Outdoor gear lab review of best camping stoves, 2019

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Agree, PS stoves set the bar kinda high. Rugged, simple, functional. I anticipate handing mine down to my kids.

The stoves on the list will serve most folks well for typical weekend warrior use (which is 98.37% of us).

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Partner stoves are nice, but there is a fair bit of irrational exuberance regarding them when price is factored in. They will last forever, but have some quirks that cheap stoves mostly don't. They are loud as hell, the windscreens and cover blow over spectacularly if a gust comes from behind (from back of operator), no factory ignition.

obchristo

Interesting.... What they did not mention is that the Jetboil Genesis and Eureka Spire LX have EXACTLY the same valve and burner assemblies. 8 full turns from off to full blast give you far greater flame control than the CampChef Everest or any other stove out there.

Ex Animo

I've read reviews at Outdoor Gear Lab a number of times and have never found them thorough or attentive to details. Their mattress review, for example: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-camping-mattress. Honestly, I find better knowledge of the fine points of gear in forums, especially backpacking forums.

I agree with you, there are some reviews that seem spot on with my experience on a given product and some reviews that seem a bit off. They claim the MSR PocketRocket as the best backpacking stove, I haven't used many other stoves to compare with but that $40 little stove has served me strong for 8+ years on tons of trips. I think with every review site you have to take things with a grain of salt and dig around for other reviews.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer

I had that Coleman stove once, and still have the smaller version. They were both good at the time. Now I much prefer the Gas One Camp Stove https://www.amazon.com/Gas-ONE-Camp...01LW87Z9O/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 It's much easier to use----no pressure pumping, no pouring (and spilling) gas. It's more reliable too---the Coleman needs periodic maintenance and replacement parts. The only downside is disposal of propane canisters.

Reactions: WVI

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Old school, I love it. I don't have a self-contained white gas stove like that, just 2- and 3-burner camp stoves and 1-burner backpacking stoves with separate tanks (I do like my MSR a lot).

As a result I tend to use a Gigapower canister stove in this situation. I prefer liquid fuel and ideally a multi-fuel stove though, so if I didn't already have a glut of stoves I would follow this recommendation!

I love my Everest 2. I had a partner stove on my Tacoma build and it was bulletproof, but the flame control finicky. Can't go wrong with an old school MSR White Gas though. Multifuel is convenient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier