Help Identifying Tie Rod Parts

7.3_clubwagon

Hey All. This is my first post on here. I purchased a 1998 7.3 Club Wagon back in December. It has been converted by Quigley. Last week, I managed to break the passenger side tie rod end. Being I didnt have time, and didnt want to screw with steering components, I took it to a shop to be repaired.

I had contacted quigley prior to purchase to verify the conversion, etc. The following pictures were sent to quigley to help figure out what was needed as far as replacement components. Now quigley states that this is NOT their steering system, and that it has been modified. The shop i took the van to is having trouble identifying the exact replacement as well.

Does anyone have any insight onto what might actually be on my van? Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 31

7.3_clubwagon

Thanks, Chris. After doing a little more digging on the GM Y-link set up, it looks very very similar to what may be on there!

My goal is to do a leaf conversion on this when the funds allow, and UJoint will be my first turn!

b dkw1

Observer
Those tie-rods look like tubing with hiem adapters welded on hence the jam nuts and not pinch collars. If the tie-rod is striped out you may be boned. Or have a new one welded up.

toddz69

Explorer
Yeah, ujoint is right. Those pieces look to be the popular "Chevy 1 ton" tie rod ends used in many, many conversions. A little bit of googling will quickly reveal the PNs of what you need. And as bdkw1 (is that you, Brian?) notes, it looks like the threads have stripped out of the welded -in heim adapters so there's going to be some work needed there too.

Todd Z.

7.3_clubwagon

Thanks for the Input, all. Now that it has been identified, any downside or detriment of this set up? All has seemed great up until the failure.

toddz69

Explorer
Thanks for the Input, all. Now that it has been identified, any downside or detriment of this set up? All has seemed great up until the failure.

Not really - I'd figure out the root cause of the problem of the threads stripped out and maybe see if you can get a tie rod with the threads tapped into it directly rather than the weld-in adapters (which sometimes have limited thread length). The beauty is that these ends are available any places - including at 5:00 on a Sunday evening in a small boat/auto parts store in El Rosario in Baja as we discovered a few years ago. The biggest problem you might have is that piece on the pass side where the drag link attaches. It can bend (which is why we were looking for one in El Rosario) under extremely hard use - we had rolled our race truck and needed one.

Todd Z.

Len.Barron

Observer
Jam nut probably came loose, that' about the only way to strip those out. if you just replace the welded in bung be sure to not get the 7/8" heim bung they have a different TPI than the 7/8" TRE bung and be sure to get the correct left or right hand threaded bung.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles