Stow-able dog bed/cot for spoiled camp pooch

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Hi,
I have a 20 lbs. dog and she doesn't like to lay in the dirt. Since she sleeps in the RTT with me, I don't particularly want her to lie in the dirt either.

In the past I've hauled around a human camp chair for her to curl up in at camp (usually in her sleeping bag) and have decided that I need some sort of cot for her that will take up less space in the Jeep and will hopefully put an end to me having to ask other campers to get out of my dogs' chair. o_O We now have another small boy of the same breed. It would be great to find a cot for two little pooches.

There are piles of them on the Interwebs, but I wanted to ask if anyone here has found something that they really like. Oh, and it's just for the dogs, so cheap would be good.

Thanks.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Thanks for posting those guys. I'd prefer something that gets a little smaller if it exists. Last night I dug into my old backpacking gear and found two Helinox camp chairs that I had forgotten about (one small and one large).

The small one (Helinox One) flipped over frontwards the first time the pooch hopped into it and I doubt she will hop into it again, lol. But, the big one (Helinox Camp Chair) will stay stable if either pooch hops in or out. The big one has two slightly bent tubes because I'm a chubby dude...but it's plenty stout enough for either dog. It gets really small when packed too. I think I'm gonna try that for the first part of this season.

More popular options would be good though. Thanks.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Try the K&H dog bed, same basic design as the one posted but less than $30. Just pull the short verticle legs to store flat. Replacement covers are available for less than $9. We get ours at Chewy

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Well, I found a deal on a Snow Peak dog cot and ordered it. When stowed it's 6 x 6 x 32 (which is fairly long), but it will fit in the Jeep "on end". I'll report back after we use it over Easter weekend. It wasn't cheap, but I've been eyeing them for a while and didn't realize that they are available in the U.S. now. Both pooches should fit on it in their sleeping bag.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Got it today...and...yup. That will work.

Most everything we buy today is junk. This isn't junk. Not saying that it's "magical"...but it is a good purchase that isn't made of plastic and crap.

The puppies seem to like it.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I think they are available on Amazon right now for retail. I only buy Snow Peak when it's on sale. Under my bankers' orders.

Scoutman

Explorer
While not a cot we've been really pleased with the Mountainsmith K-9 Beds. We ended up getting a second one when we got the dingo (other dog is an Australian Sheppard). The bottom is a slick water resistant material that works fine on most ground. They stuff back into a sack just like a sleeping bag and compression straps keep them compact for packing. They're one of the first things we pull out when we're setting up camp so the dogs know this is our space and have a place to lay down. When we're packing up a few good shakes to get the hair off and then some time in the sunshine and they're good to go. Occasionally we'll throw them in the washing machine if they get too grungy. When we're headed to bed we'll toss them on the floor of our rtt annex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94