Water container recs/stowage of them...

rayra

Expedition Leader
No. That is a milspec scepter water jug / MWC. Same overall dimensions as the milspec MFC, with a single handle and a totally different cap.

This is a 'civ' Scepter 2-L water jug -
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/scepter-5-gallon-military-style-water-can
They're wider at the base, to make them tougher to tip over. Same with their 'civ' fuel jugs. They're trying to not get sued out of existence, like Blitz.
But it means their 'civ' jugs dont fit in any standard jerry can holder / rack.

whitenoise

Adventurer
If I had a JK I would do @Dan Grec 's setup documented here minus the $$$ UV purification system and level gauge. Running water is fundamental to camp living so it is totally worth the cost: http://theroadchoseme.com/diy-4x4-water-tank-pump-filtration-and-treatment Supplement it with a single 3-5 gallon container stored inside the vehicle for emergencies and/or in place of a level gauge.

This has worked for him living full time in his JK driving around Africa for the past 3 years, so it will probably work for you too.

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
If I had a JK I would do @Dan Grec 's setup documented here minus the $$$ UV purification system and level gauge. Running water is fundamental to camp living so it is totally worth the cost: http://theroadchoseme.com/diy-4x4-water-tank-pump-filtration-and-treatment Supplement it with a single 3-5 gallon container stored inside the vehicle for emergencies and/or in place of a level gauge.

This has worked for him living full time in his JK driving around Africa for the past 3 years, so it will probably work for you too.

Cheers. The system has been brilliant.
As you said, I would skip the level gauge next time. Once you live in it long enough, you get a good sixth sense for how full it is.
For the "emergency" extra amount, I have a black bag I use as a shower than holds 10L (2.6 gal). Once or twice I pumped it into the water tank so it was filtered and UV treated then used it for drinking.

-Dan

Overlandtowater

No. That is a milspec scepter water jug / MWC. Same overall dimensions as the milspec MFC, with a single handle and a totally different cap.

This is a 'civ' Scepter 2-L water jug -
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/scepter-5-gallon-military-style-water-can
They're wider at the base, to make them tougher to tip over. Same with their 'civ' fuel jugs. They're trying to not get sued out of existence, like Blitz.
But it means their 'civ' jugs dont fit in any standard jerry can holder / rack.
Thanks rayra looks like Im going to have to make a trip to TS.

St8ton

I'm currently using this scepter with a rocket pump I made. It's working fairly well. Stores nicely and provides 5 gallons of water. I connect a hose to run the water out of the vehicles to cups or pots...however I need it.
4WTpEsLl.jpg

4Eb4JxBl.jpg

krick3tt

Adventurer
Tried to carry a Scepter can on my roof rack horizontal. In 75 miles I lost 1/2 the water, won't do that again.

carbon60

Explorer
The Scepter MWCs are airtight, let alone watertight, when properly tightened. As with the MFCs, you end up needing a weird tool.

Never needed a wrench for either MWC or MFC. If you use a wrench to tighten an MFC container you risk breaking the gasket retainer inside the cap. Never more than hand tighten.

carbon60

Explorer
Never needed a wrench for either MWC or MFC. If you use a wrench to tighten an MFC container you risk breaking the gasket retainer inside the cap. Never more than hand tighten.

Both types always leaked without some extra muscle, for me. But once snug they never leak. So YMMV.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I also carry water bricks, they don't leak. That Sceptor that was on my roof did. won't use a tool to tighten as it screws up the gasket. Just won't use the scepter cans on the roof again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles