to replicate being at home...sandwiched together with like minded folks.
This is particularly evident with our USA "overlanders" who keep insisting on designing their trailers with cheap, noisy generators.

I camped with a fella who uses an electric 12vdc drip coffee maker, 12vdc electric oven to heat up food in containers that his wife put together and so on . Not judging, just an observation of millennials.

onthemove

There are some really well written dialogue on this thread and I have enjoyed reading them. I especially love to hear the viewpoints from the Australians on this "overlanding" culture that is in the fledgling state in USA.

I for one can't justify the $$$$ for a box with wheels that basically carries a glorified RTT. So, I'm looking forward to seeing more trailers with hard flooring, off the ground that provides decent headroom to change clothing like a human and not a monkey
emoji16.png

I agree totally. That’s why I think a couple of the Aussie designs are amazing. My Tvan for example has a hard deck that sits off the ground and is height adjustable with individual legs. The tent then attaches to this. It gives a floor area of about 7’ x 6’. I set mine up on my own over the Easter break and it takes me about 3 minutes. Also when packing up it doesn’t matter if the canvas is wet as it stores in the hatch.

Attachments

• EA166CE9-7A67-4993-8D60-EEFDF2A8D515.jpeg
    EA166CE9-7A67-4993-8D60-EEFDF2A8D515.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15

alia176

Explorer
I agree totally. That’s why I think a couple of the Aussie designs are amazing. My Tvan for example has a hard deck that sits off the ground and is height adjustable with individual legs. The tent then attaches to this. It gives a floor area of about 7’ x 6’. I set mine up on my own over the Easter break and it takes me about 3 minutes. Also when packing up it doesn’t matter if the canvas is wet as it stores in the hatch.

It's very nice to hear your view points from the other side of the pond and your trailer is simply, what do they say over there "bees knees"? ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles