Sawtooth Unlimited - Off Road Pop Top Camper Trailer

stomperxj

Explorer
We've been shopping for another trailer and this one checks most if not all my boxes. Love the narrow and long dimensions, interior layout, near full size door, etc. I still find it rather depressing no commercial interests are offering something similar here in the US. I've thought about going the home builder route but life threw me a curve and I'm without a garage/workshop...but kudos to you Jess for your intelligent design, fab skills and...sharing all with us! Now, to find someone to build one for us!

Thanks for the nice comments spresso (y)(y)
I can't wait for him to sell the instructions for it. Assuming he does like his other trailer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thinking about plans but I have to get this one built and tested first (y)

Amazing planning .like going to see a orchestra on your videos Have a question if you have a little time. Been making my skins hand laid fiberglass foam glass .do you think that a frp /foam/ glass is possible . need the fiberglass on the in side .Using trailers as rentals . So need to be able to steam clean inter. The panels are infill no load Fiberglass Railtop skeleton frame . Thank you for the videos

You absolutely could do that but I would use the skin on both sides like I am currently doing. You can make the entire body waterproof inside and out with this method. No glass cloth needed at all.

New video will be out soon. I took some time off during winter so the next couple vids will be what I got done before the cold hit. Then you'll be caught up to the current state of the trailer.

opp

Observer
'You can make the entire body waterproof inside and out with this method. No glass cloth needed at all.''
What about the heat from steaming .A lot of bad bugs in rentals fleas ticks bed bugs scabies mites

stomperxj

Explorer
What about the heat from steaming .A lot of bad bugs in rentals fleas ticks bed bugs scabies mites

Rent to cleaner people? :p I can't really answer that for you. This is the first trailer I've built with this stuff and I'm not done.

Reactions: opp

ITTOG

What welding machine are you using for this work? I am curious because I plan to take up welding and I'm curious which machine would be best. At first I was looking at the Lincoln pro mig 210 but. It might be overkill for what I need so I started looking at the Lincoln weld-pak 180. While it should do what I want, it may not do everything.

stomperxj

Explorer
What welding machine are you using for this work? I am curious because I plan to take up welding and I'm curious which machine would be best. At first I was looking at the Lincoln pro mig 210 but. It might be overkill for what I need so I started looking at the Lincoln weld-pak 180. While it should do what I want, it may not do everything.

I am using a Hobart Handler 190 for all this. It's a great welder but I wish I could have afforded a Hobart 210. The 190 is a fine welder and will do up to 1/4" just fine. I use straight CO2. Mix gas is for rich people :) It's about $820 on Amazon and comes with a spool gun for aluminum. Just need a bottle of argon to do aluminum.

Most welding supply stores will let you test out machines if you ask them. I know a couple around me will let you run a few test beads. Probably depends on the store.

ITTOG

I am using a Hobart Handler 190 for all this. It's a great welder but I wish I could have afforded a Hobart 210. The 190 is a fine welder and will do up to 1/4" just fine. I use straight CO2. Mix gas is for rich people :) It's about $820 on Amazon and comes with a spool gun for aluminum. Just need a bottle of argon to do aluminum.

Most welding supply stores will let you test out machines if you ask them. I know a couple around me will let you run a few test beads. Probably depends on the store.
I am afraid the 180 might not have enough power thus the struggle and you kind of insinuated the concern. I would much prefer to buy it and save money but between the power and 30% duty cycle I am afraid I won't be happy. The 210 is 40% duty cycle so a little better. I think I know which one now. Thanks for the info.

I didn't know you could use straight CO2. Obviously early in the learning curve.

stomperxj

Explorer
How does it do with straight CO2?

Burns a bit hotter with CO2 but you get more spatter. Sort of a trade off but CO2 is dirt cheap compared to mix. About $20 to refill in my area.

I am afraid the 180 might not have enough power thus the struggle and you kind of insinuated the concern. I would much prefer to buy it and save money but between the power and 30% duty cycle I am afraid I won't be happy. The 210 is 40% duty cycle so a little better. I think I know which one now. Thanks for the info.

I didn't know you could use straight CO2. Obviously early in the learning curve.

Good luck. Hopefully you can get the bigger machine. I'll end up getting one as soon as the budget allows. You just need an adapter fitting to hook a normal regulator to a CO2 bottle.

stomperxj

Explorer
New video up. This was actually last November. I took the winter off. Epoxy doesn't like cold temps and it was too much of a hassle and cost to heat the shop up to 80* in the middle of winter. This is essentially where I am now. Work will start back up soon so the vids will be more real time from now on.

stomperxj

Explorer
I may not be seeing the who picture or missed the discussion earlier but why are your shackles inverted? Are you assuming that you have enough weight to add still that the leaves will flatten out more and push them back?

Correct. The chassis makes up about 50% of the total dry weight so I made an educated guess at the shackle angle. If it's way off when it's all said and done they'll get chopped and repositioned.

zscott

Adventurer
Correct. The chassis makes up about 50% of the total dry weight so I made an educated guess at the shackle angle. If it's way off when it's all said and done they'll get chopped and repositioned.

Gotcha. Great build. One day I will have the patience to tackle a more sophisticated build like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles