Hand Winch worth it or no?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
There a major down side to having a winch with a lot of cable and that is the winch has to work harder if you are only using the top couple of layers because the maximum pulling power of a winch is "Only" available when you are down to the last layer hence why a lot of people buy a winch that is a lot bigger than they need, If you have a winch with a 150ft of cable on it and you are only using the top two layers then your winch only has half the pulling power that it is rated at.

Due to all of the above it is better to own/buy a winch that has less cable on it, because you still get use it's Full pulling power which in turn puts less strain on the Winch.

If you run synthetic line you can 'hitch' the line to get more off the drum if needed to get down to the lower layers very easily ( if you don't want to double line )

I agree that having a TON of line on the winch can cause issues, but not having enough line can be just as big of a headache.

When I convert a winch to synthetic I usually split the difference. On my 8274 and belleview upright winches which have a stock steel cable capacity of 150', I run 90-120 feet of synthetic line. This still lets me reach out fairly far before I have to add an extension. It also helps limit the amount of cable on the drum a little when you need to pull sideways or use the winch for something up close.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'm aware of the drum loss; as you noted, it's also one of the reasons I went with a 9000lb winch over something smaller (I'd have gone 10k if they still made one at the time). I don't have a good place to carry extra cable so I compromise and just carry what's on the spool (in the case of the XD9000 it's 95'). I add a second snatch block to my bag if I know there's a chance I may need it to reduce length/increase pull. As I travel alone most of the time, I try to adhere to the old adage that discretion is the better part of valor and I try to avoid getting myself into situations that require extra work on my part.

Synthetic line winch extensions take up very little space and weigh almost nothing.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
If you run synthetic line you can 'hitch' the line to get more off the drum if needed to get down to the lower layers very easily ( if you don't want to double line )

I agree that having a TON of line on the winch can cause issues, but not having enough line can be just as big of a headache.

When I convert a winch to synthetic I usually split the difference. On my 8274 and belleview upright winches which have a stock steel cable capacity of 150', I run 90-120 feet of synthetic line. This still lets me reach out fairly far before I have to add an extension. It also helps limit the amount of cable on the drum a little when you need to pull sideways or use the winch for something up close.
The trouble with winching is the Anchor is either too far away or too close, There is never a happy medium, So I went with a short Drum and also carry 75ft of Cable,

Short drums are very cool, and most companies make them and they are so compact.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
if it's too close then you're not rigging correctly.
Not really, sometimes you only get one or two options, I have been doing this since the early 80's and I have used everything from power pullers and chain blocks come alongs and hand winches and PTO winches along with 12v Type winches and of coarse Hi-Lift Jacks and even a few methods that are stranger than fiction, The thing is Anchor points are never where you would like them to be so we just make do with what we got and hope for the best,(y)

? ??

hemifoot

Observer
10 feet from truck to anchor turns into 30 with 2 snatchblocks and 2 d rings.not ideal but much better than 10.i've also been doing it for a long time.here's what i've learned.the lead truck occupants almost always get the muddiest.don't be those guys.if you're behind the lead and you know you will be winching,freewheel the drum and hook the line to the guy in front,it saves you from crawling in mud.just make sure they stop before the cable does.d rings,snatchblocks and lifting straps are your friends.towstraps are a poor sub for winching when using it for an anchor strap.tail end charlie is almost as bad as front,the ruts are the worst after 3 trucks have been through that bog.by stranger than fiction are you referring to wrapping a tow strap around the tire and driving yourself out or using your spare as a deadman?

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
10 feet from truck to anchor turns into 30 with 2 snatchblocks and 2 d rings.not ideal but much better than 10.i've also been doing it for a long time.here's what i've learned.the lead truck occupants almost always get the muddiest.don't be those guys.if you're behind the lead and you know you will be winching,freewheel the drum and hook the line to the guy in front,it saves you from crawling in mud.just make sure they stop before the cable does.d rings,snatchblocks and lifting straps are your friends.towstraps are a poor sub for winching.tail end charlie is almost as bad as front,the ruts are the worst after 3 trucks have been through that bog.by stranger than fiction are you referring to wrapping a tow strap around the tire and driving yourself out or using your spare as a deadman?
Amen to that,

I have done some crazy stuff from simple branches to rebuilding the road/Track, Anything to get unstuck, Once I had to winch a vehicle up a 400 metre track that ran along the edge of a mountain side using just one of those hand puller Cable doo dads, Not bad for a $20.00 hand winch/puller, But I can assure you I slept well but the next morning I was stiff as a board, But it just goes to show that a person does not have to spend big bucks to get by, Not Ideal but I did learn a lot about recovery and that I needed to invest in to having the right gear, Never again.

hemifoot

Observer
i guess it was 3 trucks ago i decided i didn't need winching stuff.until an atv'er ran me off a logging road while i was out scouting remote fishing lakes and cost me nearly a grand in off road recovery.at the time i thought maybe i shouldn't have swerved off the road.the little prick didn't even stop.had to walk 5 kilometers each way just to get cell reception. now i never leave home without all my gear and if you are on your atv and broken down,don't even ask,sucks to be you.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
i guess it was 3 trucks ago i decided i didn't need winching stuff.until an atv'er ran me off a logging road while i was out scouting remote fishing lakes and cost me nearly a grand in off road recovery.at the time i thought maybe i shouldn't have swerved off the road.the little prick didn't even stop.had to walk 5 kilometers each way just to get cell reception. now i never leave home without all my gear and if you are on your atv and broken down,don't even ask,sucks to be you.
I found the rest of my recovery gear on the weekend which I am over the moon about But I was surprized just how heavy that lot weighs, there is about 25ft of 3/8 Chain 3 snatch blocks some Hi-Lift attachments and about 4 Bow Shackles and the normal straps etc and it must weigh 150/200Lbs and that don't include all the other gear that won't fit in the Box/Trunk, I am sure there are easier way to have fun, Lol.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
I still carry a Jackall (hi-Lift style jack) in my Series Land Rover, and it does double-duty as a hand winch. Every now and then I question this method vs. a winch, but it’s a slow-n-steady, reliable recovery method and every component has multiple uses (jack, chains, winching kit, straps, shackles, extension, etc.). If I’m completely honest, 9 times out of 10, traction boards would have got me rolling.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Here's my little 46 Willys CJ2A. It looks clean, but that's because I give it a good washing every time I take it four-wheeling (to include pulling the brake drums and cleaning inside). It looks real good from a few feet away. It has been stuck a few times, and I've always been glad I put a winch up front decades ago (Ramsey 6000lb - wish I had got an 8000lb winch). Sometimes when you're doing serious off-roading and you get stuck, it is a winch that saves you - I'm speaking from experience.

I love my little flatty & it'll go anywhere (thanks to being locked front and rear), but it is cramped to drive. And my right knee was killing me the last time I took it out for a spin. I think I'm just getting old - glad I've got a TJ (also with a winch that's been used). On the inside of that swing-away spare tire carrier is mounted a hi-lift jack. It is protected from the elements by the spare tire and Jerry can. And the workings have a cover over them.

I've seen videos of folks using a hi-lift and chain as a winch. It worked (if ever so slowly). It also gave the user a workout. While watching those videos, I always thought "I'd have been done winching and been long gone by the time they finished doing the hi-lift thing". And I can't picture using some sort of hand winch or hi-lift as a winch if I were by myself - I need someone inside to steer and brake and maybe give it some gas once I reach a certain point. It just doesn't seem safe not having someone inside the cab when doing that sort of recovery.

Someone's going to ask: 1946 Willys CJ2A (with a 3A windshield frame). 2000cc Pinto engine (Novak adapter), T-90 tranny with T-90C gears (lower first gear), Spicer 18 transfer case with 2WD low capability, Warn OD, Dana 25 front/Dana 44 rear with 5.38 gears and Lock-Rights both ends. Rancho 2.5" lift with Rancho 5000 shocks, 31" tires on 15x8" black spokes, 11" drum brakes both ends, Saginaw manual steering, Con-Ferr skid plates (tranny and U-bolt skids), full roll cage, 69 Firebird seats, Valley swing-away spare tire carrier, Vietnam era M38A1 narrowed rear bumper, YJ bumperettes, 2" receivers front/rear, custom diamond plate to cover ugly stuff, Ramsey 6000lb winch, tow bar, 10lb CO2 tank, CB, Hi-Lift, & lots of other small stuff I'm probably forgetting.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Here's my little 46 Willys CJ2A. It looks clean, but that's because I give it a good washing every time I take it four-wheeling (to include pulling the brake drums and cleaning inside). It looks real good from a few feet away. It has been stuck a few times, and I've always been glad I put a winch up front decades ago (Ramsey 6000lb - wish I had got an 8000lb winch). Sometimes when you're doing serious off-roading and you get stuck, it is a winch that saves you - I'm speaking from experience.

I love my little flatty & it'll go anywhere (thanks to being locked front and rear), but it is cramped to drive. And my right knee was killing me the last time I took it out for a spin. I think I'm just getting old - glad I've got a TJ (also with a winch that's been used). On the inside of that swing-away spare tire carrier is mounted a hi-lift jack. It is protected from the elements by the spare tire and Jerry can. And the workings have a cover over them.

I've seen videos of folks using a hi-lift and chain as a winch. It worked (if ever so slowly). It also gave the user a workout. While watching those videos, I always thought "I'd have been done winching and been long gone by the time they finished doing the hi-lift thing". And I can't picture using some sort of hand winch or hi-lift as a winch if I were by myself - I need someone inside to steer and brake and maybe give it some gas once I reach a certain point. It just doesn't seem safe not having someone inside the cab when doing that sort of recovery.

View attachment 507440View attachment 507441
They are incredible Vehicles and like my CJ5 they just seem to keep going and for such a small engine they can pull the house down, Mine had a Ford Falcon 200ci 6 cylinder and it was too fast, But on standards 7.00 X 16 Dunlop Major Tyres on it it never got stuck, worse thing I ever did was sell my CJ5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94