What is the best/cleanest Looking Option for Filling in Ambulance Light holes

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Complete different direction... possibly for some. Throw in clear lenses and G4 led bulbs... almost no power, and no holes to fill.

Deshet

Adventurer
I like the usability of an Ambulance but I hate pulling up in what can easily be identified as an Ambulance.

Thanks

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
One other thing to think of is that the holes behind the lights are great access points for getting at your wiring and running pipework etc.

You can get 1/16 aluminum sheets from most good metal suppliers that you could use and just silicon/screw over the holes. It would blend in fairly well and still be removable to allow access if required.

c9d1039ff150f2ad1dfb4f1fd2d50825.jpg

a98d5549688eaa1ed7c4e644dbbf7045.jpg

ricardo

Observer
I got this one..

Go to any to any shop that makes ducts for heating and air conditioning, those guys are super skillful and usually pretty cheap to..

Bring your own patterns/measurements and the aluminum (nothing with heat treatment, since is harder to work and prone to crack) they can build you the "Step (wall thickness of the original panel of the box) and then you just need to glue them in place (industrial glues are amazing this days)

chromehorseii

Any one have experience doing this with compound curves? My van was a Demers Ambulance and their covers are the aerodynamic kind. I'm missing the one in the upper rear.

86scotty

Cynic
I like the usability of an Ambulance but I hate pulling up in what can easily be identified as an Ambulance.

Thanks

I couldn't agree more, but I think for most people, it's going to still look like an ambulance. Still, I want one too.

gmtech

Observer
went to Menards the other day with buddy to pick up 16 foot metal roof trim. pulled up to the gate keeper. looked sideways at ambo... I don't even realize anymore what it is when I drive it. bet they thought it was weird coming to pick up paneling

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Any one have experience doing this with compound curves? My van was a Demers Ambulance and their covers are the aerodynamic kind. I'm missing the one in the upper rear.

For complex curves I’d heat plastic on a Teflon sheet in the oven at about 375*. Then drape it over a plaster and use vacuum to suck it tight to the mould. Let it cool thoroughly and clean up the edges. Even with polypropylene the finished product would be almost unbreakable. You can even use Lexan... but it’s far more difficult to heat to avoid bubbling.

Repo3004

This guy has a twist on filling in the gaps... nice ambulance build. I picked up an International 4400 and all the lights were removed so I'm looking for something myself. Right now there is some kind of decal tape covering the holes. I counted 24ea of the Wheelen 900 Series holes I need to fill. I haven't identified the smaller size holes like on the hood yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles